More Monomoy - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2000, 10:13 AM

More Monomoy

First off, thanks to Juro for putting this all together. Thanks to the Estey Bros. For the great chow (& the lower GI-series from the chilli). Also, thanks for the Friday night trip to The Race that was great. Also, thanks to Randy, Bruce & John for sharing their expertise, advice, and stories with us.

The Saturday South Beach trip started around 6:20 with a SW wind that was already kicking up. After being dropped off we walked over to the Ocean side & I hooked up with a nice 25" fighter on my third cast. After landing the fish & releasing it, it was promptly devoured by a huge seal. From there we headed over to the cove side & started fishing the dropping tide. Chuck hooked up with a real nice fish (34"), which took a real nice run. Next, Juro hooked up with a 32"er and I got some photos of the fight & the fish, but he broke off just as Juro reached for the leader, D'OH. Then another hookup & breakoff. Shortly after a pup seal swam by & popped up about 4' from our feet, so we decided to move on. We headed South to fish the big bar that shoots out perpendicular to the beach front. Roop & BigCat (AKA Ladder-Man) were already working the area, Al, Juro & I joined in. We casted for some time, but nothing happened, so we headed back to the North. Al & I work our way back towards Chuck; he hooked up several times. When we got to him, he said he was dragging a crab pattern, then proceeded to hook up again! The wind started kicking up even more & things slowed for a while. Everyone seemed to go off on their own to try to find the honey-hole. I went where Chuck was fishing, because he was the magnet. I switched to the QD line, because the wind was really blowing & the fish seemed to be in the deeper channels. Just as I was getting to the frustration point of thinking about taking an earlier shuttle back, Wham, a real rod bender. With the bend in the rod & my wrist, I was thinking keeper. Chuck proceeded to take some pictures (thanks), when low & behold, not a keeper but a 6+ lb blue; what a fight. After removing my destroyed clouser, I put on Juro's transparent sandeel clouser & proceeded to hookup & land a nice 22" striper; now I'm happy again.
Also, JimW was nearby & got some pictures; thanks man, I hope they come out.

All in all, it was a great day. Because of the strong winds it was not "Classic" flats fishing. I personally did not see any fish on the flats, but I think about of our group did.

Got to meet some more people whom I only knew by name, but not by face, Roop, JayC, Diane, BigCat, Rich & MikeP.

I think we deserve an award for the most slovenly camp site in Nickerson. We where the wildlife magnet.

I forgot to grab my disposable camera for developing this morning, but I'll get it in ASAP. Juro, how did that other shot of your fish come out? I hope it was worth the wader-sprint down the beach!

Once again, a great group effort made for yet another successful Clave. My lower body is sore from all of the walking/wading & my upper body is sore from all of the casting/landing, but it's a GOOD kind of sore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.