Rogue River winter fish report - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2001, 10:09 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Fred,

You say that below Gold Ray is a boat show. It has been a few years since I have fished the Rogue (about 30). I don't remember below the Gold Ray dam seeing any boats at all. I remember lots of rapids/pocket style water A few miles below (my distances are probably off) the dam I remember some big water that would be diffucult to put a boat through unless we are talking a raft. Anyway thanks very much for taking me down memory lane with your reports on the Rogue.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2001, 12:20 PM

Hi Kerry! Sorry for the delay responding. Been up on the Sandy River (east of Portland) for the "1st Annual Spey Clave." Wonderful time; at 100 spey casters on Saturday and 50 plus for sure on Sunday.

Anyway, your memory of the river is still dead on (you sound like you've been able to avoid "Sr. Moments"). Launching a drift boat right below Gold Ray, anchor out and do a (as I understand it) a fairly long dicey run down to the next takeout. There is a rough takeout towards the end of the run on the South side so guys probably launch here and motor up.

You can bank fish this area, the very top end below the dam deadline seems to get the most play (always drift rigs). Fly fishing is tough except in low water because it's pretty "heart-in-mouth" wading even with a staff.

Below this you have several easier fly access waters, etc. The Rogue River fishing map (costs about $6 bucks if memory serves) is a wonderful guide and the milage figures are dead on accurate. If you (others) want to hit the Rogue this is a must buy map. Will save you a lot of fiddling around on the who, what and where.
Fred
Old 05-08-2001, 12:27 PM

Kerry, forgot to add:

The Corp of Eng. has increased the Lost Creek Lake/Dam flow from 700 cfs to 2704 cfs over the past several days. This should bring the little buggers up in a hurry.

Actual fish count past Gold Ray as of 5-4-2001 is 8930 winter steelhead (most will be downers by now) and 1065 Spring Chnk. All reports say that the Springers are charging over Ranie Falls area (30 miles below Grants Pass) in very large numbers. Think this must be true as the salmon count jumped almost 900 fish (over Gold Ray) in less than 5 days.

Think I know where I'll be come Saturday morning at sun up! Lower Touville here I come!! Weather here is running in mid to high 80's so fish early, sleep later.
>=))))))'>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.