New North Umpqua Regs - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2001, 10:58 AM

New North Umpqua Regs

I got that last post out of my system I feel better I thought I'd throw this subject out there again and see what everyone thinks.

On the North Umpqua, the river I consider home even though I live in Seattle, the fly only water has new regs this year. No weight on the flies and floating line only.

What do people think about this?

I understand what the department was trying to do. They were trying to stop guys from hammering fish with nymphs. A lot of time guys will sit in one hole and just throw big nymphs all day long and hit fish after fish after fish. Last year I watched one guy hook a fish every 10-15 minutes in upper boat on nymphs. A lot of times these are non aggressive fish that are holding in deeper pools.

I have taken my share of fish down there on nymphs and leeches don't get me wrong usually as a second pass through a run and fish them moving down a run. There are two runs in particular that I have always fished ugly bugs in but once I get a fish on a nymph or leech I go back to more traditional patterns.

I think the motivation is right but I think that this rule is terrible. Anglers need to learn to be more responsible and other anglers need to put pressure on them to be more responsible. I will still be down there this summer fishing don't get me wrong. If you have been to the place it sucks you in and you have to fish it every year. But this year I am leery of what it is going to be like down there. We will see. Out lawing strike indicators would have been a good start to controlling the problem and not looking so snobbish.

What is everyone's opinion on this. I am waiting and seeing now.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.