Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Lee Wulf Video

Great Video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6-6A3vCpo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM

OK you dry fly Atlantic Salmon lovers ... this You Tube video clip should get you going ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVTp...eature=related

Jim Corrigan
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Dry fly

Interesting video.
That's the first time I have seen a Salmon take a fly that has been on the water for more than 3 secs. I have seen at least 10 takes on dries (in 4 yrs of fishing), and they all have happened almost the instant the dry fly hits the water.
For those more experienced than I, how often would you say a Salmon will take a dry after it has been on the water for more than 3 secs vs when it just lands?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 AM

What an interesting question ...

When I first read about fishing the Bomber, I got the impression that it could be fished in a lot of ways. Skated, dead drifted - short or long, pulled under ... any of these presentations were reported to bring fish up.

Once I got to the rivers, several better anglers persuaded me to fish it one way - short dead drifts, hitting the 'spot' to show the fly to a fish/spot on a very short dead drift. Quick pickups, lots of casting - classic dry fly spot fishing. Anybody who has worked a tough brown trout on a dry loves this kind of presentation.

So ... I've fished bombers on long dead drifts - with poor results. I've occasionally skated them and pulled them under - with little to no action on these presentations. I've also had some good times bringing fish up to a 'perfect' short drift presentation.

The result ... I fish Bombers on short dead drifts, trying to hit the perfect spot for the drift. Like nearly everybody else in eastern Canada.

My point is that I don't give the 'alternative' presentations equal time. To me, this is fishing the Bomber 'wrong.' Maybe if I skated Bombers as much as I fished them dead and short, I'd have similar luck. But I'm not likely to change. The 'pop' dead drift is challenging and fun. The takes, when they happen, feel so preordained (as far as salmon fishing goes) that it's worth the time, for me, to fish this way most of the time.

So, I'd agree ... I've rarely-never got a fish to come to a fly that's been on the water for a long drift. Maybe it would work, but it just doesn't feel like the 'right' way to fish the Bomber. Do I give this presentation an 'equal chance' in my fishing - no way!

But, as far as the video goes, I'd say that the angler didn't really get a great dead drift on most of the casts. The one that brought the fish up was spectacular. Maybe the time/length of the drift wasn't important. Maybe the trick was to bring the fly over a certain spot - PERFECTLY. If this was the case, the length of the drift might not have mattered.

Great question ... more comments welcome!

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM

In 2006 I fished the Margaree for 6 consecutive days in July ( the so-called strawberry run). I caught a few fish and moved several more. Every one was on an extended dead drift with a Bomber. A couple of the locals told me I had moved more fish than average.
Having said that, I never tried any very short drifts
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Flats Rat

This is a great subject.

What are the circumstances that contribute to a surface "feeding"(or is it "attack") mood? I wonder how much location and length of time the fish have been in fresh water are factors in an Atlantic's willingness to hit something on the surface.? Or maybe its weather, water temperature, level .....?

I have watched Salmon nailing hatching mayflies in Ireland many times. Despite what the pundits say, salmon do feed in fresh water. At least some of them do. Whether or not they digest what they eat is another question.

Dry fly techniques were rarely practiced back in the UK when I was there and yet, every year we would see reports of large salmon being "accidentally" taken by guys fishing dries for browns. Maybe things have changed?

Many years ago, Lee Wulff demonstrated that the Salmon in the rivers of Scotland behaved just the same as those that run the Northeastern US rivers by taking a lot of fish on a dry fly. He also did it with a single handed rod - much to the consternation of the "cognoscenti" of the British salmon angling establishment.

I guess like most other areas of fishing, the words "Always" and "Never" should be used with caution.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

I have hooked fish on most all Bomber presentations,, EXCEPT,, for a drift longer than say three feet.
I am a firm believer in Pete Bodo's "Magic inch" theory and proved it sound time and time again! A salmon has "spot" where he will usually always react when the fly hits it. Sight fishing a bomber to the magic inch is one of my favorite and most exciting things to do in Salmon fishing.
I once watched a lad on the matane hit the same 12"x12" spot and raised the fish several times before he took. When it drifted 13" he would pick it up and hit the spot again
When you find the fishes "spot" i think its the closest to a sure thing you can get.
Salmon Chaser
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Salmo Scout

Taking the Bomber

Interesting that the salmon came down on top of the fly to take it - nice work on the video to finally get the shot
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Bombers foshed on the Miramichi, in my experience, are fished on long, dead drifts. The fish, of course, can take anywhere on the drift. Maybe they take when the fly hits the "spot", but they do take consistently when the water is right.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman
What an interesting question ...

Once I got to the rivers, several better anglers persuaded me to fish it one way - short dead drifts, hitting the 'spot' to show the fly to a fish/spot on a very short dead drift. Quick pickups, lots of casting - classic dry fly spot fishing. Anybody who has worked a tough brown trout on a dry loves this kind of presentation.

