Tuffleye alternative to epoxy... - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
PharSideBigEyez...Herring Insinuation...Acrylic vs Epoxy...

Acrylic was wicked easy vs epoxy and quite user phriendly...
NO "issues", odor or hydrocarbon free radicals to rain on my tying parade!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Herring Fly

Great looking fly (especially for an Air Force puke). What type & size hook did you use?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Owner...

5/0 Rig'N Hook (#5137-151)

Make that...Slightly handicapped, moderately decorated, Air Force puke...Thankyou!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
President of CAC

Pete, you might have already covered this...and I do want to try it ... does it run at all... by that I mean that when appling to say, sandeel heads , do you need to rotate the vise at first to get an even application??? Like the first coat of epoxy.... Do you need to apply the light quickly or the stuff drips off? Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Flats Rat

I guess this acrylic stuff is o.k. if dentists shove it in your "gob" when doing "core buildups" for crowns. Certainly safer than Toluene which rots brain cells faster than I get through gin.

Talking of dangerous stuff, one of the older dyes beloved of Irish fly tyers during the Mayfly hatch was Picric Acid.

Extremely toxic and highly EXPLOSIVE too But it did produce a gorgeous shade of yellow. The alternative was pigs urine
Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Thumbs up Blue Light Special...

The "core" is thicker and has a sluggish to no flow profile...it pretty much stays put...
The "finish" is not as thin as fresh epoxy but does flow slowly...and will drip and run if left to it's own devices...easy to get on as a thin finish coat then blast with the stop the action Blue Light Special on isle six!
Several thin coats works best since a flash of the light sets the cure in a few seconds...30 seconds and the brownies are done for sure!
NO odor and, with a little practice, it's easy to get a handle on this interesting alternative...

The photo shows a deceiving yellow cast that was probably due to the temperature of the artificial light and some reflection from the body braid on the hook shank...
The background was actually a light grey...so there is a good deal of colour shift going on...the other shots were all taken "outside" in the presence of the Great Orb!
The flye is actually much clearer and only slightly yellow to the eye under normal light...it was a "dusting of pearl sparkle" experiment...along the "learning curve"...
Definitely no pig urine and/or toxic explosive going on here in das bunker!
I'm already partial to a clear body with tinsel lateral lines and pearl body braid to insinuate a phishy profile and anatomy...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
President of CAC

Well, I just ordered the stuff from Bears Den... two sets are avalable... I got the set with the bigger "jelly" applicator... I'll see what happens as I experiment. I guess you need eye protectors when applying the stuff. Atleast that's what's in the instructions I read on the Bear's Den web site. ....about $90.00. Once you have the light , which appears to be the lion's share of the expense, the refills are reasonable.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Welcome to the...

Blue Light Special Acrylic Club...and...Angler Management Anonymous...
John...
Remember what that insightful guy had to say in "The Graduate"?
PLASTICS!!!
Anyway...
This stuff really SUCKS!
By the way...did I tell you that they were going on sale tomorrow for only $45. with the VIP coupon?!
(just kidding!!!)
You know what "they" say about teaching an olde dog new tricks...
Give it a fair chance and I think you'll have NO REGRETZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.