TSA locks - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 04:47 AM

TSA locks

Hi all, I have been reading, with some concern, about equipment being stolen at various airports while anglers have been travelling to and from their destinations and that it is getting somewhat questionable as to whether a person can take gear about the aircraft. I have some trips coming this year, Cuba for bones, tarpon and permit in 2 weeks and Norway in July. I am a little concerned about the gear, especially some nice reels. I was planning to carry them aboard the aircraft in my carry on, but I see that might be a problem.

Have any of you tried locking your gear in your check on luggage with the TSA locks? They are new to me and seem to be the answer, but I am not sure how widely used or accepted they are. I have a hard shell, lockable, rod carrier so I am not concerned about breakage, just theft.

I like to hear your experiences or thoughts. I'd hate to lose my Tibor or a custom made salmon reel.

Thanks,
Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Lewis, I've not heard of these before, but I've just written TSA about them and asked if they know if any foreign security agencies are in agreement. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 AM

I purchased several of them for my travels. They have a combination lock that you can set to whatever combo you desire and a special key opening that allows TSA staff, with the special key, to open the lock, inspect your luggage and then relock. That way the security people can do their jobs and the potential thiefs cannot. I just hope they are widley accepted.

Lewis
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Where can these locks be purchased ? Every flight I take, I worry that some baggage handler has decided to begin to get into fly fishing with MY STUFF !!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 AM

I got mine at a travel supply store, luggage and that sort of stuff. I just checked with the store that sold them to me and the staff have used with with great success throughout North America and Europe.

Lewis
Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 AM

These have been on the market for well over a year. The problem, already, is that master keys are being sold/exchanged on the "black market." While it is probably better than no lock at all, I'm not convinced it's really worth the bother. The most likely person it would discourage is the "opportunist" who wouldn't normally steal from luggage, but to whom a particular opportunity he/she just couldn't resist. Although no one knows how common it is, I know of several instances that have been in the news where the TSA personnel were doing the stealing. One fairly well publicized one featured a female TSA agent who worked at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. There have been several others. You can also bet that if you fly through an airport that doesn't have the key, that the lock will either be cut off with bolt cutters or your luggage won't be going with you. Europe may be fine, but how about the third world airports we all use to access the fishing in the Caribbean and Central America? I'm not saying to not use them, only that they aren't likely to be the be-all/end-all.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM

I have taken several trips over the past few years and always with my my reels in my carry on baggage and two rod tubes strapped together and had no problems at all. I usually just pack extra rods and other gear but always in a regular large kit bag type of bag. No brand name luggage that is sure to draw attention to the fact that there may be expensive fishing gear in them.
I would also be interested in finding out more about these locks as I usually lock my bag and on my last trip back from Christmas island was asked to remove the lock while checking in with Air Canada at Honolulu.
This is all of great concern with most Saltwater reels many times costing between $500 and $1000 or more and rods the same, but of greater concern I think is that if something like this happens on the outbound part of the trip then many times the whole trip can be lost as many of these remote destinations have now stores to replace any of this specialized equipment.
Show up at a place like Christmas island without gear and you are out of luck for the week, especially if you travel alone like I do most of the time.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Carry On...

I've made several trips in the last two years, mostly to Latin american countries through the US and had no trouble at all. I ALWAYS carry my gear on - except flies, of course - and for the most part the security personal couldn't care less. Reels in my carry on pack and rods in clearly labels rod tubes strapped together.

I also empty my flyboxes and store the flies in ziplocks in my checked luggage and carry the boxes on. That way even if my flies don't make it I can possibly bum some flies from the guide or another angler and store them in flyboxes the way god intended. Basically I arrive ready to fish with everything but the flies. I've even packed materials and a hemostat in my carry on before, figuring I might be able to find hooks on site and cobble together a few servicable flies if my luggage disappears into limbo. Never had to use it, but it made me feel better.

