Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puerto Rico tarpon trip. Any advice?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am going to Puerto Rico in early January to fish for tarpon. I have booked one day with Capt Omar in San Juan and another day with Capt Rosario in Cabo Rojo. Any advice on which lines/ Flies to bring? The guided trip are only half day so if anyone has some DIY info I would appreciate it. thanks, JWW

#3 ·
My PR post at work was never sent - bonehead move on my part.

Anyway - DIY... Cabo Rojo, crack of dawn go down to the restaurant row and prepare to be amazed. But don't expect to land anything these fish are huge :chuckle:

San Juan - did not fish at all. Good nightlife. I had the traditional fried whole snapper with the spicy sauce - amazing. Snuck into the Marriott for breakfast buffet then headed to Culebra.

Basser and FredA fished with Omar and hooked up. DIY I would look east, satellites reveal outlet of lagoons there. Early morning best as I don't know how safe the area is for gringos.

My favorite area for DIY was El Paraguera to the southeast of Cabo Rojo. Cheap boat rentals and very interesting area although most tarpon concentrated at fishermen's pier up to 100 pounds or thereabouts (good luck landing those!). Saw some permit.

Culebra Island was also fine, but takes a lot of time to get there / back. And many distractions like Mamacita's bar which is right out of a Hemingway novel. Tarpon cruising the canal all day, restaurants docks. Bonefish and permit in the area if you search.

Snook arrive with pilchards later in February. Jacks on the beaches.

Summary: I only did DIY at Porta Del Sol and Culebra, not San Juan. Would like to find less domesticated tarpon but you won't be bored. Bonefishing poor compared to Bahamas. Permit gigantic. Best DIY timed with mass bait migrations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.