Fishing around the East Hamptons - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
Fishing around the East Hamptons

Hi All,

Its a looong time since I was here. Things in Ireland have changed dramatically as I am sure you all know now. Not only have we started our second season of salmon angling with no drift nets but our Taoiseach (prime minister) resigned yesterday!

Anyway the trout and salmon fishing is going well and most of the fisheries are reporting good sport, though as ever weather plays its part and those restricted to getting out at the weekends are not getting much of a break.

BUT, the thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that I have 14 days in the East Hamptons in June. I will of course be travelling with the family but fully expect to get at least 3 full days to fish. I was hoping to get one day sea fishing afloat, one day sea fishing from the shore and one day at trout/panfish. There is no end to www info out there, and I think I have found some decent charters and guides, but I can't find much on the freshwater side.

Essentially I would be really happy to get some recommendations from you guys on guides and charters for the area.

I have never fished in America and though this is a family holiday I have a chance to get out for a small few dedicated angling days. In addition the house we have is right on the beach (god bless the in-laws) so if the conditions suit I get out early for a cast if anything is about. My day dream at the moment is taking the kids to beach so Niamh can have a well earned lie in - and in the process I catch a few bluefish and a striper and can bear a day outlet shopping safe in the knoweldge that Niamh can have another lie in the next day...

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

All the best,

Mylo.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Long Island

Hi Mylo,

I can't give you any advice on saltwater guides other then it's important to book early to get the better guides. That time of year in East Hampton will have plenty of vacationers. In terms of freshwater your options are limited. Long Island has three spring creeks that are worth visiting. Closest to you will be the Carmans River in Yaphank. The upper river and the lower river by the dam is the best fishing but it pales in comparision to the other two creeks. The Nissequogue and Connetquot rivers are two pay fisheries that are worth visiting while you're there. I'm not sure what they cost per session but a few years back it was around $20 for a 4 hour session. The Nissequogue also has a spring fed pond that is loaded with large trout and bass. I'm not sure if it's still open but there used to be a fly shop in Bohemia called the Flyfishing Super Store and is up the road from the Connetquot State Park that will help with fly selection. The Nissequogue River is in Smithtown, both are about an hour or so drive from East Hampton. You will have to get a NY license which can be purchased at town hall or Wallmart. Site selection is also important so you want to contact the shop (again, if it's still open). There are not a lot of fly shops on LI so it may be difficult if that shop is closed. There are also some good bass fishing options that might be fun on a flyrod. Yaphank Lake has good fishing for largemouth bass as does some of the ponds in Sears Belows Park, both near the fork of the Island. One of my favorites used to be Laurel Lake in Quogue. Big bass in there and it should be wadable all around. Hope that helps a bit. I am dying to fish Ireland/Scotland some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Hi Mylo,
Funny thing you should pop up. I've been wondering if you were still around.
I've been watching the Irish net ban with great interest and hope.
I'll be over to visit the relations in Limerick and Sligo in a few weeks from now.
I hope to do some casual trout fishing, and maybe a day with a gillie on the Moy. I have family in the near Foxford so I may hit that area. But in general I find it hard to get the momentum going on fishing as I play the music in the pubs and visit so many homes for tea and ham sandwiches it hard to get out there. Any way as usual I will pack a 6 wt. and waders and try.
Too bad you won't be coming to the Boston area. I could take you out for some nice local fishing for stripers. Cape Cod is superb and we have lots of members living/fishing there as well.
Oh well, hope to meet up with ya some day.

Lefty
Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Since you are going to be that far out east, you might want to spend a day on Gardiner's Bay. I had the good fortune last June to head out of Orient Point with my cousin on his boss' boat. Gardiner's Bay has vast flats. Although we did most of our fishing from the boat, we anchored up in a few different spots, got out of the boat and waded. The flats were full of stripers. It was a blast. It was one of the best fishing experiences I ever had. If you got the dough, hire a guide for the day. Maybe someone on the forum could recommend one.

Steve
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
Thanks for the pointers.

Gseries; thanks for all the river/pond names. I will be busy checking out those waters. I am almost as excited at the prospect of fishing for the freshwater species we don't have in Ireland as I am for the stripers and blues. There is no doubt you'll have a great trip whether you choose to visit Ireland or scotland. But I'd say there is better and far less expensive salmon fishing in Ireland and no end to the brown trout. And we have some great swff for sea bass (not stripers but fun).

Lefty; Working in the fishing is always a problem, especially after a series of marathon sessions. If you are in Limerick in Late April early May you should try to get up to Lough Derg for the May fly. I'll be around there for a few of the weekends. OR for something a little different (from the Irish experience) try the hot water out fall from Tarbert (45 mins from Limerick) for sea bass... Plenty of trout streams between Limerick and Sligo. Let me know if you need any contacts.

Highway; thanks for that. Will find out more about the flats. Sounds like a lot of fun. What would be the normal price for a day's guided fishing? Is the beach much good in general or would you need to get out in a boat?

If anyone has a guide or charter boat they'd recommend I'd be happy to hear about them.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
I have not fished in East Hampton. I have gone out further to the east to Montauk or west to Moriches and Shinnecock, both good places to fish. When you arrive contact a local fly shop and ask where the action is. In June it should be excellent in any of the places I mentioned. As to the cost of a guide I don't know how much they charge. In and around the Hamptons, I'll bet it ain't cheap. I'd guess at least $400. or more per day. Fishing with someone else will, of course, make it cheaper. Good luck.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.