Chatham Light / Harding's Beach this Sat am? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2000, 09:24 AM
Here fishy fishy

Chatham Light / Harding's Beach this Sat am?

For the 1st time in a long while, I've a Saturday morning free. Anyone interested in an early morning in Chatham? Was thinking Lighthouse beach @ dawn, maybe a hike around to Hardings for the incoming... Realize tide phase may not be conducive, etc., but I've an urge to get out while I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2000, 12:11 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:Chatham Light / Harding's Beach this Sat am?

TodD,

I'll be at the light pre-dawn Sat. along with a few others. Tides are fairly conducive: minus low (-.06) at ~9 AM.

Final call at big girl bar

Al
Old 10-10-2000, 02:02 PM

TodD,

Your email bounces as Unknown User.

FYI: see the topic "Chatham Redemption: 10/14,10/15"
Old 10-10-2000, 07:28 PM
Here fishy fishy

Mike - thanks for the heads up on my email address. Changed it not so recently & forgot to change it here.

AlD - what's the parking situation? I'll be coming down from the South Shore circa 5 am. Is it ok at the lighthouse till 9:00 am?

Thanks,
Tod
Old 10-11-2000, 06:37 AM
Middle Aged Member

I've bartared for quality fishing time and it looks like I'll get to belly up Saturday for one more shot. Looks like the grand finale for me. I'm tired of the negotiating process and I've got other things to catch up on. Hope to see you all there.

Regards,
Fred A.
Old 10-11-2000, 08:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tod -

Off season parking is clear past 9am. Hope to see you there!

Juro
Old 10-11-2000, 09:12 AM
Here fishy fishy

Juro

Outstanding! I'm aiming for 5-5:15 arrival. Big 'ol sandeels still the pattern of choice? May have to hit the bench tonight.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:13 PM

Pathetic Cry For Help:

Anyone willing to sell a couple of these flies? My local supplier didn't have anything like them and I don't think I'll have a chance to look anywhere else before Sat.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:30 PM

You can't buy them but you are welcome to a couple of our Juro inspired versions.

Gregg
Old 10-11-2000, 01:41 PM
i'm so outta here

Mike,

I'll be tying some up either tonight or tomorrow and will bring extras.

Al
Old 10-11-2000, 02:44 PM
Here fishy fishy

Ditto from me too as I'll tie some up tonight & tomorrow night. Any particular colors preferred - or is it Juro's rainbow-topped version?
Old 10-11-2000, 03:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tod -

I tied up a bunch during the MARINERS game list night too.

There are really three 'layers' to the deep eel:

a) the light bottom layer
b) the middle transition layer and
c) the back

Large live / healthy sand eels typically have a cream white / silvery belly. Above that is a transition through green or tan/brown often with almost neon chartreuse highlights along the length of the body. Once dead or stressed out their color changes drastically, but in good health they exhibit bright coloration. The back varies from sandy light tan to root beer to emerald green with every possible color in between. Eyes are relatively small for the body size, but distinct. Snout is sharply pointed and the tail is minute. They can be easily distinguished from other bait when in open water by the multiple bends they have in their bodies as they swim. Those buried in the sand scurry a few feet and re-bury themselves, or sometimes get disoriented and splash on the surface like they don't know which end is up.

The bottom layer varies for me only in the core material, flash choices, etc - typically white ultrahair with a core of ice-pearl looking flashabou, pearl firefly, yellow pearl flashabou, or pearl angel hair, etc - tied into the center of the white ultrahair. I tie the body 4-5 times the length of a standard hook shank, unlike the clouser minnow which is much shorter.

The transition is where I do my experimenting, layering chartruese flashabou or yellow gold sparkle flash or nothing at all under a layer of tan, seafoam or light olive ultrahair.

Be careful to taper all clusters to form a very thin tail, simply by pulling the strands to different lengths with the center being longest before tying in, and matching to the rest of the fly.

Then the back - which is either dark olive, peacock or rainbow angel hair under dark olive ultrahair for green backs;

brass colored angel hair under root beer colored ultra hair for brown;

two-tones of sandy brown ultrahair and no flash for real stealthy versions when the sand eels look like sand itself.

For Monomoy I tie with suggestion in mind, with very subtle tones that suggest that a big sand eel is there but by making it harder to see the big fish seem to be less hesitant when sight fishing on the flats.

Smaller versions with various flash combinations are handy for tunoids and schoolies as well.

But to answer your question - either a green or brown backed realistic sand eel in larger sizes that can be fished down and dirty in a fast ebb current to get the attention of the 20-30 pound fish we are teasing.

Juro
Old 10-11-2000, 04:46 PM

What a great bunch! Thanks for the fly offers!

Prediction: Saturday, Partly cloudy. High near 70 (!)

See you at the "Indian Summer Clave"?

<a href="http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/i-summer.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/i-summer.htm</a><!--auto-->
Old 10-11-2000, 06:55 PM
Here fishy fishy

Juro - do I detect a none-too-subtle plug for that team from Seattle? They did look good last night. As always, thanks for the sand eel insight. Now I just have to get the boys to bed, take care of an hour or so of work, then try to bang out a few flies while watching Dubya and Gore.
Old 10-11-2000, 08:26 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Juro,
Well I made a few juvie patterns watching the YANKEE'S game this evening. I still can't believe that a die hard fan found his way into the heart of Red Sox world. Ugh. I can't wait to hear the replies to this one. Off to the North Shore tomorrow. Hope the boss won't mind me being a little late.
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.