An Aplology - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
resigned

An Aplology

The thread titled 'Open Invitation' which I wrote recently has been deleted per my request. I came to a conclusion that in trying to help, I may have done more harm than good. Some spots, as big as they seem from outer space are best left to find on your own. I can't change what has been disclosed. To those I upset, I am truly sorry. To those I didn't, please understand that this is a sensitive issue and is best left alone. Case closed.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
President of CAC

Phil, I got you PM... anyway, it was removed by Sean M. per your request and I have no problem with it being removed...I guess I am still trying to find out....after having followed the thread...what secrets were actually revealed.... I guess I must have missed something . ( PS... Now if I were to post all the key "pole numbers" at the canal that I obtained from a regular....that might make some people mad...... I don't know maybe I will...just for fun......Nah! I wont..... or will I?.....(wink) (devil)

Last edited by striblue; 03-20-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
President of CAC

Phil, I had to reply to this again. I reread the thread on the moderators forum and I see NOTHING except some disclosures about Sandy Point... and Napatree and a channel.....BIG Deal.... I guess we have no speech rights here insofar as an intent to share fundamental information... to be friendly.... and to continue with the purposes for which this forum was originally set up for. I have seen far more specific information given in countless other reports. I understand you must have received nasty e-mails or PM's...lucky it was not me otherwise I would have posted MORE if I received that stuff... especially when the posts were basically nonspecific. My only other comment is that I wish you had not requested that the thread be removed and bowed to the BS. Naturally, you may have your own reasons to do so and I respect and understand that... You were trying to be helpful ....and I will not leave this to a PM and I am posting this here...not to start a controversy but to back you up ,but, more importantly, to support the very purpose of the Fly fishing forum.... we all know the difference with what you posted and what I jokingly stated about the Pole Numbers.. that WOULD be different because it is specific. For those who fish Chatham, I recall that we post all the basic info..including channels.... bouys..... time of day... and guess what... there seems to be plenty of fish for everyone. This is about fishing....not life or death for Ch***t sake! There was no divulging of secret information and you should be sorry about nothing (I feel like changing the title of this thread, and remove the Apology word with something else I can not post here.)
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 AM
resigned

So many places to fish.......friends to make..................so little time.

Lot's can be learned from reading books but there is nothing like time on the water with people that share the same love for the sport. No bridges to burn here least I lose the thing I cherish the most. The ability to share. I took a very good fly fisherman to a sight fishing Nirvana. All the ingredients where dead on que. Tides, the lighting factor, the wind, water temperature and the desire to hook and release some very large, finicky fish. In an effort to provide a very personal experience with someone I admire as a person and fellow fly flinger I learned something. I shared a special spot and gained nothing but knowledge and an enduring friendship. It was the fishing day of all days. We did not hook many fish but David solved a riddle that has been haunting me for many years. It's all about being patient, not giving up, fishing the right fly and presenting it properly. Share and learn. The rewards are finer than gold.

My invitation is still open. The clock is ticking.

Phil
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 AM
President of CAC

Good..... also the fish have to be there or on the way...by the way... where was this "nirvana"????? Do you have details???? I wonder how many of the guys can remember the Salmon River in NH on Opening day...no side casting possible...but nice conversations with one guy to your right and one guy to your left...maybe literally 5 feet distance between.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM
LBFF Mojo

Well striblue just naming the spot is specific which is the problem I guess...It is a very tiny spot and with the slow of the monomoy fishery I think the local anglers would rather not have the mags and fisherman descend on the spot like it is the new monomoy. It is a very small area, it would take maybe 60 minutes to walk around the whole area.

You guys did not tell people over the forum where and how to get to big girl bar a few years back...same thing here. It is too small and already can be crowded with people at times and best left off public forums.

I admire Phil wanting to share but in this case maybe just 'I have been fishing a great site fishing area and anyone wanting to know more about it should drop me a line.'

I feel this way and do not even fish the area much and did not go there last year. I fish at night and that is not what that area is about.

