Trip Suggestions - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
Trip Suggestions

Hey guys,

I'm a junior in HS, and after I graduate in the Spring of '09, my friend and I want to take a week long flyfishing trip somewhere. We were looking at a variety of saltwater and freshwater destinations, but narrowed it down to saltwater (and one freshwater place...Greenland for arctic char).

We want a place where we can find good guides, and have the opportunity to chase a multitude of species from the boat, flats, and beaches. We would also like to have the opportunity to venture offshore to for bigger quarry. With lodging/trip+air fare, we don't want to spend more than $5000 per person.

I'll be taking this trip sometime between the months of June and August.

I have 3 places I am seriously looking at:
Weipa, Australia
Christman Island
Seychelles (although I still have to find a place with cheaper rates)

How about the Pacific coast of Costa Rica for Roosterfish and Sailfish?

We don't want anything fancy, no 5-star hotels or luxury suites. We could even camp or sleep in the car, if that is safe. The only requirement is that the fishing must be good!

Any suggestions/guides/lodges?

Thanks
-FF

Go Minnesota Vikings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The roosterfish idea is a good one in terms of season and cost, or check out the Baja Peninsula.

Not sure about June and July in the other destinations you listed, hopefully someone else will chime in about summer down there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM

On 5g's you could fish for a month in mexico if you stayed away from expensive lodging and expensive guide fees. I've been looking into the north shore of the yucatan, west of holbox, rio lagartos ( sp?) area. Souinds like alot of baby tarpon and snook, but much of the area hasn't been fished and guides are pretty cheap there, but there is little if any info on the web about fishing in the area. For that amount of money you could definetly set yourself up anywhere in the yucatan for a week with guided fishing or anywhere in the caribean.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 AM
In moderation

Hi Frogfish

You are looking at some pretty exotic locations for one of your first (I assume) trips.

I don't know how experienced you are but I gather from your post that you are reasonably young, well compared to most of us here.
For your money you could go to a great number of different places.

Suggestions that I would like to make are as follows:

Firstly don't spend too much of your budget on air fare. There are many exceptional places closer to home.

If you go now to the best place there is in the world and catch fish of a lifetime then there is, in future, no where else to go.

By going in summer it is best to stay out of the Northern Hemisphere tropics because of tropical storms and hurricanes.

At the moment I am sorry I can't give you any more advice until you narrow down what you are after.
There are many multi species locations.

If you can give me a little more info I can maybe give you a little more help.

Pete

PS Why go to Greenland for arctic char? There are a lot in Northern Canada and Alaska.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:48 AM

C'mon pete there are always new places to go fly fishing

For example you could spend a lifetime exploring french polynesia and not fish the same atoll twice. Have you seen the number of untouched unpopulated atolls out there.

I agree though don't waste money on airfares, spend it on more time fishing. You can fly around the world relatively cheaply these days if you are flexible. The key is to book your flights well in advance.

Looking at your budget you could fish both Weipa or Christmas Island for 2 weeks all in. The only real option in the Seychelles would be St Joseph's but that would only be for a weeks fishing.

Regards
Mat
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mat -

Please provide some tasty google earth search terms for French Polynesia. I'd like to have a look.

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM
In moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Mat -

Please provide some tasty google earth search terms for French Polynesia. I'd like to have a look.

thanks
He means the ones in grass skirts.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM

There are some distractions out there!!

Juro,

Start with French Polynesia

Then tuamuto and explore.

Have fished one atoll for two weeks. Slept on the beach. Lived off fish. Just trying to work out when I can go do it again.

You can see a trailer of a film of a few of our adventures out there.

http://www.gin-clear.com/WordPress/

Mat
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM
In moderation

Hi Matt

Great film!!

Of course my advice was only for an amateur saltflybum, not a pro.

Hi Frogfish

You make your mind up which route you take.

Pete
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
Pete, that info was welcomed! I don't want to go to a place and be disapointed or overwhelmed.

I just don't have a chance much to travel international (especially with the career I'm looking into), so I want to take advantage of my opportunity.
I've done a lot of saltwater flyfishing in FL, as well as tons of fishing for salmon in BC and MI. Since I don't live near or in the tropics, I've never had much saltwater gear. Over the last few years though, I've built and accumulated some nice saltwater rods, and I'm in the process of getting a solid saltwater reel or two. I've sufficed in the past on borrowed gear and/or my salmon reels. But back to the trips...Not many times you have the opportunity to go to a place like Weipa or Christmas Island (well, at least for me ).

Weipa is pretty safe during summer, no cyclones or anything. How about Christmas Island? Its near the equator, so I don't know. Not many hurricanes hit Mexico is early summer too, so I think as long as I avoid late July and August down there, I should be fine...

Has anyone ever had any good experiences on the Pacific coast in MX for Roosterfish?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and keep them coming. I still have 1.5 years before this trip becomes a reality, so I want to make sure everything is set, and I won't be secondguessing myself.

Oh, BTW Pete, I chose Greenland for arctic char because of 1) I have a very good friend who is a flycasting instructor and guide in Switzerland, and he does a trip up there every year, and wants me to come along, and 2) the countryside there is stunning (not saying that N. America isn't) and it is isolated...which I like.

IMO, fishing can't get much better when you are out there by yourself or with a good friend, camping, and living of what you catch. Its just you, nature, and the fish...

Go Minnesota Vikings!

Last edited by Frogfish; 01-24-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.