Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
G'Day Chris...

If all else fails...
Google "flyfishing detroit" &/or "flyfishing toronto"...
Others will probably chime in but that'll get you going inthemeantime...

Better bring a sweater!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
In moderation

Hi Chris
I also live in Germany but I do know of a tackle shop in Toronto. I'll send you a PM.

Pete
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeyer
hi all,

i'm in northamerika in two weeks. who can give me adresses from tackleshops
in toronto or detroit?

chris
Toronto is a dead zone for fly fishers. I believe interest in fly fishing probably peaked here in the 1980's and has been dying a slow death ever since. There is now only one full service fly shop located in downtown Toronto, a Hardy dealership in a suburb west of the city, a full service shop about 1 hour west of Toronto and another about 2 hours northwest and that is it. A few stores sell some low end fly tackle as an adjunct to their bait and hardware businesses but that wouldn't be what you are looking for. None of these shops carry nearly the inventory that we used to see in the old days so you would be lucky if you just drop in and they have what you want. If you intend to actually shop here, you probably know that the Canadian dollar has risen from about 0.70 per $US to par in the blink of an eye. This should mean that prices are about the same but the fact is that they are not; if you manage to find a shop, or shops, in Detroit, you will more than likely save yourself a few bucks.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Oh, I forgot. A huge US megastore chain has a store in a suburb north of Toronto. Caters mostly to bass fishermen and the like but they do carry some fly tackle.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
In moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd
Toronto is a dead zone for fly fishers. I believe interest in fly fishing probably peaked here in the 1980's and has been dying a slow death ever since. There is now only one full service fly shop located in downtown Toronto, a Hardy dealership in a suburb west of the city, a full service shop about 1 hour west of Toronto and another about 2 hours northwest and that is it. A few stores sell some low end fly tackle as an adjunct to their bait and hardware businesses but that wouldn't be what you are looking for. None of these shops carry nearly the inventory that we used to see in the old days so you would be lucky if you just drop in and they have what you want. If you intend to actually shop here, you probably know that the Canadian dollar has risen from about 0.70 per $US to par in the blink of an eye. This should mean that prices are about the same but the fact is that they are not; if you manage to find a shop, or shops, in Detroit, you will more than likely save yourself a few bucks.

This is nonsense
Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
This is nonsense
Thank you, you are so kind. Your post is soooo informative.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM

Since the Moderator did not explain why he thinks all of my comments are nonsense, I will expand a bit on why I said what I said.

I believe that a city of some three million people should be able to support more than one fly shop. Toronto itself has exactly one: that is why I called it a dead zone. My guess as to reason is changing demographics. The population of Toronto now comprises about 50% recent, first generation immigrants. I daresay that almost all of these people come from places around the world with no tradition of fishing for sport compared to previous waves of immigrants who largely came to us from Europe.

In the past, Toronto had numerous fly shops. Over the years, they have all but one succumbed. First to go was the fishing department in Simpson's (used to sell Paynes, Leonards, Hardys, etc.), next to leave was Abercrombie & Fitch (the previous incarnation before they converted to a kiddie's clothing store), next to fall was Skinners and finally, Pollacks. All of these were located in downtown Toronto. I took these exits from the business as a sign of a decline in popularity of fly fishing. However, it could be that people around here are still as interested as ever but that their purchasing habits have changed, i.e., internet purchases versus bricks and mortar. Anyway, that was the evidence on which I based my opinion that interest was declining. I also notice that fewer and fewer young people seem to be taking an interest in fly fishing, at least around here.

As it happens, I am currenty shopping for another fly rod so my comment that the same equipment is more expensive in Canada than in the US is from actually comparing the cost for a specific item. This is not necessarily the dealer's fault. There are any number of legitimate reasons for a higher selling price in Canada; the size of the market, shipping, duty, brokerage, foreign exchange rate at the time the item was brought in by the shop, etc. The original poster, visiting from Germany, would not incur these additional costs if he bought in the USA. For me as a resident, the cost of purchasing locally are close enough to the total cost of shipping in from across the border that I buy locally.

A while ago, I was shopping for a net. The shop in Toronto used to keep lots in stock of all sizes. This time, they had none, I mean zero, and they couldn't say if they would be bringing any in. It was not the first time this happened to me. A couple of years ago I went in to buy some salmon hooks in November. They were out of one of the sizes that I wanted but was told that they would be restocking in January. I checked back 3 times in January and February but they never showed up. I gave up and ordered via the net. This why I mentioned inventory as a problem.

Last edited by abcd; 02-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.