canal spey day. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

canal spey day.

Just a heads up to let you know there will be a very informal spey get together at the Cape Cod Canal Saturday April 26th beginning around 7:30 am, we will meet in the parking lot to the left behind Gallos skating rink. The hope is to practice different types of casts and techniques , and cast different types of lines, also introduce spey casting techniques for single handers. Skagit lines and short or long bellied spey lines all work here. As the season progresses I hope to have several more. Juro if you can make it would be great to see you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can't commit at this point but it sounds like a good outing and I'll try my best to get there.

One tide question (without me looking it up) - river right, river left or both
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM

Good question Juro.

Low tides around 10:00 am ,which means you get to fish river left and river right from the same spot Hope you can make it.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Pencil me in.....

Hopefully the wind will be from the left
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM

I'll be there. FishHawk
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM
LBFF Mojo

Why so early? Think we could get a better turnout if the time was pushed back. Guys coming down from Maine would have to be out the door by like 4am

I would have to get out by 6am and I usually only do that if there are fish involved

-sean
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 PM

Time?

I'm open as far as the time goes , If a later meeting time works for everyone else thats fine. I was mostly looking at getting a couple hours of each tide direction . How about 9:00 am for a semi offical meeting time. I tend to forget not everyone lives 10 minutes away.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Flats Rat

I will try to be there.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I will endeavor to be present I have an Atlantis two hander, but do not have (nor can afford at this time) a "spey" line- will a 14 wt Rio Outbound intermediate line be inappropriate? If so, I might just bring the rod and see if I can borrow an appropriate line off someone to try with my rod (or briefly borrow rod/line combos to try)- if for no other reason to get an introduction to this type of casting (as opposed to the two hander overhead casting I have been using with the Atlantis)- my impression is that is what this session is about, rather than fishing per se.
Flydoc
P.S.- Paul- where is Gallos rink in relation to the canal (Cape side, other side) and bridges (closer to Bourne or Sagamore). Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
I will endeavor to be present I have an Atlantis two hander, but do not have (nor can afford at this time) a "spey" line- will a 14 wt Rio Outbound intermediate line be inappropriate? If so, I might just bring the rod and see if I can borrow an appropriate line off someone to try with my rod (or briefly borrow rod/line combos to try)- if for no other reason to get an introduction to this type of casting (as opposed to the two hander overhead casting I have been using with the Atlantis)- my impression is that is what this session is about, rather than fishing per se.
Flydoc
P.S.- Paul- where is Gallos rink in relation to the canal (Cape side, other side) and bridges (closer to Bourne or Sagamore). Thanks!
Hey Flydoc; Gallos is on the cape side a short distance from the Bourne bridge on the left ,I'll have a couple of rods there so you can try them out, you can also put an appropriate grain skagit line on the CND Atlantis and spey cast with that , I've tried it with a 550 grain and it performs but I'm thinking 600 -700 for better performance. We will also be introducing spey casts for the single hand rod ,they come in handy when fishing the back creeks and estuaries.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 PM

Correction !!!

Gallos is on the right hand side as you head towards the Bourne bridge.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Just a reminder.

Next week ; sounds like quite a few intend to attend.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I'll be there unless I catch some nasty bug from a sick patient. Still planning for 9 AM as the meeting time?
Flydoc
Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Flats Rat

Looking good from here right now.

I picked up a 650 grain skagit head recently and my old 15' Bruce & Walker reacted like it got a shot of hi-test fuel

It also puts a nice bend in the 11/11 CND Atlantis!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM

Skagit line.

650 grains on the Atlantis, just what I was thinking it would take, I tried the 550 and it performed but I had a feeling somewhere between 600-700 would be better. BRILLANT!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.