Inexpensive fly tying vises - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Inexpensive fly tying vises

I just started fly tying and want to buy a decent, but inexpensive vise. I am currently looking at a Griffin Mongoose, but know almost nothing about the pros and cons of various brands. I would like to spend in the neighborhood of $ 150.
Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Steve M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Jonesin...

The Renzetti Traveler is a great vise. Looks like they went up a little in price at about ~$180 for the current version. Might be able to find one on eBay and get below your budget. Make sure you get the CAM version if you go that route.

Sean
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Rotary Vise

I was planning to upgrade my current Dyna-King to a Renzetti Traveller. But, 10 min ago in a neighbors little fly shop I looked at a really nicely put together vise. It's a Peak, 100% US made by a guy in Colorado. Price is same or a little less than the Renzetti. I'm going to see what the Saltwater Chuck looks like, then make a decision.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM

Ditto on the Renzetti Traveller Cam. Have used mine on everything from 28 midge hooks to 8/0 offshore hooks...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I don't know what planet you live on, but I don't consider $150 to be a cheap vise!

Anything by Renzetti is really great. You can't go wrong.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I don't know what planet you live on, but I don't consider $150 to be a cheap vise!

Anything by Renzetti is really great. You can't go wrong.

(Laughing).....Yeah, and did I tell you about my lamborghini?! Well, being new to this I was shocked when I went to the renzetti website and saw vises going for $600+, hence my inexpensive comment.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Certified Fish Nut

I really love my Renzetti Traveler (great jaws supporting good range of hook sizes), Stable, Rotary, Supports many advanced features, parachute clip, etc......

There is an entry level, non-rotary, Renzetti model (<$100 which is nice) but I forget the model number. I bought one for a gift to a good friend and it performs well on most trout/bass sized hooks. dyna-king appear to be equally good vices; but, I've never tied a fly using one and seem more $$$ for the same features as other vises... Regal vises have great jaws too (rarely slip a hook) but no rotary functions and lack other perks of other vises. Regal appears to be common w/ Beginner/Intermediate tiers that I know and is the most prevalent vise I see.

IMHO, Plastics should be banned from all mechanical devices as they are very often the first component to fail which might mean No Fly tying. Travelling w/ your fly tying gear can aggrevate wear-out of plastics (sunlight exposure, dropping/banging, temperature extremes, etc....). Almost all vices have some plastic but some contain significant plastic content... The result might be a less expensive vice; however, this is often with a trade-off of reduced quality. Renzetti, Regal, Dyna-King limit and/or avoid plasics altogether... I have little experience outside these vises.

List your requirements:
Hook sizes
Industrial Flies (e.g. heavy thread, bulky flies) or Delicate flies (e.g. dries sz <16's)
Travel Frequency
ETC....

If you are going to spend anything over $50 I recommended waiting/saving funds and purchasing a higher end vice that will last you (potentially) a lifetime. Anything less than <$100 will like need replacing or sigificant service in 3-5years if you tie a good qty of flies.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Pullin' Thread

The Griffin Mongoose is a very well made vise that will last a long time. Granted, itis not in the same league as the $250.00 and up Renzetti and Dyna King rotary vises; but the Mongoose has an excellent jaw that hold hooks very well, the jaws hold a wide range of hook sizes, it is rotary with the vise shaft offset one should always look for in a rotary vise because the offset does two things: 1) it allows more room at the rear of the hook, which is important when tying smaller flies; and 2) it keeps the hook closer to the rotary center line, making rotary tying a lot easier. Plus, the Griffin Mongoose will last a lifetime. Granted, it looks a little odd, but so what, it is a great vise for the money. Unfortunately, not a lot of the more experienced tyers have seen it in person or have touched and used it.

The Peak vise other mentioned is also a good vise, but not any better than the Griffin Mongoose. The Renzetti Traveler some mentioned is a good vise, but it uses a lot of aluminum in it (the traveler's jaws are steel, but most of the rest of it is aluminum), unlike the Mongoose which is made of steel and brass.

