Narragannsett Fly Box - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Narragannsett Fly Box

Hey, Striper Dudes --

Looks like I'll get the longed-for opportunity to fish Stripers in Narragannsett Bay come this mid-June.

I was wondering what assortment of flies might give me a reasonable shot at some fish. We will be fishing, as I understand it, from boats, from flats and from shore.

Do I need to protect myself against Bluefish at this time of year, and, if so, what are the best modifications to the leader?

Thanks for your help,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Eric...the usual flies should do, primarily clouser/deep eel patterns tied anywhere from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches. I like brighter colors for surf ie. chartreous over white with gold flash .....for flats more subtle with little to no flash in olive over white....chartreous will work as well....last yr on the flats I went more micro (1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inches) with increased success......clouser style flies but tied sparse....I used all natural materials....sparse olive deer hair over a tuff of white maribou, no flash and micro barbell eyes in white.
re blues.....they usually arrive at the Cape around the 3rd week of May, so they should be where you will be earlier.....I pre-loop the wire in 10 inch sections and if blues are present in #'s I take off my tippet and loop the leader directly to the butt section. They are not leader shy. Alternatively if there is a mixture of blues and stripers...I use the same flies above but tie some with the barbell just in front of the bend, thus leaving about a one inch "bite" section on the front end of the fly.
This is my preference as there is no wire leader to spook stripers....and they don't seem to mind the exposed front of the shank.
Add in a few silverside patterns and you'll be fine 90% of the time....for deep eels fished in surf and or off shore...use medium weight barbell eyes...I like to tie them about 3/4 of an inch back to obtain a nice sand eel snope front and also lessen the "boing" effect when casting...they are more balanced unlike me
Ron
Old 04-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Wow -- great! Thanks!

-- E
Old 04-05-2008, 03:59 PM

The Bay is pretty big. Where will you be fishing from, and shore only or boat too?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Eric,

Your coming at the very best time of year for Narragansett Bay. Spring fish'in for stripers should be at its peak. Schools of adult bunker should be around. That brings larger fish with more consistant fishing. Your catch of bass should still out number blues about 5-1. Smaller blues that time of year, but fun on a fly rod.

Six inches of Tiger wire should do the trick for a bite guard.
Like vtloon said, more specifics about fishing techniques are needed.
Think about different fly lines too.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Fly chucker

If you're in the bay in June, you might be hitting peak squid time too. That can be some hot fishing, especially on moon tides.

Have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.