Chatham Light Still HOT - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2000, 11:43 AM
Recent Member

Chatham Light Still HOT

I fished the Chatham Lighthouse this morning. I saw John Morin's truck and found him and others on a rip formed by a sand bar located off the point to the right from the lighthouse. Hundreds of birds feeding on sand eels and lots of seals everywhere. Spin fishermen were catching a good number of keeper sized fish and John had hooked into a few, but landed none while I was there. However, he isn't that sore because he landed a 34 incher yesterday and released it back to the depths. That means practically everyday he's landing a keeper on the fly! On my second cast of a sparse chartreuse half and half I hooked up with a cow and lost it but 4 feet away. I had a few more bumps throughout the morning and then finally hooked up with my first keeper right at 30 inches. This fish went on a spectacular run, taking half my backing before I could turn her. She looked a bit green so I decided not to photograph her and released her in good health. Tomorrow I plan to use my yak to gain access to the sand bars further out that are inaccessible by foot. There are some very nice rips behind the bars that form on the outgoing and I am sure many cows are lurking there as well as out in the open surf that is meeting the outgoing flood. John Morin asked me to relay the message about his 34 incher and that he will be out every morning this week and he has some other holes to show anybody who shows up if things get too crowded on that main bar......(he showed me one...thanks John).

To summarize, Chatham Light is still productive!

Charles Whitehurst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2000, 12:13 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:Chatham Light Still HOT

Charles,

Congrats on the first keeper on the fly and thanks for the heads up. I may have to drag myself out of bed to fish the Light before work sometime this week.

Al
Old 08-16-2000, 12:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Chatham Light Still HOT

Congrats Charles, and please tell John how much I envy him. Dave - did we ever call that one or what? Didn't take a brain surgeon to figure but it took a fool to leave it. Oh the perils of the working class man! I'm feeling a bit ill....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.