-sean
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 AM
President of CAC

Well. I admit I don't know the area...but as you say Big Girls was not stated as specific....But remember all you had to do was go to the Chatham Light..park and look out and voila...there was big girl.... where there was a line of guys... It did not take a public internet disclosure to reveal that...just showing up at a , at the time, much touted "At the Light house". Anyway..the cat was out of the bag so to speak on Phils post... so now he deletes it... and my thinking is that you will have more people down there because of it's deletion...let it stand and it would have probably been forgotten behind tons of future posts being made about all our stuff in the weeks ahead. I sometimes feel that diclosures of areas is oveblown considering there are always changes to the areas.... your own eyes can spot the area if it's near a parking lot and you happen to see guys fishing along a current.... Anyway...I just did not like someone being censured with a friendly post which was clearly not intended as a secret disclousure... after all there is the Rhoddy Clave with invites to all on the forum, even the lurkers can show up as some have at the Cape clave....you know, stuff like that... so that's the point in all of this.....But understood nevertheless.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Actually,

Let me set the record straight... I specifically shared Big Girl (when, where, how) with anyone who would come in person, and come they did - several 40"+ stripers were landed in one morning before the 9am curfew. In fact I did not even attend that morning because another member was sharing with me and I did not want to turn him down. However I had studied that specific area, the mecca, and other related transformations for years.

Perhaps a better example is when I specifically shared my knowledge over the migratory behavior, compiled over 7 years of study, which BTW was then shared with others from as far as the region being debated by those I shared with...

And that's just me, multiply that by the countless generous souls who make up this growing international community.

So although I have no pain nor passion over this particular subject or location I do sense the irony in the argument it presents.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
LBFF Mojo

Juro the difference is you shared this stuff in person, not providing google map directions on how to find it. The area has no secret fishing areas or techniques, just knowing about it is the secret.

I share sensitive stuff all the time with people...in person and would not have a problem bringing anyone from the forum there that wanted to go.

I guess if you are into sharing why not just post your milkrun coordinates on the forum...doubt that would happen and for good reason.

I know a few guys who fish that area religiously and it is doing them wrong I feel to publicly list the spot. The people that do fish it a certain level of hush hush is expected.

-sean
Old 03-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ah OK - I admit I did not read the actual post but I see your point on the difference between sharing in person etc.

We do use offline communities to collaborate and share inside info with a good example being Acklins "ridiculous" veterans and those booked to visit Felton and Bob, etc.

Is it spring yet?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
LBFF Mojo

Yesterday in fact

3-4 more weeks and our finned friends will finally return...and I might be a touch less grumpy.

-sean
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
President of CAC

Yes.. I don't think you are grumpy Sean... and I hope you don't think I am...I just wish that the issue would have come up with something more... I suspect people have Googled Sandy point without the need to be reminded to do it...but I will let it rest.... and I will be sure to have a cab ready for your use, and others, if you come to the Spring clave.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM

How is this policy of being too specific going to effect the Rhody IceBreaker this year?

Can you see it now? Here's a sample!

.....IceBreaker

We will meet at an undisclosed location at an undisclosed time. Fish miles apart from each other so no one knows we are a group of Internet buddies. Eat cyber burgers at my house on web site www.......com.
Return home by logging out!

Sounds like a plan especially saving on fuel cost.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
LBFF Mojo

John I am looking forward to the spring clave and know I was not the one to ask Phil to take down the post...just presented the side of the story I hear all the time around these parts about that spot.

-sean
Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

the problem is lurkers.

I many years back I made the mistake of posting on another site about the spectacular fishing I had been experiencing at a upper cape creek, I'm sure you all know which one. This particular creek was no secret location , I not having much experience with the cyber world at the time was very naive at the power in which this media carried. Well after that original post I went back to the creek the very next day, and I'm sure you know what I was met with, the old saying everybody and his brother doesn't even come close to covering it. Needless to say that ended my forage into public sharing as far as specifics go, and came very close to loosing some good friendships, luckily yesterday is like an eternity in the world of fishing ,what action one finds today has no guaranty you'll find it again today or tomorrow ,I was blessed by the fishing gods as they sent the fish somewhere else, so I was labeled as full of crap THANK YOU ,THANK YOU. There are no secret locations ,there are books written about every hot spot out there, it's knowing when the fish show up thats the secret to be kept,and that's what the lurkers are looking for, they let you do all the work, while they sit ready to pounce the moment the cry is heard the fish are in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.