Great question ... more comments welcome!

Jim
First, a comment about fishing a dry to a tough rising brown trout. Jim, I can't imagine ripping a fly off the water just downstream of a rising brown in order to make another cast in a hurry. In my experience that would be a sure way to put the fish down. I always let the fly drift about 10 feet past the trout before picking it up, and I think this would be standard advice in most of the literature written on dry fly fishing for trout.

That trout fishing approach to fishing a bomber for salmon is what I default to. It's hard for me to believe that picking up a bomber after 12 inches of float could not spook a salmon, but I am basically a trout fisherman so I read the posts of these more experienced salmon anglers with much interest! I will note, however, that every salmon I have ever raised on a dry was after at least 10 feet of drift, and I have never had a salmon take a bomber as soon as it touched the water.

Maybe this just goes to show how wonderfully illogical these creatures really are?!

cheers,
Ian.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Hi Ian - you make a number of very good points ...

We may have fished for the same Brown trout on a beautiful river in Southern Ontario. Regardless, you are correct ... lifting a dry fly off quiet water anywhere near a rising Brown trout would be a very poor tactic. Often, I'd let my fly drift out over many feet of 'dead water' so not to disturb a rising Brown in a quiet pool. Very few false casts, light touches on and off the water - the whole works were needed to have any success!

What I meant to say in my earlier message was, often, one has to cover a very small spot - perfectly - in order to bring up a fussy Brown. Although the dead drift of a cast might extend for several to many feet, each cast is intended to 'work' in a small, exact place in the pool. This is the relationship that I was trying (poorly!) to illustrate between dry-fly fishing for Browns and one style of Bomber drifts for Atlantic salmon.

When dry-fly fishing for Atlantic salmon, I've had my best success working known 'dry-fly lies' that likely were holding fish and/or working over 'seen' fish in slow pools. This kind of situation is frequently encountered on some Gaspe rivers, much less so on the Miramichi, Margaree or most Newfoundland rivers.

That probably sounds obvious, but my point is that one has their best chance in these situations if they can cover these spots/fish 'perfectly'. My objective is to hit the water 2-5 feet above the 'spot', get a perfect cover of it, then lift up and re-cast as soon as I think safe wrt spooking a lie or a fish. I am careful about quick and/or violent lifts anywhere near the salmon in dead slow pools, but somewhat less so in a more braided stream. Usually, I am covering a 'known spot,' so I let the fly pass below it, then pick up as soon as I think it's 'safe'. Like fishing for Browns, limited false casting and a 'light touch' around the water are critical to success when covering these salmon lies. Unlike Browns, you can cover them repeatedly (but carefully) and still have a decent chance of bringing a fish up.

On long, relatively undefined pools and/or where fish rarely are seen in the water, such as many places on the Miramichi, I would cover pools with a series of shorter 'pop' drifts, as opposed to trying to maximize fewer/longer dead drifts through large stretches of the pool. Actually, I find that I fish dries much less often on the Miramichi than I did before I started hitting the Gaspe rivers. I don't get the same feeling of optimism when I'm 'blindly' covering an expanse of water with a dry as I do when I'm dropping it on a STEAMING HOT SPOT in a pool on the Gaspesie!!

I believe that the 'pop' of a Bomber landing at a strategic point above a salmon can be an enticement for the fish to rise. For me, the Bomber becomes 'inert' on a long dead drift, and therefore less exciting to the fish. I have had salmon hit a Bomber within two seconds of it touching the water, and probably have risen more fish in the first seven feet of drifts than at all distances after that. However, one of the points of my first message was that I don't give longer drifts equal time in my fishing, as they feel like the 'wrong' way to fish a Bomber to me.

As you say, Atlantic salmon will break any 'rule' made for them. Vive la differerence ... for both anglers' dry-fly techniques and for rising fish!

Great comments! Good luck with the Hendricksons ...

Jim Corrigan

Last edited by Bugman; 05-15-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:56 AM

Good Morning,

The videos get your heart pumping for sure. The discussion is also interesting. I usually insist on a drag free float and do not mend downstream to prolong drifts. Even when searching for a fish. I have seen many potential takers put down for good with a dragging tactic. It depends on whether you are fishing for fish OR fishing to Fish. There is a major difference.

I do not prescribe to fishing to this aforementioned "Spot". I believe that the fish will come to the fly when enticed properly. They can take it at all angles-- Front, Left, Right, Behind, over the top, 10 feet away....... but rarely dragging and passing by. When he wants it, you will not be able to get it away from him. Just make sure you do not "trout" a salmon. Most of us have done it...so we know what not to do....... WON'T BE LONG NOW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.