Opinion on new rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Opinion on new rod

Hi folks,

I am planning to purchase a new saltwater rod, to be used for tarpon, shark, striped bass and anything else I can think of. I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two: Sage Xi2 9' 11wt and a Loomis Crosscurrent 9' 11wt. I am wondering if anyone in the group has experience with either or both of these rods and what your opinion of them is. I will be matching it with Tibor Riptide QC, so it should be a sweet outfit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 07:21 AM

Thoughts

Hi.....

I think it all comes down to what feels comfortable in your hand and can it handle the conditions and fish you are after. Like any rod that you choose to fish for multiple species with, it is about trade-offs......by the way, I am an Xi2 guy....

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree with my longtime friend on this one, the Xi2 is schweet but an 11wt is not the ideal striped bass rod.

You typically cast often when searching blind and cast spontaneously when not (sight fishing). In either case a fast stout rod would not be my first choice however I am not build like Schartzenegger either.

Actually I saw him on TV recently and I might be getting pretty close
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 AM
In moderation

I use a Sage Xi2 11wt for tarpon fishing and I have landed a number of good fish with it.

I am normally not a Sage fan but I really like this rod.

I could not imagine using though for stripers. It would hurt to blind cast with it for a long period.

Pete
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM

xi2 11w 9'0

ive jumped just one tarpon and yet to actually hook a football bft on it yet but the rod for me will absolutely launch a 400gr 26ft sink tip. not for blind casting, but i love this rod for the quick load single back cast sight cast at the ready.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
If you really want to use the rod for stripers, I'd step down to a 10 wt. Might be a little light for big shark and big tarpon, but it will still handle them fine. And it'll be a lot better striper rod.

I've been shopping around for a 9 wt striper/blue/albie rod and the Cross Current is what I decided on. I cast Scott, Sage, and other rods and the Loomis sticks were easily the best casting.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks guys. So my question now is, given that a 10 wt. is a better rod for stripers, is a 10 wt. too light for tarpon and sharks? Either way I go will be a compromise, I know, but I am trying to find the best compromise. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Depepenz

It depends...........what size & where for the Tarpon & Shark (actually the Stripers too)? The fish in my avatar was approx 80# and was caught on a 1pc 8/9 rod. But, it was in Glades back-country where a max cast distance usually is 50 -60 ft and rarely exceeds70 ft. Fishing flats in the keys, I'd choose an 11 wt.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
President of CAC

I have used my 11 weight Sage Xi2 for stripers, but I used it at the rip at South Monomoy at a fast minus tide and was glad I did...good casting range and power to play the striper in an opposite current. But other weight rods were also successful. I got my new shop magazines and once again... new rods.... I still have a great Scott eclips 10wt, I use on the flats with the intermediate (I have yet to try a floater with it, but I bet it would be perfect)... a nice medium to slow action rod for the line and perfect for quick casts as well despite it being slower action. New models every year now instead of the 2 to 3 year intervals... Anyway, I did get a new Orvis 6 wt Zero gravity for spring striper fishing... I opted for it because of cost to me...on sale plus the Orvis Guide elog program which basically cut the cost down to 60% . I did not think much about how it felt since I liked the T3. But still love the Winstons
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM

I'd go with the 10wt. the more i read about tarpon, a lot of guys go with 10 wts. With a Tibor Riptide, you should be fine. My opinion is that you fight big fish with the reel more than the rod. i think you're overgunning stripers with an 11.

where will you do most of your fishing?

BTW, I have a Scott 9 wt S3S and love it. I use it for stripers, bonefish, smaller tarpon, cudas, false albacore, redfish, snook.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Decision made

Thanks to everyone for their posts and PMs. Based on all that I heard and some other research, I have ordered a 9' 10wt Loomis Cross Current GLX. Can't wait to try it. Thanks again all.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:56 PM

IMHO 10 wt is an excellent choice for tarpon if you pick a good rod with a strong butt (CC counts as one of those rods). I've taken poons up to 145 lb. on a 10 wt and I do fight the poon with the rod, I've not had to spend more than 20-25 minutes on any 'poon, even the 145 lb one.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM

I went to a lot of trouble to find the heaviest fly setup I could comforttably cast up to 2 hrs/day, and came up with a T&T Horizon 2 piece underlined with an 11 wt floating or intermediate line. I also throw a 325 gr Cortland sinkhead with it.

I spent many months and cast a lot of rods when I did this. There was a lot of 11 wt's I couldn't cast, but two rids (the T&T and Orvis trident) just clicked with me and my casting style. I think each of us would pick a very differet rod when dfaced with these criteria. There is just a lot of different caster and rod criteria that have to overlap just right - they'll combine differnely for different people.

I think it's well worth ones while to find this point. I like to fish from shore for large fish, and this setup just fits the bill. If you see me on the Falmouth shorefront at night, this is invariably the rod I'm using.

I was getting broken off shore fishing for bass with a 10 wt (Sage DS2) and wanted something with more initial stiffness. I'm very happy with the T&T, and landed a couple very memorable fish with it I would definitley have lost on a 10 wt.

The rod does double duty for light tuna, wahoo, dolphin, tarpon, ulua, large snapper, and it even scored a mongo Nile Perch once.

I think each of us has a different max. weight sweet point, but it's well worth finding it. Then just hope they keep making that very rod so you don't have to go through the process ever again.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
An 11wt might be too light for sharks. You might want to step up to a 12wt.
Capt. Scott Hamilton swears by 12 and 14wt rods for sharks.

Believe me, a large spinner, hammerhead, or bull will put a 150lb tarpon to shame!
A hammerhead or bull can trash a 10 or 11wt, and you'll need to be able to control the spinner's aerial death rolls.

Go Minnesota Vikings!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Frogfish, I have to ask, are we talking about equal weight sharks and tarpon when you say it puts them to shame? I've caught triple digit sharks and tarpon of roughly equal weight and IMHO the tarpon has more endurance - the sharks usually seem to give up quicker than a tarpon. But of course if we are talking about a 250 lb. shark, they can, and should, put a 150 lb. tarpon to shame. The other side of the coin is that past a certain size, some tarpon are fighting their own mass and it works against them...in my experience the best fighting tarpon on average are between 90 and 110 lb. They give the best aerial show (outside of the babies) and are strong with a lot of endurance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.