Backpacking Bonefish Bum in Bahamas - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 AM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
Backpacking Bonefish Bum in Bahamas

Hi guys,
I have drawn so much useful information from this forum the past couple of months. Thank you all for sharing knowledge and experiences. Iíll repay with some (hopefully) copious fishing reports during the next 3 months where Iíll be heading for some adventures in the Carribean
Among my destinations are the Bahamas. However Im having a hard time figuring out on which islands to put my effort. Eleuthera, Abacos, Andros and Long Island seems like suited spots for a quest like mine.
My main criterias are low cost on accomodations and some fishing that doesnít necessarily requires a car.
The more dirtbag/rustic accomodations, the better.
My conditions are as follows:
- Im travelling on my own with noone to share room costs
- I need to keep my total daily expenses below 100 USD (otherwise Iíll be bankrupt before i reach my return date )
- Iíll be equip with a notebook with a huge google-earth offline cache
- Location where I can find fish within walking distance is prefered (3-4 miles no problem, I have young, fresh legs )
- Im prepared to slacken on fishing quality just to make it work
- I have a sleeping back

I dont expect anyone to give up detailed descriptions on their top secret favourite DIY spots, but more like some pointers on where to focus to be most succesfull given above criterias.
Where would you guys go beeing a 28 years old adventurous lion with bonefish/saltwater addiction and a limited budget?

Thank in advance and Happy New Year to everyone
-Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 AM
In moderation

Hi Lars

The only DIY I have done in the Bahamas was on Acklins.
However the best DIY place I know of is Los Roques. I will be there from Jan 27 to Feb 2.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 AM

Hey Lars,

I envy you. Looks like you are going to have the adventure of a life time. Good luck. Hope you catch so many fish, you can't hold your rod up.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Hi there danish friend,
good luck on your trip, sounds like the real thing. No organised tour, no guide to point out the fish. Just the way I would like to have it too. Hope youīll have a wonderfull trip with nice surprises along the road!
Bon viaje, Sander
Old 12-31-2007, 05:03 PM

That will be a fine trip I am sure, a real adventure, best of luck and please keep us all updated.
Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I can share an awesome location with you on South Andros if you're interested, but there's no cheap lodging nearby. You'd have to camp. Let me know if you're interested...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks to all
Pete, my last trip was to LR and now I would like to see something new. Thanks for the tip anyway. I'll be in Acklins first week of March and I look very much forward.

South Andros sounds interresting... Guess I would have to bring tent and camping gear then? It will probably be too cumbersome as Im already overweighted (thats my backpack + hand luggage, not personally due to christmas food )

I'll be picked up by my sister in 5 hours and then of to Mexico... I ought to get some sleep, but Im affraid I cant. Holy cow Im excited

-Lars
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhnau
South Andros sounds interresting... Guess I would have to bring tent and camping gear then? It will probably be too cumbersome as Im already overweighted (thats my backpack + hand luggage, not personally due to christmas food )
Yup, tent and camping gear required. It's a trip I'm looking to make at some point in the next 5-10 years once my kids get a little older and I've saved up a little $$$.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM

I have done the DIY on Eleuthera. Let me know if you want some info on it.

Man I miss that Friday night fish fry at Anchor Bay - that's some kind of Kool Aid them boys mix up there.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Angelo,
(I think) I have concluded that Eleuthera is only possible with a car, unless staying at Governours Haboor. I guess these fish have seen too many flies to pay any attention to mine? I could be wrong thou... Please let me know if I am

Btw, Im still in Oaxaca, Mexico. I havent seen a single drop of water yet (except tab/bottle water and some fontains in mex. city.) Will be heading down to the Pacific coast on thursday. I dont expect to catch any bones down there, but I'll try to arrange with a fisherman to take me offshore and have some fun.
Anyone fished around Puerto Escondido?

-Lars
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM

You are correct. They are definitely not as easy as they were in the past, but still very doable.

You really do need a rental car as you suspect - it's a looooooong island and most of the better spots are far between.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Hey Angelo!

I sent you a PM
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Hello Gents,
A short report from my journey.
I have just kissed my girlfriend goodbye in Cancun airport after 4 lovely weeks in Mexico. Im curently waiting for my plane to Guatemala, where I'll spend a couple of days (a week or so) chasing sailfish/roosters/whatever-fish-with-anger on my flyrod before heading to Cuba. I'll spare you for the regular boring travel reports, as I have had a few chances to go fishing in her company.
After approx. a week in Mexico City and Oaxaca we finally reached Puerto Escondido at the Pacific Coast. I went out fishing with a local fisherman / tourguide for 2 days and caught several skipjack tunas and spanish mackerel.

Stay focused!

Strike...

Skipjack tuna

After some further stops in San Cristobal and Palenque, we finally reached Yucatan. After a couple of days at the beach, I managed to convince my girlfriend to take a guided tour to Sian Ka'an reserve for bird, dolphin and turtle watch. Could it be more convenient than to take an overnight at Cuzan bonefish lodge?

We went out with a young guide named Juan on saturday. He wanted to check my casting skills before shooting at any fish and I went up in the front end of the boat. As I was pulling line of the reel Juan started shouting "Big school of Permits coming. Grab you 10wt - hurry, hurry!".
A school of 5-10 permit were approaching at high speed, zig-zagging their way. We jumped in the water, and struggled out like 50 meters from the boat while I was pulling out line. A made a perfect cast at around 20 meters, a few meters in front of the fish and stripped the crab slowly 2 times. 2 of the fish changed direction - against the fly. The smallest (of course) tipped down with the tail upwards. A few moments after, the fly line started moving right. "SET THE HOOK, SET THE HOOK" Juan screamed. A couple of controlled stip sets and the flyline went heavy.
It took a short while before the fish realized what was wrong. Then it took of...

Its hard to detemine how long the run was. It was not as hysteric as a bonefish run, but certainly longer. The time it took to get back to the boat was one long run. As we entered the boat, it continued for maybe a minute or two more before slowing down. It might have been out at 150 or 200 meter (I have around 300 meters backing and I was at no point in time concerned). 20-30 minutes later Juan grabbed the permit by its tail and I was a very happy fisherman. What a start - first fish of the day.

"Hurry, hurry"

Yes!

Pure love...

Release

The fly

Juan estimated the fish at 12 pounds. I guess thats a bit unrealistic - maybe more like 8-10, but who cares.
I further caught a couple of jacks and 14 bonefish. Im generally a bit disappointed by the size of the bonefish, but it was great fun anyways.

Thats all for now...
Back to the Pacific

-Lars
Old 02-01-2008, 11:28 AM

w000ps... only 10 pics allowed per post.

Horse Eye Jack

Gentle release

Babybone

To be continued....

-Lars
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
great pics and report! You've been spoiled with that permit--too easy!
Getting me excited for my trips--I'm starting to get tired of winter.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.