If you want to get either the best buys currently on the market in quality vises, these two are them. First is the Renzetti Presentation 2000. It uses the same jaws as the much more expensive Presentation 4000, but it keeps the cost down by using very high quality aircraft aluminum for most of the rest of the vise. It is truly a best buy and runs about $250.00. Dyna King is the other with their Baracuda Jr, an all steel vise with a killer jaw system, it sells for about $280.00. Dyna King also has the Baracuda Traveler, a smaller version still of the Baracuda vise, it sells for about $225.00
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
The Griffin Mongoose is a very well made vise that will last a long time. Granted, itis not in the same league as the $250.00 and up Renzetti and Dyna King rotary vises; but the Mongoose has an excellent jaw that hold hooks very well, the jaws hold a wide range of hook sizes, it is rotary with the vise shaft offset one should always look for in a rotary vise because the offset does two things: 1) it allows more room at the rear of the hook, which is important when tying smaller flies; and 2) it keeps the hook closer to the rotary center line, making rotary tying a lot easier. Plus, the Griffin Mongoose will last a lifetime. Granted, it looks a little odd, but so what, it is a great vise for the money. Unfortunately, not a lot of the more experienced tyers have seen it in person or have touched and used it.
I ordered a mongoose griffin through ebay. Have used it for about a year now and I can only say it is worth every single penny!
Itīs solid, no problem with very small hooks (24-26), it holds them tight and leaves enough room to tie.
But for the bigger bonefish clousers itīs also very good (hooks till size 2)
I even tied streamers on it (hooks till 8/0) but then you have to put the hook a bit more backward in the jaw.

A solid footplate gives it enough stability for the tougher work.

In my opinion maybe itīs not that wellknown brand everybody is hilarious about, but for me (not a beginner anymore) it serves well enough to be satisfied for the coming years.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM

I am fully satisfied with my Mongoose. At it's price point it delivers. I tie bunches of Classic Salmon and saltwater patterns that routinely require hooks in the 1/0 to 9/0 range as well as minute midge patterns. It's a user friendly vise with jaws that are gentle on the hooks finish. The Montana Mongoose comes with a carrying case that's equipped with pedestal and clamp options allowing the tyer to be prepared for all instances. The extra 200-500 bucks I saved by not purchasing certain Renzetti, Waldron, and Dyna-King models was spent on other more quality dependent items

DaveG
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 AM

I am leaning toward the Griffin Montana Mongoose. My only concern, and this is true of the renzetti traveler as well, is that the literature states that it can handle flies up to 4/0. I want to use the vise for both fresh and saltwater flies. Can this vise handle an appropriate range of saltwater flies?

Steve M
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Local Boob

Define "appropriate"

I bit the bullet a few years back and got a Dyna-King Barracuda - the reason was simple I wanted a vise which would hold BIG hooks. An average sized striper fly for me is a 6/0 - and I regularly tie up to a 10/0.

350 or so is a lot of money to spend all at once - but I strongly suspect I'll have this vise all my life - I've spent a hell of a lot more on a hell of a lot less.

Probably the most expensive vise you can buy is one that isn't going to suit your needs and requires an upgrade.

Another vise I would be sure to check out at least would be the Danvise - at 80 bucks its a great vise - its downside (at least for me) was its lack of ability to hold big hooks anything bigger than a 3/0.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Yeah Sean.....appropriate is a bit vague. What I should've said is flies up to at least 8/0. I guess I'm back to the drawing board......
Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Local Boob

For hooks that large the cheapest vise I've found is the Barracuda Jr Trekker.

The jaws are the same as the full sized Barracuda and they sell "midge" jaws if you are one of those sick people that tie micro-flies.

Not cheap at around 200 bucks - but cheaper than buying two.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Miami Vyce......

Rotary "Multi-Tasker"...
'can handle size 28 up to 250/0 along with sheet metal and hd steel pipes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.