Need recommendations for a guide near Portland - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Need recommendations for a guide near Portland

I will be in Portland for a job interview in early Febuary. I would like to take a half day guided trip preferable wading for steelhead. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am not sure If I want to go check out the Coastal waters or fish the Sandy. well, any help would be appreciated. JWW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM

You might try that fly fishing shop in Welches, Oregon. No link because they're not listed as a sponsor here (wish they were). They have pioneered guided winter flyfishing trips on the Sandy and are quite good at it.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gorgeous river.

Eric I will talk to them, they were in the past BTW.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 AM

If you don't find a guide (sorry I don't know any down south). You should be able to do research on the web for a little DIY trip. The Sandy is right near Portland and has a good run. If I remember correctly Dodge park is supposed to be a good access point. Double check the regs but I suspect it'll be open.

Last edited by scottr; 01-30-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM

You might also consider Oxbow Park on the Sandy. Right as you come into the park is Camp Collins. Walk directly from the Camp to the river -- there's a good fly drift there. The site of Marmot Dam also is good -- several nice runs there.

Above Marmot, there's some access on the Sleepy Hollow road. Other drifts can be reached from Hwy 26. Access on the Sandy is pretty much at road crossings and parks. The river is in a canyon and roads do not follow the stream course closely.

As mentioned above, Dodge Park vicinity is a good bet. If water conditions are favorable, there's good water right at the Park down to the mounth of the Bull Run. Just upstream from the Park, the Garbage Hole holds fish.

Best to go with a guide, though, if you can, otherwise you'll be spending most of your day driving around looking and exploring rather than fishing.

Good luck,

Eric
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
You might try that fly fishing shop in Welches, Oregon. No link because they're not listed as a sponsor here (wish they were). They have pioneered guided winter flyfishing trips on the Sandy and are quite good at it.

Cheers,

Eric
I second this. I bought my steelhead rod and reel from this shop and found them to be very knowledgeable and friendly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.