Forum Dinner kicks off 08 season. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Forum Dinner kicks off 08 season.

Had a great time at the Forum Dinner last night swapping stories and planning our tactics for the upcoming season.
Good to see and talk with CJS60, Guernseybass, Slinger , Fred A, JBasser, Adrian, Shad Freak, Striblue, Tom D, Juro, Warren, VtLoon, and the mystery lurker.
Had a nice chat with Packman , Drew and Chris from Maine and lots of laughs with Sean Juan , and Double Haul.
Kenny Abrams stopped by to say hello. I missed the Penguine.
We talked about upcoming Rip Trips and the Spring Clave with is on the weekend of May 17th.
Watched a good talk on Squid Flies by Capt Ray.

Last edited by FishHawk; 01-20-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Yes always a pleasure to run into you Bill , I would have liked to make the dinner but its a long way from home. Glad to see our Clave dates are set I best get tying
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 AM

I have to echo Bills sentiments. It was good to meet Basser, Fred and TomD.
Ran into Sean Juan and some young fella with him, introduce to me as his protégé. who had very much the same sense of humor. One wonders if the same cookie cutter was used? As an added Bonus I was able to meet the world famous Double Haul. And as always it is a pleasure to see Adrian, Gurnsey Bass, striblue, CSJ60, VTloon & Juro

Slinger was there too! buddy you are in a category of your own

The show was good too. At the America Museum of Fly Fishing booth, I was able to meet Stan Bogden, the famous New Hampshire reel maker . Had a nice chat with Capt Ray & Elise his wife. Spent a few minutes chatting with Gary Soucey who was there, he is an author & acquaintance of my dad. And sat through a fairly informative presentation on photo composition by Barry Beck.

I missed the penguin too.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
6th Year Apprentice

great to see you guys and temporarily relieve the shack nasties.

I hope to see a load of you at the bearsden show on the 10th

& thanks due to Bill for organising it. cheers fella.

Mark
Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Bill for your efforts in setting this up. It was great to see everyone in one place at mid winter. Got there about 3 and made a couple walks around .The show itself seemed to be going a bit downhill as the years go by. Alot of booths missing. Looked for First Light. Not there, as well as a lack in booths with tying stuff, not to mention probably 75% of the manufacturers. Stopped by the booth selling reels called Hatch, and my friends from Fishing The Cape. Spoke with Alan Caolo about fishing this season down in Chatham. Finally met Brad Burns of Stripers for Ever. Missed Capt Ray and Bob Pop and Double Haul. Good to speak with Kenny A. Spoke with Pacman and Todd Surrette for a while. CSJ60 ,FredA and Jbasser were also at the dinner and basser was in his prime . Spoke for a while with Pete (penguin) who could not make the dinner but showed me his Charlton MAKO reels, which were in a heavy leather shoulder case he had from his days in the service that he said was called a GUATEMALAN ASSASSINS BAG Truthfully. Gunner showed up for the dinner and I stopped by the Federation of Fyfishers booth and tried to talk Bob Ford, of who is a fellow member, along with me, of the Flycasters of Boston , to attend the dinner but he was committed to the TA dinner.. See you all at the spring clave. was a PS...Only two no-shows from the sign up list, so that was not bad.

Last edited by striblue; 01-20-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM

The lurker

down the other end from Fishhawk was me. It was great getting to meet you guys in person and I look forward to making it down for some fishing. Will try to make the spring clave -- it seems to take forever for the stripers to make it up the Kennebec while reading about all the fish you guys are catching.
Joe
Old 01-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Pencil me in.....

Thanks to Bill for organizing the get together. Good to meet all the folks to kick off the new season
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Middle Aged Member

Good seeing everybody. Don't know if the show is going downhill or is it just more of the same old same old. Great seeing the mainiacs, Daryl, Daryl and thier other brother Daryl - sorry you couldn't stay for dinner. Always good to see penguin and his new boy toyz (I liked the stealth finish on that new Reddington prototype reel). I got proper introductions from JF to Ken Abrams and Josko. Always liked Abrams content rich site and when I started looking at these fishing boards Josko's posts were among the first to grab my attention.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great breaking bread with the gang - we had quite a table load of characters and it was just a fraction of the local contingent.

In fact we looked like the second largest group behind the liars convention but I am sure we outdid them with our fish stories

I'll catch up to the rest of you thugs out west, down in the tropics, or the weekend before Memorial for those coming to the spring clave.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Flats Rat

Great time at the dinner last night meeting up with old friends and new. Thanks Bill for pulling this one together.

I did the show today as I was doing booth duty for the FFF. They have a cool program running right now (Project Healing Waters) dedicated to helping vets from Afganistan and Iraq.

Things certainly were a bit reduced from when I was last there two years ago. Still some great deals to be had. I couldn't resist the 8/9 Beulah switch rod that Scott had on display at Bears Den - plus it came with a free Rio Mid Spey line

TFO has a cool new line of rods out - the Axiom series with a price point that defies belief. I made a few casts with the 9ft 9wt and was very impressed - but managed to resist the temptation.

Also had a good chat with Eddie who was playing with an awesome bamboo 4/5 wt that cast effortlessly beyond 60ft. The price tag on that one was a bit higher so I resisted
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
I couldn't resist the 8/9 Beulah switch rod that Scott had on display at Bears Den - plus it came with a free Rio Mid Spey line
Adrian you dog! I was loving all over that yesterday. Sorry about the drool.

I can't wait to give that one a try...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Great Dinner Get-together

What a great get-together! A diverse crew brought together by an obsession-in-common. May can't come too soon. Thanks Bill and others who helped for all the work to put this together. All most of us had to do was show up, drink some beers and tell some lies.

I thought the show was significantly diminished on the tackle side, but still strong on the tying. Highlights: watching Ray S tie his Squid fly; Bob Pop showing me how to get my Tuff-Flye into the fly body; playing with a couple of Ken Abrams new 10'6" rods. In the end, remarkably little retail therapy.

An acid test: the 4 hr drive back today....thought of nothing but fly-fishing the salt.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Sound like everyone had a good time and left with a full belly.

Could not go to the shindig, but talked to Bill and Warren earlier in the day.
Know they put in plenty of time and effort getting it off the ground.

Elise and I want to thank everyone who stopped by the front porch.

Nice to have you kick off your shoes, sit on the rocking chair and reach into the pickle jar. Great seeing everyone together again.

Capt. Ray
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
thanks

thanks Bill for organizing the dinner, it was great to see you guys and lie about.... I mean relate all those true fishing stories

it was great to meet some folks I didn't know and as always a pleasure to see you salty dogs I know.

Tom D
Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Fly chucker

Sorry that I missed Adrian, Striblue, and Penguin.....but great to meet vtloon and Warren. Sounds like everyone had a good time at the meal on Saturday evening and makes me wish I could have stayed for it.

The tying row was great to see. Sean Juan and I talked with Fishy Fullum for about 1/2 hour, and then went to give Roger Plourde and Capt Ray a hard time. Capt Ray's mythbusting presentation was fun, and test casting a few of the Echo rods was eye-opening. Two words came out of my mouth after casting into the far curtain after one double haul on the 10 foot 7 weight: Holy @#^*! This will probably be my new steelhead rod.

I agree that the show seemed sparse, but when you're spending time with Sean Juan and bumping into people that you haven't seen in a few years (Fred, Juro, Bill), it's all good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.