ZEC Gaspe Regulation Changes - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 AM

Question ZEC Gaspe Regulation Changes

Hello to all, Jim Corrigan here.

I'm sure some of you have received the recent correspondence from the ZEC Gaspe to its members that announces their General Assembly (8 April). This package includes several proposed changes to the existing Regulations for fishing the York and Dartmouth rivers. My French is not adequate to fully understand the nature of the proposed changes, so I'm asking for help from our more enlightened confreres.

For both the York and Dartmouth, it appears that there is a new payment category for the limited-rod sectors from June 1 to August 31. The heading on this part of the price list says, "(rabais 25% des 9 h)."

I can translate the "25% savings" part, but I'm not sure what the rule says about how to get this discount. Is this some sort of half-day rate for anglers that reserve these sectors after 9 AM?

It would seem to me that it would be rare for most of these reserved sectors to be unsold at or after 9AM on the same day that they could be fished (HMMM ... maybe this would happen off 'prime time'). Perhaps (likely!) I'm missing something in my translation.

Thanks in advance to the kind soul that can shed light on this proposed change in the reguations at the ZEC Gaspe.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 AM

I called the ZEC to get clarification and here is what I learned (by the way I usually get these in english)

Good News abounds:

1) Reduction in Dartmouth Zone 2 from 6 rods to 4 rods! This will improve the experience and naturally a small price increase.

2) Catch and release only in Moose Bogan, again Excellant.

I did not inquire about the reduced rates for other available rods, but would like to hear the answer from anyone out there.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Anyone have experience fishing the open water on the York and Dartmouth? Fished the York last year for the first time on pre-season draw water. Pretty river. Caught a grilse each day. Wondering if it is worth driving from St Rene de Matane next season to fish the public water there. Anyone have any experience on the public stretches there?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Howie, I have fished the Unlimited Zones on the Dartmouth and York. Unless you want a change of scenery, I think you are better off staying right on the Matane where you live. You've got a 200 mile, 4 hour drive from St. Rene, making it more than a day trip. Perhaps during the month of June it might be worth a try if the water conditions are favorable and you can secure the services of a guide.

However, I do have this suggestion. Get into the Gaspe ZEC's 48-hour draws via the Internet, and if you get picked, make the trip. At least you should have one good day of fishing and also explore the "open water" too.

Earle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.