Danielsson: Help please - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Danielsson: Help please

I noticed that the spots where the spool and counter weight contact, and also where the washer below the handle and spool contact are rusting a bit on my LW6/9 and LW8/12 that I bought last summer. I have used the 6/9 twice and 8/12 about 10 time for the saltwater fishing. After each outing, I dunked them in warm water several times, 10~20 seconds each, thoroughly washed them in warm water, then let them dry completely before putting them back into their pouches.

Is this kind of rust normal for all reels used in the salt and something that I should not worry about? They are just minor cosmetic issues now, but I'm a bit concerned that they may turn into a real problem in a few years. Do you have similar rust on your reels? Is there something I can do to remove the rust and prevent it from happening again?

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Hmmmm no rust on My LW 8eleven and I only give it a cold water bath & not a big one either. I do have some salt build up there. Clean it with a tooth brush & spray some WD-40 in there. or take the counterweight off and clean it real well and put some Vaseline under it before replacing the screw to help keep water out. salt is going to build up anywhere it does not get completely washed off
Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 AM

I think they should replace the rusted parts at Danielsson, it will probablly be wise to contact them.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Update

I reported this problem to the Danielsson and was told that they will send me replacement spools. It's great to know that they take good care of their customers.

By the way, I have talked to guys at local fishing gear shops to see how they maintain their conventional gears. They use stuff like Salt-Away and ReelX on their spinning and drum reels to prevent rust. I bought these items and plan to use them on my fly reels in the future.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 AM

It is a very good idea to rinse off your reel after fishing in the salt. This will prevent the buildup of salt .I just got a Nautilus reel which also has a sealed drag and the maintenance recommendations are that the reel be rinsed off with fresh water after fishing in the salt. I have done this with my Tibor and have not had any problem with rust at all. A little fresh water rinse will solve the rust problem.
Also , make sure the reel is dry after the rinse. FishHawk
Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 PM

FishHawk,

I actually have been doing more than rinsing (see my initial post). That's why I was surprised to see rusting on my new reels. The same method has kept my Teton and Tioga in a great shape in the last 2 years. Teton and Tioga are actually great reels for the money, I think.

I plan to do even more than what I have been doing to keep my reels in a great shape in the future. You might also want to use Salt-Away to keep yours in like-new shape.

Fishordie
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Any chance the surface was nicked accidentally ?
Sometimes it is hard to even see it.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 AM

To much cleaning and scrubbing can sometimes have the exact opposite effect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.