Ultralight rod case or tube - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Ultralight rod case or tube

I'm looking for an ultralight case or tube for a 4 pc 10' rod. I'll use it backpacking, so I'm willing to pay a premium for light weight. Does anybody know of anything lighter than the usual aluminum rod tube?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 PM
fish'n Hobo

Hi Josko
Maybe try Thin walled plastic pipe w/ plastic end caps?

Merry Christmas..... to you and your family.

BTW...let me know if you intend to fish the salmon R. this Winter or Spring.... I'd be game to make the trip.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 AM

AS A FOLLOW UP TO JIM MILLER'S' RECOMMENDATION-YOU CAN GET 2"(OD) THIN WALL (VACUUM PIPE) PVC AT HOME DEPOT. IT COMES IN 8' LENGTHS AND HAS PLASTIC CAPS. VERY LIGHT. THEY'RE ABOUT $5 EACH. JUST CUT IT TO THE LENGTH YOU NEED.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM

I just built one for a 9' - 4 piece rod that I got at Christmas.

As nmbrowncom has suggested - I used a piece of 2" vacuum PVC pipe and two end caps. I glued the bottom end cap on and put a bit (about 1/2") of foam in the bottom for some cushioning of rod if tube dropped on end.

I am planning to leave the top as a compression fit only (think it will be good enough for me). I drilled the side near the top and attached a hook using a connector from a hockey helmet (has a nice flat head for inside where the rod is) and also drilled the top cap so that I can put a piece of cord with a knot in and attach it to the loop and hopefully this way not lose my top cap. Note - I am using a rod sock as well which should provide extra protection/cushioning. Overall this is very light. Also note - there does need to be some sor of hole or you will get either a vacuum or pressure in the tube based on temperature changes.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM

Josko - the question of weight got me curious so I just weighed the rod tube.

It weighs 10 3/4 ounces (305 grams) and measures 30 1/2 inches long. For a 10 foot (4 piece) rod it would need to be around 33 1/2 inches and probably weigh around 12 ounces.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Josko,

20 years ago I got some advice that I should cut my toothbrush handle in half to save weight on a backbacking trip. I've been skepical of weight reduction since. How many ounces do you need to shave to have a comfortable trip? Do you have the lightest pack available? How much water are you carrying? What kind of stove/fuel do you have? What kind of food are you bringing? What about clothing, sleeping bag, tent and all of that? What is the contribution in weight that a rod tube can contribute against the total weight? What kind of shape are you in?

I try to keep bulk and weight to a minimum. I also carry an 8inch cast iron fry pan because I LIKE it even though it weights more than the thin walled aluminimum stuff that's out there. I also carry some food items that are not "light" because I like them too. In short, I carry what I want for a memorable trip and if it weights a pound + or - I don't care. You wouldn't care either once you see the first trout rise.

Millerbrown
Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Guys,

if I could buy a tube or case that weighs 6-7 oz and reasonably protects a rod strapped to a pack frame, I'd do it. Prob'ly no need to go into the rest of my backpacking gear, but be assured it's been picked with similar criteria.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM

josko,
How does 3-4 ounces sound? Do a Google search for "ultalight rod case" and you'll find a backpacking store that sells a variety of rod tubes this light (I would link to the product page, but don't want a mod to ban me after my first post here for supporting a 'non sponsor'). PM me if you have trouble finding the site and I'll send you the link.

Another thing you can do is go to your local hardware store. Right next to the fluorescent light bulbs you'll find 48"long clear bulb covers measuring about 1 1/2" wide. You can easily cut these down to shorter lengths with a razor blade. They are better than no rod case at all, but not as strong as PVC. However, at only $5 each, if you find that they're too flimsey for your purposes, it's no great loss. For my fly rod, which breaks down into about 28" long sections, I find that I can fit it into a cut down bulb cover tube and fit the whole thing inside my backpack, which provides as much protection as I've personally ever needed. As long as you don't step on them with your rod inside, you might find these perfectly adequate.

Office supply stores sell cardboard mailing tubes, and generally they have a good selection of lengths in the 2" diameter size. These are stronger than a bulb cover tube, but a bit heavier, and obviously a lot of exposure to water is going to gradually degrade the strength of any type of cardboard.\\

Last edited by grpierce; 01-25-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 AM

G-Loomis used to have light plastic rod tubes. One came with a GL-3 I got 6 or 7 years back. not sure if they still make them.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 AM

Thanks! Backpackinglight is just what I was looking for.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Are PVC/cordura covered rod tubes too heavy for you? They've always seemed pretty light to me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.