By and large I do usually get asked about the rod tubes and a simple, "They're my fishing poles" sounds down-home safe enough that there's no problem. I never say fly-rods or try to make things complicated - I can't see most security personel as fly fishers - but everyone on earth has heard of fishing poles. Even when the personel spoke spanish. A simple "yo soy un pescador" cleared things up. If you can't remember that, the short version "pesca" (fishing), with a few mimed motions should do the trick.

Also, you should buy trip insurance which covers lost or stolen lugguage. A typical package for medical, trip delay/cancellation, and lost or stolen baggage is usually under $100.

My 2 cents,
Bonehead
Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 AM

The trouble we are having in the Bahamas is that currently US security will allow reels coming in but Bahamian security will not allow them going out. We are talking to them about it, but it is hard for them to want to speak about security measures. My advise is to carry them on coming over, then check them going home to avoid hassles and drawing attention to the fact the reels are in the bag.

I would guess that some angler was tiffed at being delayed by having to retrieve his check baggage and put them in complaining that he wanted to have control over his "$1000 reels", and poof, $1000 dolloar reels are getting lifted and infact targeted now.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 AM

Bob is right on. You can take the reels and flies in, but not out. MY last trip I just removed the spools and put them in the checked baggage. Less painful to replace than a complete reel.

CC Charlie
Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM
President of CAC

I already mentioned this but I do have a friend who used the Fed Ex proceedure and Fedexed his stuff directly to his hired guide and has done that for years.He states that he can get insurance for this and the fedEx system is good, not to mention that the guide and other guides are known in the Bahama community as working guys and theft from them is a no no... and the theives know they can be identified by the local's and talk among themselves. The delivery guys are known too, etc. It's not a bad method to avoid all this other stuff. I suspect some have done this and they may have stories of problems with this as well. I also always wonder how local theives dispose of flyreels. I supose there is a secret black market to do so.... I have not seen any suspicious reels on ebay, but don't know for sure. It's not like they stop you on the streets of Nasau like trying to sell you cuban cigars.

Last edited by striblue; 03-23-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Indeed this has become a major problem and concern as security measures tighten and many are traveling more and farther to fish, I guess it all depends on the security at any given airport as to what they will allow through or not.
I like the term " fishing poles" and downplaying the cost of these items as word does get around that people are traveling with $1000+ pieces of gear, that in its self will create a market for this stuff.
Read the carry on policies of most airlines and they tell you to carry on valuable items and not put them in checked luggage, I can understand the issue with flies and such forth but not reels ?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Bahamas with reels?

Heading for Acklins Island next week, and disturbed to read the comments about carrying reels and flies in carry on baggage. We went last year and I had all rods in tubes and reels in my carry on with no problem, both into and out of Nassau and Acklins. Is there some change this year? Also took a portion of the flies in carry on and a very small amount of fly tying materials, again with no problem.
What is the objection to reels?
Is there some strategy about separating the reel body from the spool and putting one or the other in carry on?
Has there been much of a theft problem in or out of Nassau relative to fishing gear?
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
GM

Yes, I think there's been a change in coming back out in Nassau. I'd brought my reels in and out of the Bahamas for 10 years, or so, and this is the first time I've had a problem. I guess it must be a new ruling in Nassau.

Bob had informed our guys to put our reels in our checked baggage this year (unfortunately, somehow I missed the message, so mine were in my carry on). What seems to be the problem is not the reels, per se, but the lines. Until there's some sort of change in the ruling, in the future I plan to take my reel frames in my carry on and stash my spools with lines (perhaps in my wading shoes) deep into my checked bag. Carrying line-winding stuff seems impractical, especially if you're carrying blue water reels with 500 yds or so of gel-spun.

Bill
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM

I think a more accurate way of describing it is that they've stepped up enforcement. We've had problems in Nassau dating way back to the trip we took in November, 2001, only about two months after 9/11. Those problems seemed to happen on almost every trip for at least one of us so, as a group, we decided to start flying from Ft Lauderdale directly to Androstown. Like most everything else down there, a lot depends upon the efforts of the person on duty, but I don't think they'll allow a reel with line attached as a matter of policy, and I think that policy has been in effect for several years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.