Acklins/Crooked flight times - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Acklins/Crooked flight times

For anyone coming over to either island this spring...quite by accident I learned Bahamas Air had changed the Saturday flight to a 11am departure from Nassau, meaning the return leg would not reach Nassau until about 2PM or later, thus most folks would miss their US connections home. Working with their shedulers in Nassau I was able to get the times changed to 8.30 on Saturdays starting February 9. I don't know, and rather doubt if they have or will make notifications about the time changes. Just a heads up to be at the airport by 6.30 or so and that your return connection should all be OK.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Bob - PM sent
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hi Bob
Thanks for that. I was going to have to change my returns and am happy that I'll now be able to get all the way back. I appreciate your work to get that done (and the private email). Looking forward to it.
Bill
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Great job Bob--thanks! I called and complained a couple times, but they did not seem too concerned.

I did just receive notification via e-mail from bahamasair about the change back to the earlier original times. That's good news for the trip home.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Gotta love commerce in the Bahamas. I didn't really care about the trip home. I was worried about lost time on the front end
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Wednesday flights?

Interesting development.
Do you know if the Wednesday flights from NAS to Crooked and Acklins are also changing? We are scheduled for 2 April and 9 April. The info I have presently calls for 8:30 am departure from NAS, and the return departing Spring Point at 10:40 am.
I will be sure to check with Bahamas Air as the date draws nearer. I hope they don't mess up the connection for the trip home.
And we don't want to lose any fishing time on the first day there.
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM

They had only changed the Saturday flight. The schedulaling commitee understands the problem, so I would not expect them to go later.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Are you staying at Felton's from April 2 to April 9 GMflyfish ?

Last edited by sidelock; 01-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Hello sidelock,
No, we are staying with the guide, Fedel, essentially in his house, to the east of Lovely Bay on the north end of Acklins. From there we fished near Crooked Is., around to the bight of Acklins, and some across quite open water. Very bouncy ride.
Accomodations were not plush but adequate, and Fedel did a very fine guiding job.
Going to give it another try this year.
Where is Feltons? I have seen that mentioned frequently but know nothing about the place.
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 PM

It's in Delectable Bay , south of where you are staying . I have not been there but I'm thinking about going down for a week of DIY and hiring a guide for a couple of days. I have send PM 's to a couple of people that had stayed there hoping to find out if there are enough flats to rotate for a week of DIY and avoid fishing where guides take their clients and also find out how the local people in that area feel about DIY fishermen but got no pesponse.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

I think you will find the locals to be most hospitable and DIYers will have no problems fishing for weeks on their own.

Felton
www.vrbo.com/261406
Forum Sponsor
Acklins! Only Heaven is better.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I agree with Acklinsboy. While I haven't personally stayed at Felton's place in the south (I stay up north in Chester's), I have not had a problem fishing DIY at all. The people on Acklins are very nice and welcoming, and the truth is that you will seldom see anyone while fishing. The guides generally fish areas that you cannot get to DIY--you need a boat.

Hiring a guide for a day or two is also good, as you'll get to see areas that you can't reach, plus they know the island inside and out.

GMflyfish--tell Fedel I say hello. He's a great guide and I'm sure you guys will have a great time. We're staying very close to Fedel's house. We're staying right on the huge interior flat you pass in Chester's on your way to lovely bay and Fedel's. We can see bones right from the porch!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Vince,
Fine, I will try to remember to tell Fedel hello from you. We walked right from Fedel's place and fished that flat behind the house a few times - with only modest success, but it was convenient.
I got over to Cattaraugas only for a couple days this fall and just caught a few nice steelies. I understand it was a very good year, until the water came up with a vengance.
I hope our air connections work out to Nassau/Acklins; last year was fairly smooth.
When are you going to be there this season?
Thanks. GMflyfish
Old 01-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Felton's place is well situated for DIY as there is a great flat and creek within an easy walk. He also has the only resonable SUV's for rent here, which allow you to access the norhern flats as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.