Best intermediate line? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
In moderation

Best intermediate line?

Hi

I am slowly putting together my gear for the Spring meeting.
I need to buy a new intermediate line and would like to know which is the best.

Many thanks for any advice.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Local Boob

I think the "best" is going to depend largely on what you enjoy casting. I love shooting heads for instance so my favorite INT line is the Rio Outbound I have a 9wt for my single hand GLX 9wt and a 13wt for my two-hander.

Of the lines that are styled like "true" fly lines, I'd recommend the Cortland Little Tunny - I have one for my 8wt and it excells with small flies more more delicate presentations.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

i really like my Rio Striper clear aqualux, but that's all i've ever used as far as a 9wt inter line.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Pete......I like Airflo cold salt intermediate....casts extremely well and never tangles....but to be honest I have never tried the little tunny, nor rio lines.....the above 3 lines are the ones that are most frequently used as far as I can see when I'm at the Cape....I think that you would most likely be satisfied with any of the 3.
My sense is that if you buy any of these lines you will most likely keep using them because all are great lines.
Ron used
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 AM

I use both the Rio outbound & the Airflo Aqualux. Either one works good. I cannot say they never tangle, However to be fair everything that resembles string or rope gets tangled in my presence, air hose, electric cord, fly line etc.. . I guess if I had a preference I would buy the Rio
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Like Sean Juan, I use the Rio Outbound for both my one hander and two hander...I upline to the 10 wt line for the 9 wt rod, and the 14 wt line for the two hander.
Flydoc
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Pete......I like Airflo cold salt intermediate....casts extremely well and never tangles....but to be honest I have never tried the little tunny, nor rio lines.....the above 3 lines are the ones that are most frequently used as far as I can see when I'm at the Cape....I think that you would most likely be satisfied with any of the 3.
My sense is that if you buy any of these lines you will most likely keep using them because all are great lines.
Ron used
Ron,

Have they improved that lines warm water performance? I remember that being a great line up until mid June and then on a hot day it would turn into sticky spaghetti in a basket and on a boat deck forget about it.

I agree that the RIO is hard to beat for a full line clear int. I really like the clear tip lines for the flats as well. 10' clear tip with floating running line is a good choice for big bright flats as you can pick up and re-cast long lengths of line. For short vis days a full clear a line or two up to load the rod for short shots.

Sean
Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Sean....re airflo line...I have never used it in a boat deck, nor tropics...so i can't comment...but given that it is designed for cold water application, you may be right. They have come out with a new ridge line design...they say it casts even better, which is hard to imagine. On the flats, i have never had any trouble at all with the airflo line.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM

PS: initially I was a little bumed when they went from clear to blue/clear (now they offer the original non improved line)....but to be honest....the color in my opinion has never seemed to make a difference...I use a 10ft flouro butt section and tippet......never experienced "line rejection or spooking". Do wish however for flats that someone would come up with a camo (shades of 3/4sand/1/4mottled green here and there) if not for the fish...at least to fool me Maybe I can wrap some of Pete's extra camo fatiques over the 1st 10 ft of line
Ron
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
resigned

I've been using the Mastery Striper int. line (surf model) one size up on my Orvis TLS single hand 9#with amazing success. Shoots just fine and does not overload then rod. No noodling during hot weather on the deck. When it's really hot ,I strip it into a bucket of fresh sea water now and then to cool it down. I am buying an Outbound to try next in both floating and intermediate if they are still available.

Phil
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Ron,

Cortland 555 Little Tunny Intermediate WF7 - 12, 1.5 - 2 IPS, Color - Clear Camo 9wt 250 Grains. Very good line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.