Custom rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Custom rod

Hey,
I'm looking for a second saltwater rod and have narrowed my choice down to a G Loomis rods. I'd like to get the GLX but it's a bit pricey, but I've found some custom rod builders that will make one for $100 less than the factory rod with the GLX blank. What is everybody's thoughts on this?

I'm mainly looking for the action of the blank but the other aesthetics would help tool...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM

A custom rod is always better. You can change guide sizes, get that look you want, make the grip fit your hand better etc... Go over to the rod building forum and have a look around at the rod showcase. Some of those guys build some nice sticks. You can even see some of mine I'll PM you the link.

You can even make your own, it does not take a lot of equipment to do a good job. But if you feel intimidated by the process, work with a local builder. It will be a better rod.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Jonesin...

Personally with GLoomis I don't think its much of a deal. One of the best things about their rods is the Expeditor service. For $50 they will send you a brand new stick no questions asked and you just stick the old rod in the tube and ship it back. For $65 they will 2-day air it. With the custom stick you would need to go back to the guy who wrapped it to warranty anything but the blank. Could work out but may cost you time on the water/money in the long run especially if you don't have backup gear. They also don't have serial numbers or warranty cards so used is just about as good as new in that regard. Might be able to save your $100that way. The CC GLX is one of my favorite stix for small hardtails.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
Custom rods IMO are much better than factory built rods. There are several manufacturers that disregard the spline of the blank when manufacturing rods, and such. Plus, most rod builders should and will give you the manufacturer's warranty on the rod. IMO, it's a no-brainer.

Go Minnesota Vikings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.