New line for overheading avail - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
LBFF Mojo

New line for overheading avail

Not sure if you guys know but RIO just came out with a new line that is perfect for thise fishing 2 hands off the beach. They are called the AFS line and come in floater, intermidiate tip, hover and type 4 sink. rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=133

These are spey rated so look at the grain weights to determine what you would want. The 8/9 at 520 grains and 38.5' in length is about perfect on the big CND rod and they cast very well. I like em.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info, Sean.
I had heard some rumblings but have been unable to find anyone who had actually used one on the TH Overhead Rods. Anybody out there used one yet?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Not sure if you guys know but RIO just came out with a new line that is perfect for thise fishing 2 hands off the beach. They are called the AFS line and come in floater, intermidiate tip, hover and type 4 sink. rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=133

These are spey rated so look at the grain weights to determine what you would want. The 8/9 at 520 grains and 38.5' in length is about perfect on the big CND rod and they cast very well. I like em.

-sean
I was looking at the Rio web page last night and noticed these new lines, and oddly enough I was thinking of the CND 11/11 as I checked out the specs of these lines, I was thinking either the 8/9 or the 9/10. I have been searching for a proper spey type line for this rod to use in the canal, I think I may have finally found one.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

sounds like Simon has done it again - can't wait to try them out this year
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 PM

I was looking for a line for my Loomis 11'3" beach rod and a gentleman from Rio , forgot his name, talked me out of the AFS line infavor of the "standard" Outbound. He said that the AFS line was made for a more gentle presentation as in "true" spey casting.
Herb
Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
LBFF Mojo

True enough it is a more gentle line and the taper is the exact reverse of an outbound. It is basically a scandanavian shooting head design. They overhead plenty there and while you may not get the turn over a lead brick performance of the outbound a line like this will be much more useful in situations like on the flats where you are looking for a delicate approach rather than the aggressive splash down an outbound has. Just depends what you are looking for I guess but put 530 grains behind most files and you will turn it over.

-sean
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Sean,
Thanks for info. That is exactly the application I was looking for with another rod.
Herb
Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 AM

AFS Outbound

"The AFS OutBound has a similar taper design to the AFS shooting head but the body continues seamlessly into a thin, floating shooting line of 0.030" diameter. It is ideal for those that donít want a connection between the head and the shooting line." This line is not to be confused with the regular Outbound line.
Sean, what do you think of this line? FishHawk
Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
LBFF Mojo

I was not aware they are offering it in a full line version. Same line but with the integrated running line so it is up to you what you want. The heads with the built in loops are nice and if you plan on switching between densities during your fishing day it would be the way to go and just buy a running line seperate and switch between heads as you wish.

Or if you guy a reel with extra spools sitting around the sperate lines are nice but you will save money in the long run with just the heads.

-sean
Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Unfortunately, the AFS Outbound integrated line only comes in floating line versions; to get intermediate or sinking densities you need to order the AFS shooting heads and connect them to your running line of choice.
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.