Best Tarpon hooks ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Best Tarpon hooks ?

So I think it's time to try my hand at the Tarpon game and I need to start tying up some Tarpon flies and I know from what I have read that really good, sharp hooks are required. So what should I be looking at using, I really have not had much experience with tying these type of flies.
Also does any one know of any really good books or videos that deal with Tarpon fishing and flies?
Thanks guys Trev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Hooks

If you're targeting large fish: Owner Aki

Last edited by vtloon; 02-11-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 AM

I agree. They are the best. Depending upon the pattern I'm tying I also use Gamakatsu SC15, SC15/2H, SL12, and the new SC17. The SC15 and 15/2H are wide gap hooks which when tying on them seem to have short bodies. The SC17 is even more so and has very heavy wire. I like using the SC17 on patterns that essentially have no body---Apte-type patterns, for instance. For toads and patterns like that, the Owner Aki can't be beat. Forget about the cost. Tarpon fishing is rarely inexpensive.
As far as books--Tarpon on Fly by a good friend of mine, Don Larmouth, will get you started. Good DVDs are the Chasing Silver series by Jamie Howard. The Billy Pates videos, that are now twenty or more years old, are still quite applicable. Stu Apte has done several that tend to be a little long-winded but contain some terrific advice that's still appropriate. I think Tim Borski's tying DVDs have some tarpon patterns featured.

Last edited by JR SPEY; 02-10-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Owner AKI are great.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

After thinking about all the tarpon I've lost... I've concluded that it all boils down to sh*t luck whether you get the point into a crack in the armor (or not).

I am going to try circle hooks this winter, I bet they will work
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 AM
In moderation

I know that a lot of the guides in the Keys recommend Owner Aki hooks. Normally in comparatively small sizes like 1/0. These are great for toad flies.
In the Keys because of fishing pressure the guides prefer smaller flies and lighter leaders (50#).
In areas where there is not so much pressure I use larger flies like 4/0 and I tie tarpon bunnies usually using Tiemco 600SP hooks.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Circle Hooks for Tarpon

I find that the smaller Tarpon (say, 30# or less) are harder to get hooked up than the larger fish. My theory is that a 10# fish has just as hard a bony mouth as a bigger fish; but when you tighten up then hard strip-strike a smaller fish, you move the fish more easily and thus reduce the penetration force (compared with a larger fish). I have found that I have a higher "stay stuck" rate with the smaller fish when I use circle hooks (typically the Mustad C71). When fishing for larger fish, I use Owner AKI and Gamakatsu SC-15.
As said, it's just a theory. And, since I follow it, there's probably an element of self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The circle hooks make sense to me. There's certainly no lack of tension when they hit

Do you find they hold on the jawplates or only in the cracks and crevices?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 PM

I have had hooks hold in the jaw plates of both large fish and juvies. Twice I've had juvies hooked in the tongue ridge (both with circle hooks), and it was really hard to get the hook out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.