Need some help planning a trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Need some help planning a trip

Every year I go on a 4-5 day trip with a couple of college buddies to do some serious fishing. I'm the guy who decides where to go and when, and sets up food, lodging, beverages, driving route, basically everything. They just have to show up and have a good time and give me $$$ before they leave. The last few years it's been a trip to Maine for trout, salmon, and smallies, but this year I think it's going to be a trip for stripers in honor of my new kayak (and all that other gear I bought).

We normally go in the first week of June since that's prime trout time, and I think that's prime striper time too so I'll probably stick to that. What I don't know is where to stay. I'd like to camp somewhere out on the Cape that's not far from Chatham/Monomoy. Any suggestions? One main goal of the trip is to spend as few dollars as possible, so don't bother suggesting anything that will cost more than $50/day/person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM

The closer to Chatham the more $. Best bet is either Stone Horse in Harwich or Holiday Hill Motor Lodge in Dennisport / Dennisport Motel(about 18 minutes ride)...anything cheaper you will have to head further away. Both of the above should be in the 50 to mid 50 range that time of year.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Flats Rat

Nickerson State Park gets very good reviews and is right on "the elbow" for easy access to Outer Beaches, Monomoy and Bayside.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Nickerson State Campgrounds

Second Adrian's comments. Everything that I have seen, on this site and others, has been very complimentary about Nickerson for camping....tent type and other. What I have seen is that reservations fill up rather quickly so you might want to get to their site and see what is available, if that is the type of "camping" you are talking about. Sounds like fun!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM

I just had a look at the Nickerson web site. they will not be opening until June 13 due to construction and improvements in the electrical & water system. and only a portion of the camping sites will be open with the rest following in July. If you want a spot there to pitch you tent you better call today
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Thanks everybody. Based on what the MA website said, I doubt Nickerson has anything left to book! They said if you call on Dec 13 2007 when they open to take reservations you better have options ready, so I'm betting by now there's nothing left. I'm going to check out one of the private campgrounds in the area. Anybody ever stay at any of these or heard anything about them?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 AM

We camped at Sweetwater Forest and liked it. 7 minutes to Paines Creek.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
mike oliver

Teflon,

If you are going first week in june you are outside of the expensive Tourist season. When you said $50 a day per person is that including food as well as accomodation?

I have seen 4 bed houses for rent at around $1200 for a month! That means 4 of you are still inside of your $50 a day budget if you did not include food as well. So you rent a place for a month and only use for 7 days. It's a great deal. I just googled up houses to rent on CC. Beats a wet soggy tent anyday of the week. My small British Expediitionary force of 5 will be in Cotuit at the same time. You can't miss us. We talk funny and are not very tall. See you in Squires one night.
Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

You guys should make plans to have this coincide with the Spring Clave. I think we're shooting for the weekend before Memorial Day.

I'm guessing I don't need to sell you on the Clave, you've seen the posts. I think rooms at the Horse are usually around $60 for double occupancy so you're only looking at $30 a guy per night. The only other expenses are $10 for the main dinner and bar tabs at The Squire (That can get a little ugly but only if you want them to ).
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave -

Bone up on the blues chops buddy, we are playin the Squire Sat night (or going elsewhere)

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Juro- tell me it ain't so- playin' The Squire? Excellent. The brothers will be up dancing with you.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thats the plan... putting a demo CD together.

Bass player is also a flyfisher and you can meet him at the shows at the iFly rod holder booth. Stop by, say hi and tell him we are 'rockin the squiyah!'

If they won't take us we'll move the horde of paying customers to another venue that will!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Schweeet. Sounds like a time.

Name of that Band Contest? "Juro and the Deep Eels"

Last edited by titleguy; 01-09-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM
mike oliver

Don't let Binksey and Rupert in. Unless totally out of your heads on the Black stuff is OK
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Already getting fired up for the events! Don't know if we can out do last year but Ill give it my best shot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.