New Sage rods for warmwater - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Flats Rat

New Sage rods for warmwater

Its that time of year when the mailbox gets inundated with brochures from various tackle shops and manufacturers. One thing that sort of jumped off the page is a new line of fly rods by Sage designed specifically for warmwater bass.

At 7' 11" in length they are described as "Tournament Legal". Priced at $350 puts them in the mid range $wise. I didn't notice one at Marlborough, but then I wasn't really looking. The price includes a custom bass taper fly-line!

It would be interesting to see how they perform if anyone has tried one or maybe gets a chance at Somerset this week-end?

Does this mean the guys in the multi-colored outfits and high-speed bass boats are about to start waving the long wand in the Bassmasters I wonder?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eddie Howells (our "Eddie") was at the Leland Fly Shop booth and put one of those Sages in my hand. It was a cannon and at that length put the whole flyline out with the yarn on the back curtain.

It had a short head on it and a big fly with the bend cut, not something you see often at shows.

The characteristics that stood out were (1) it didn't feel short but it was and (2) it had tremendous power with a nice flex-feel that was neither soft nor stiff.

In addition to the bass bug application I was thinking it would make a good flats rod especially for overcast days.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Fly chucker

It's nice to see Sage make a rod specifically designed for this type of fishing. They had me convinced that all they catered to was coldwater and saltwater fishing.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM

I got to use a Sage rod for the first time a week ago at a private lake in Bangkok that is stocked with lots of big Barramundi. Wow, what a nice rod. The rod casted very easily and once hooked up, it handled these ridiculously hard-fighting fish with ease. I think my rod would have either broke or at least been damaged when these fish did their long runs.

This new rod sounds very interesting indeed. At $350, it's something I can afford too.

What other rods could compare to Sage rods as far as quality and strength go?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Hate to sound like the devils adocate but........what is the big (or less) difference in a "bass rod" and other rods in that weight range? Would an 8wt rod that we use for stripers handicap us if we use it for freshwater bass? I think not. Let's look at the rod makers for a second. They are here to make a profit and that's ok but I'm beginning to think (due to all the info that they send me) that they are beginning to split hairs by expanding their market by offering products that are not really needed. An 8wt, 9wt, or a 10wt should deliver flies for largemouth or stripers. Their striper rods should deliver largemouth offerings. Their bass rods should work in the salt. What is the critical difference here? Maybe it's just marketing. I don't think I'm too far off course here.

Millerbrown
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Fly chucker

Serious answer:

I wouldn't be using a rod that's only 7'11' for striper fishing. The plain fact that they've tailored the rod length and action (regardless of weight) for throwing bass bugs and other wind resistant flies tells me that they're doing more than merely splitting hairs. Plus you'd probably be hard pressed to find a Sage striper rod of the same weight in the price range of the bass rod described in this thread.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
LBFF Mojo

Really Dbl Haul?

It is totally marketing, millerborwn is right. You can buy a FLi rod that cast the same for under $300. I guess it feels good to say I bought a 'warmwater' rod but in the end if it is a good rod it is a good rod, no need to categorize it.

-sean
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM

IMHO...

Since it meets tournament rules if (big if) the so-called "bubba bass" crowd goes FF there would be less galvanized double-barbed gang-hooked treble faced sputterbangs impaling fish and I would be ok with that.

Who knows maybe Bass Pro shops might go from a pegboard of fluff next to the fire exit to worth stopping in for the fly shop.

This has potential. Instead of bringing a bag-o-bass to the weigh station tournaments miles from the fish's territory to be released at the gas dock, they might become touchy-feely fly guys and adopt a better criteria like "weigh and release". God knows there are HD video cameras everywhere in these tournaments to keep people honest. They can all watch their own movie at the trophy shack instead of the weigh-in drama. I'll buy the popcorn.

Keep in mind the tournament circuit has their crosshairs on redfish now, which has been revived in many places by fisheries management after the population was devastated. I hope they aren't gut hooking them for the weigh in.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Sage putting a product out there that applies to that hype-machine and I bet some of them adopt specifically because of the 'marketing'. If so, then that's good the way I see things.

If not well they made a rod that we, the real flyguys, might find an application for. Shorter rods are much better on the flats when wading and landing fish 100 yards from shore waist deep. Quicker loading rods with high control place the fly better / faster which is critical to sight fishing in semi-cloudy days.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 PM
LBFF Mojo

These 2 paragraphs are why bass fisherman would never become fly flingers:

Quote:
This has potential. Instead of bringing a bag-o-bass to the weigh station tournaments miles from the fish's territory to be released at the gas dock, they might become touchy-feely fly guys and adopt a better criteria like "weigh and release". God knows there are HD video cameras everywhere in these tournaments to keep people honest. They can all watch their own movie at the trophy shack instead of the weigh-in drama. I'll buy the popcorn.

Keep in mind the tournament circuit has their crosshairs on redfish now, which has been revived in many places by fisheries management after the population was devastated. I hope they aren't gut hooking them for the weigh in.
Bassmasters will never go to fly rods. The point is to catch the most and biggest fish. Fly fishing aint going to get it done compared to what a good bass gear guy can do.

I would pay to see you out there though in a center console with a pink fly fishing shirt and a bandana around your neck.

-sean
Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
It may be a great marketing ploy for Sage (remind me to buy some stock) but in terms of fishing I'll take my 7 wt. Loomis GLX anyday. I have a 40 acre largemouth bass pond a short walk through the woods from my house in NH. Whether I am using a clouser or a popper, it gets the job done. My 9' GLX is by far my favorite rod. The only advantage I see is that the shorter rod may be better at pulling the fly through the pads. It terms of casting, it can't possibly equal the distance of a 9 footer.

Steve M.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
President of CAC

Rods geared to specific fish stike me as odd (I know all about the marketing angle). Next thing you will see is a new 1 wt, saltwater rod , for catching herring or little macks...or dangerious salt water guppies (Do they have those?). I had a nice coversation with Barry Beck a few years back and we both descovered we were still using a Sage 9 wt. for saltwater. I forget the make of Sage but it was the one with the blue color just before the saltwater phenom. My recollection was that it was primarily for salmon.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Kiss my bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean

I would pay to see you out there though in a center console with a pink fly fishing shirt and a bandana around your neck.

-sean
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Really Dbl Haul?

It is totally marketing, millerborwn is right. You can buy a FLi rod that cast the same for under $300. I guess it feels good to say I bought a 'warmwater' rod but in the end if it is a good rod it is a good rod, no need to categorize it.

-sean
I wasn't trying to insinuate that there is no marketing involved, quite the contrary. But I don't think it's all marketing either.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Sage.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Bassbug Rod

I've been watching these rods come on the scene with a good deal of humor. This is because my almost always bass (LM & SM) is a Sage (just Sage, pre RP/RPL/RPLX/RPLXI/XP etc) 8'3" for a 7/8. It has a slow(er) but strong flex pattern that's just right for bassbugs. So, maybe I'll shorten the grip 4", move the reel seat up and go get me a can of Redman, a sponsor and some decals.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Flats Rat

I was really interested in why Sage, who seem to be pretty smart folks, would specifically come up with a 'tournament legal' setup? If it was pure marketing, I can think of much better ways to reach a much wider audience?

Also, being an "oddball" length I was interested in how it performed. My experience with shorter rods (including the tip sections of several spin rods ) is that they can generate spectacularly tight loops.

Last edited by Adrian; 01-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.