Help Please - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Question Help Please

I have a rod that I want to re-finish over this winter. Could someone suggest the best approach to remove the old wraps on the guides, I am guessing just cutting through on top of the guide foot and then unwinding, and then what to use to get the residue of the coating off the blank?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
In moderation

I assume that you have a normal carbon rod with the wraps sealed with epoxy. I have softened old wraps by heating them with a cigarette lighter but you must be very careful.
Then cut through as you suggest. The residue will normally come of with a sharp knife scraped along the blank but again be careful not to damage the blank.

Pete
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for responding.
John
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Go to rodbuildingforum.com and ask that same question over there or at least do a search for that subject. There is some good info there from people who build & repair rods. Pete is on the right track but the guys over there say do not use tools to scrape off softened epoxy. Use your fingernail after you cut the wraps over the guides. that way you do not ruin the finish or worse cut through the fibers and weaken the rod
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Pullin' Thread

I stumbled upon using a short piece of 1/8" - 1/4" dowel to remove the epoxy residue after the guide has been removed a few years ago. Simply rub the residue vigorously with the piece of dowel and it will come off. The rubbing with the dowel creates friction, which heats the epoxy just enough to soften it without harming the blank, and peels the epoxy residue off at the same time. Far safer than using a heat source and easy to do without worries about hurting the rod blank.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:22 PM

Thumbs up Thanks again

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post your suggestions. I actually started working on it this afternoon and found that taking a plastic knife and rubbing over the area where the wraps had been worked much like you say the dowel rod did. I am about half way through removing the old wraps.
Best
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.