Bermuda Trip Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Bermuda Trip Report

I spent last week in Bermuda at a sales conference and had a chance to fish. I opted for the DIY trip instead of hiring a guide. The cost of the guide was higher than I cared to pay so based on some tips given here and by doing other research online I attempted it alone.

On Friday I caught the #7 Southshore bus up to Somerset. The stop was near a market so my wife and I grabbed some food for lunch and then made the five minute walk to the park Juro described in his report. Somerset Long bay shown here as seen from Google Earth is one of the islands larger flats.

The air temperature was in the mid 70's and I suspect the water temp was in the low to mid 60's. It was sunny with light winds.

The flat was a sandy bottom with some chunks of coral and stones. There was a lot of vegetation (turtle grass?) on the bottom and some clumps of coral/rock. I did not see any bonefish and only saw two fish in total (a trigger fish and parrot fish). The tide was starting to drop making wading out farther easier but still only allowing me to fish about 100 yards from the shore. There was some forage on the bottom including small crabs and tons of snails.

I did not fish all the way to the north or south (towards Cambridge Cottages) as I was unsure of beach ownership rights which was a shame as the better looking bottom was to the north and south. I should have just gone for it and apologized later but I have a personal issue with trespassing so I lean on the conservative side and don't do it.

It seems given the limited flats that fishing from a boat in Bermuda is the way to go in order to access to whole beach (private and public) and having the option to run and gun looking for fish in different spots.

The next day I fished of some rocks near our hotel for a few hours but did not catch anything. Fishing the shore in this way seems to require a sinking line which I had but did not bother use.

It was a good learning experience and I will certainly do a few things differently next time including serious consideration of hiring the guide, learning about access rights to water off private beaches, and using a scooter instead of the bus to hit more spots for the DIY days out.

Here are some photos:

Looking North at Somerset Long Bay

and looking south towards Daniels Head and Cambridge Cottages

Me starting out and looking for signs of life

Watch out for these guys. Not on the flat but was at our hotel beach.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Scott -

You didn't tell me you were going to take the pink bus with your lady friend! I would have recommended otherwise. You may have been a bit too frugal with that decision, knowing the fairer sex

Well if you took her to the frog and onion for some of their magic punch the bus ride would be quickly forgotten. The demeanor of the people getting on at that stop is amusing, not unlike the Fenway faithful getting on the 'T" after a win against the Yankees.

As I mentioned before in my posts/messages I was there in August, and thinking it was going to be too hot but with Bermuda being so far north it was nice.

This early I have to wonder. For bonefish water temps 60 degrees is extremely cold, 75-85 is preferred and 90 is too hot.

I would have talked to "the" guide (only one) to see how enthusiastic he was about the opportunities.

But I did get the chills looking at those pics, that was EXACTLY where I had serious shots at some big cruising bones and I am certain if someone was to be there at the right time of year in the morning and evening hours they would be waving their tails as well. I have much more tactical knowledge now than I had back then and am confident should I ever go back, given the right conditions.

The area around the aquarium had a lot of jacks, cuda and snappers as well.

Well look at it this way... it was a business trip. You brought someone you care about. So the fishing sucked! WHATEVA!

(thanks for the report)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM

I had the chance to fish Bermuda in 96 as I was lucky enough to work there for 5 months, I had some very good fishing off the rocks close to Grotto beach where I stayed. I was hoping for the chance at some bonefish but was very Naive about them at the time and had never even in fact seen one.
I did spend half a day chasing Mullet thinking they were Bones until I was corrected by a local guy who did clue me in some, explaining for the most part you have to look for them and see them in order to catch them, this was at Tuckers Town where I guess there are a few. I know from a friend of mine that there are indeed some big ones there but not in great numbers I guess.
I did have lots of fun with the Palometa in the surf that seem to always be eager to bite and I did catch my first Wahoo there again something I will never forget.
Fond memories of a beautiful place, hope some day I get to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.