Micros - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Micros

Last year I became more confident swinging a very small fly, tied on #12 low water doubles and singles. Seemed like those sizes produced most of my takes......either in very early July (7/2) or late August/September.

It gets me thinking that I am just scratching the surface of change. Had little luck with anything bigger than an 8. Never really fished with such small flies in decent flows of water before last year. They were the key to my success. Now after reading a few postings I see 'Micro Tubes" being spoken about. I have to admit I know little about them but would love to learn.

Any advice around as to where I start, and where I purchase the proper material? Would love to tie some micro patterns and learn to fish them. Would like to work them through one of those pools filled with reluctant fish that are bored to tears with the traditional ties and sizes. I think there may be a chance for me in some of those pools, perhaps with something special. Any thoughts or Advice?
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Last year I became more confident swinging a very small fly, tied on #12 low water doubles and singles. Seemed like those sizes produced most of my takes......either in very early July (7/2) or late August/September.

It gets me thinking that I am just scratching the surface of change. Had little luck with anything bigger than an 8. Never really fished with such small flies in decent flows of water before last year. They were the key to my success. Now after reading a few postings I see 'Micro Tubes" being spoken about. I have to admit I know little about them but would love to learn.

Any advice around as to where I start, and where I purchase the proper material? Would love to tie some micro patterns and learn to fish them. Would like to work them through one of those pools filled with reluctant fish that are bored to tears with the traditional ties and sizes. I think there may be a chance for me in some of those pools, perhaps with something special. Any thoughts or Advice?
Venture

Here on the North Shore small flies smaller than 8 down to 14 have been the norm for quite some time, small dark patterns are very popular with the locals with few people showing their secret flies ( when they have a secret fly over here its almost often a small version of a very poular fly like the black ghost or rusty rat.)

And another fact here the locals fish with small flies so much that in late July fish have seen them so often that a big fly will create quite a take. Goes to show how different rivers create different results due to anglers practices

Jocelin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM

Very popular on some of the rivers over here in Scotland, such as the Deveron and the Dee. Generally just tie them on narrow bore viton tubing or on plastic lined narrow metal tubes.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM

They are, and have been for years, very popular in Iceland. I use the straws from WD40 aerosols for the tubing as it is thinner than many other tubes. I can get as many as three flies from one straw. I also make riffle tubes in the micro version. I think they work way better than riffle hitching a fly on a hook.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 AM
In moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
They are, and have been for years, very popular in Iceland. I use the straws from WD40 aerosols for the tubing as it is thinner than many other tubes. I can get as many as three flies from one straw. I also make riffle tubes in the micro version. I think they work way better than riffle hitching a fly on a hook.
I have fished mini tubes with a hole in the side fished as a hitch several times in Iceland with some success.
I tried them out on the Grande in Gaspe last autumn also with success.

I bought these flies in Iceland as a package, included were also some extremely small flies down to size 18 trebles which also work when the fish have seen everything else.

They are tied and designed by an Icelander called Dr. Jonas.
If you need further info I'll send a PM.

Pete
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM

As an aside - I was fishing the York in fall of 2006 with a friend. We were at Keg, a pool that is probably fished every single day in the season, so the fish there have seen pretty much everything. We were in rotation with two other people. After most of day, in fading light, and no bumps for anyone, my friend, on a lark, ties on a plankton fly used for sockeyes out west. It is nothing more than a very small, short-shanked hook (around 16) with a tiny piece of bright green floss wrapped on it. Literally, nothing more - no collar, no hackle, nothing but a tiny snippet of green floss wrapped on the shank.

First swing with the fly it gets hammered by a 12lb buck who had inhaled it well back into the roof of his mouth. Only fish from the pool that day.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Venture

Another "aside". My biggest fish hooked last year was on July 2 which is early season in my neck of the woods.....on a #12 low water double tied very sparse. The fish was all of 30 pounds, perhaps high thirties. It saw every conceivable dry fly, wet fly, etc over several days. One cast over his lie with this small sparse fly produced a very aggressive take. Lost the fish and the fly. That was how my season started last year. Used that fly to death for the rest of the season with favorable results.....can't complain.

Want to try some small micro tubes this year and give them something completely different again. There is a pool below my camp that holds many fish all season and sees many flies. I like to fish this pool "off hours" and miss the rotation deal. That time of day may be a good time to show them something different than the many green butts and rats they all have come to know and admire.... Something very small with a bit of an action.

Man, this kind of talk really wakes me up and shakes winter off... Looking forward to writing some reports already.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Howie
When we used to stay at your cabin ,we'd fish Lebreux as well during "off " periods ,especially the head in the rapids .Fly of choice were wee #12 SPARCE BBGB's tyed a la Johnny Cucco with North Shore style wings . Hooked quite a few 20lb + fish ,however ,lost I'd say 9 out 10 of fish that were hooked .Great fun though !!
The head of Lebreux was a nice spot where 2 with 2 handed rods could comfortably work the area together.
Let's hope that last yrs. deluge has scoured the river bottom out and Lebreux has returned to its former fish holding status :-)
Cheers
Brian
Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Venture

Brian,
I don't think Lebreux need scouring. Many fish in that pool last year....and the year prior. But did not see any action at the head last year...although I did see it getting fished quite regularly. Many fish through the mid section right through the tail. Year before produced well for me in the head on dries.....no big fish. But last year for some reason the head was not as productive for me. Perhaps I'll swing a sparse BBGG #12 when no one is around.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Howie,
A few years back, my friend and guide on the Bonaventure remarked to me that they always used to fish 8s and 10s all through the season, but that now they were getting many more fish on quite large 2s and 1s, even 1/0s. Maybe the pendulum is now swinging the other way? I guess it pays to try something different!

One of the largest salmon I ever hooked was on the Margaree, on a size 16 (Wilson). Of course I lost it, but not before some stupendous jumps on a short line! Good memories on this snowy day!

I got some very nice micro tubes to try, sold as a kit by Lagartun the tinsel people. Probably I shouldn't mention the retailer on here but you can send me a private message if you are interested.

cheers,
Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.