Nothing for nothing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Striper Fan

Send a message via MSN to shad
Nothing for nothing

Hi All

Daydreaming about my Stripertrip in June today I realised that for the past few years I have enjoyed superb sport without actualy paying a penny!

OK a few cents of my Motel,g as and food tax might find its way towards keeping your seas free from pollution and full of fish,but its doubtfull(especialy on my budget!).

So this year I plan to put in a nominal $10 per day fishing(about gallon of petrol over here).Its not going to be a whole lot but if my fishing partners join in we are going somewhere.

My question is where am I best to donate the money?CCA and Stripersforever are the only places I have heard off,however I know nothing of thier work. If there is a better place to get value for my conservation $$ please let me know.

Cheers Colin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Collin...first off...more than sporting of you! Second...you may want to consider "Friends of Monomoy" they are a public group connected to the Monomoy refuge. Jim Simms is more knowledgeable than I as to what they do. Ask Jim and or check out their web site.
Ron
Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Colin, giving back to the resource is admirable. Stripers Forever's objective is to make striped bass a gamefish, which is fine, unless you are a commercial. I think that organization would be better served if it developed a holistic approach to that fishery, e.g. depletion of the menhaden/herring population and its impact on striped bass.

CCA has a brilliant track record outside the northeast. Through its membership and lobbying practices, it has been instrumental in the rebound of the redfsih. It is now migrating to the northwest to assist in turning around the declining steelhead fishery. In the northeast, it has not fared very well. The adversarial relationship between recs and comms has constrained their impact. I think when the time is right, a renewed effort by CCA will be noted.

Friends of Monomoy, as Ron outlined, is a volunteer organization that assists, where necessary, to make the experience to the refuge a worthwhile endeavor for visitors. It is currently in transition. Members of the Flyfishfing Forum plan to become more involved this year in rejeuvenating it. Its website domain name has expired.

For further info on Monomoy, checkout www.fws.gov/northeast/monomoy/
Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
I think that organization would be better served if it developed a holistic approach to that fishery, e.g. depletion of the menhaden/herring population and its impact on striped bass.
Along those very lines, a recent article in the Cape Cod Times....

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...NEWS/802180312
Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM
6th Year Apprentice

well played Colin, all of these orgs need our support particularly this year if they are to successfully lobby for the moratorium on Bunker/Menhaden fishing in this current congress :

Quote:

Atlantic Menhaden Conservation Act

110th CONGRESS 1st Session

H. R. 3840
To prohibit commercial fishing of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in inland, State, and Federal waters along the Atlantic coast of the United States, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
as Jim said, protect the bait, protect the fishery (and encourage the return of old ones like BFT's)

I'll be sending my cash to the CCA this year

Mark
Old 02-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Jim....if you want to use pm that's fine....just interested in how the FF forum is going to be more involved with the Friends of Monomoy group.......I for one, totally enjoy the area, as attested to by my non stop fishing habits....I would be interested in more info re involvement in supporting the area we love.
Ron
Old 02-23-2008, 05:00 PM
President of CAC

I think the friends of Monomoy still have the web site up... I just googled it and it came right up. I will be speaking with Keith and Mike about board positions for some fishermen this time around.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Striper Fan

Thanks for the replies

It looks like the way to go is to split my donation between CCA and friends of Monomoy.

I signed up for CCA yesterday,very inexpensive and worthwhile for all visiting sea anglers to the USA.Shame they dont offer the option of sending out membership packs and magazines via e-mail,would save them a lot of money.

Tightlines Colin
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Colin, thank you for the thoughts and contribution to our fishery. It seems that if we had more fishermen like you on both sides of the Atlantic, with a giving back mentality, its inconceivable what we could accomplish.

Speaking about fisheries and what we can do to enhance them, what is the current thinking about the netting of atlantic salmon continuing on the west side of Scotland?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Jim...thanks for the pm....I wrote back but your box is full
Ron
Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Ron, box emptied. Striblue and I are communicating about options and plans going forward with Monomoy.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Striper Fan

Quote:
Colin, thank you for the thoughts and contribution to our fishery. It seems that if we had more fishermen like you on both sides of the Atlantic, with a giving back mentality, its inconceivable what we could accomplish.

Speaking about fisheries and what we can do to enhance them, what is the current thinking about the netting of atlantic salmon continuing on the west side of Scotland?
Jim

The nets are still being bought out,however the biggest problem is the huge number of Salmon farms on the West coast sea lochs.

Personaly I would rather see contoled netting of wild Salmon than farms which are terrible for the enviroment they are placed in,hoover up sand eels and sprats to use as feed and escapees breeding with wild fish,screwing up the genetics forever.

Unsustainable aquaculture has made "Scottish smoked Salmon" so cheap its an everyday item, I would like to see a day when we have a healthy enough fishery only to sell the real thing at a premium.

Net buy outs have without doubt helped on my local River,however they were done at the same time as a massive amount of impovement to the spawning and nursery areas.So its impossible to tell which has done the most good.
One negative of the net buy outs is that netsmen were allowed to shoot otherwise protected seals interfearing with thier nets,many never got even close.....We now have more seals than Monomoy!

Im not as pro netting as this sounds,nothing sadder than seeing these amazing fish killed on thier way to breed.But the alternative is that we may end up with fish so messed up they cant find the right country to spawn in never mind the right stream.

Cheers Colin
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Colin makes a very good point about the salmon farms - but so far in the US I have not found any 'wild' scottish salmon here that was not farmed

If you read the packaging carefully, it nearly always says 'farmed in atlantic waters in scotland' etc or doesn't say it at all, or says artificial colouring used. that means farmed.

if your waiter or fresh fish guy doesn't know, that also means its farmed.

I never buy it, because its full of crap (MGH, steriods, antibiotics, colouring etc) and its harming the salmon and sea trout fisheries.

Mark.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Colin, thanks for the info on the salmon situation. I enjoy lox and bagles, but now I'm relegated to wild caught salmon from Alaska. When the consumer begins to push-off on farm-raised salmon, the supply will be reduced. The eco ramifications of pen-raised salmon is scary. Sea lice proliferation, escapees mixing with wild stock, fish meal requirement, and waste by-product are some of the major concerns that don't seem to be addressed by entities charged with oversight. Closed loop systems for farm-raised catfish, talapia and striped bass may be an option.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:29 AM
In moderation

Quote:
When the consumer begins to push-off on farm-raised salmon, the supply will be reduced. .
Hi Jim
This is not going to happen very quickly.
Here in Germany Smoked salmon is available very cheaply in every supermarket. It has become something normal and not exotic as it was 30 years ago.
This means that the majority of people who buy it are not nature loving anglers but normal consumers. The power of marketing and political lobbying makes it so that these farms are promoted as positive ways of getting food on the table and not environmentally destructive or full of harmful chemicals.
Now if it could be proved that there was genetic engineering involved it would be a different story.
That's an idea

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.