ElbowTown Light Beach 22Dec07... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
ElbowTown Light 22Dec07...

Interesting changes...
The two "ponds" are still there but not by much and...
There is a new "point" forming with a channel rip running by to the east and...
A trench with an outer bar and good hydrodynamics to the south and...
The parking lot has new "30 minute PARKING 9:00am-5:00pm" signs...

A view of the new break from Ministers'...if anything, it's slightly wider and somewhat more established and...
(sorry for the poor photo stitch job...)
(If you get down there for a look, bring binoculars or a spotting scope...)
Timewilltell...

ps
The DAZE are officially getting LONGER!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElbowtownLightBeach22Dec07a.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6641   Click image for larger version

Name:	MinistersLookingEast.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	6643  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 AM

old break filling in

Penguin,

Not sure if the light was right when you were there, but yesterday, Dec22, Renee and I were there in the morning during Hightide and light was perfect. You can now see a sand bar running directly across from North beach to the outer tip of southbeach. Judging by the more yellowish than green color of the water we were figuring 3 feet of less of water over this hump at low water. We could hear other folks on the side walk talking about the same line of shallow water we were looking at. If it would stay like that, only shallow drafted outboards will be using the break at low water in the spring. Of course the right storm and wave direction will change everything again, but certainly not too healthy of a situation right now.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey wow - going back to a post in the fall I was musing about the southward shift reuniting the two especially with the Nauset Break to the north changing the situation.

I hope it does, and furthermore I hope the compression causes a connection to the tub thus refreshing the refuge and creating an angling lane of epic proportions between Morris Island and East Monomoy Island which due to the land bridge, would technically be part of South Monomoy which is for the moment an extension of South Beach which used to be called South Nauset Beach until the Chatham Break and thus the tub was part of Pleasant Bay which...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
6th Year Apprentice

nice pic of the Nauset Break pete - you can just make out on the right that the last camp is now sitting in/on the water after the storm washed out another 100ft of beach, which is what i had heard.

no word on the guzzle or the southway though, April still seems so far away....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Very interesting pics, Pete. The dymanics of the "shifting sands" is very interesting. Does anyone know how deep the "new cut-thru' is at low tide? Is the Chatham Fishing Fleet that operates out of Pleasant Bay now looking at having to enter/exit only during certain stages of incoming/outgoing? We still have 3 months of serious weather related changes ahead.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
So...lets see Pete...if we have a moon tide and a n'easter, that kink in the channel in front of the light could actually migrate south into the tub. And with the bar forming on the outside between north and south beach (land bridge), think of the possibilities that Capt. Keith and the Rip Ryder could provide from the new break to the tip of S. Monomoy.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:29 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

The way I see it...(long winded but bear with me...)

Standing near the stairs, panning the horizon from west to east...
The tub looks about the same although there are distant signs of several wash-overs farther down South Beach...status quo...

The "old point" (where the drift wood pile lived) is a fond memory and the "new point" is about 350m to the northeast of the old point...a new wood pile has taken root!
Several pools have formed as seen in the beach photo...obviously fragile and subject to strong surf!? Unless a strong storm hits, the reduced in/out flow will continue to promote Chatham Cut shoaling but I can't see any break thru into the Tub and a return to the days of a major channel past the Light and down towards the former South Way...Too much flow being diverted by the New Breach up in Pleasant Bay...and the deflection angles are too shallow.imho

What with the outer shoal/sand bar that crosses the Cut, there is a noteworthy trench that runs past the new point towards South Beach. Lots of current and VERY fishy looking...Until the next storm changes everything!

The shoals and sand bar tidal islands formerly in the middle of the Chatham Cut (that were so inviting) have disappeared (at least at half tide) and now there is a shallow outer bar that runs from out in front of the "old point" all the way across the Chatham Cut to the constantly changing south east tip of the new "North Beach Island"...

There is NO CLEARLY DISCERNABLE CHANNEL (that I could see) across the bar and navigation through the Chatham Cut at low tide must present serious issues for the fleet (reference the "green shallow strip" mentioned by the Right Honourable Capt Keith)...This barrier sand bar continues up towards Nauset Beach and is a challenge to navigation as it crosses the NEW Breach that has been all the news...
As the sand migrates down the coast from Truro towards Monomoy it's constantly shoaling up in any hollow (ie New Cut, Chatham Cut) and eddys (just as the passing snow plow pushes its' load of snow and fills in your freshly shovelled driveway...damn!) but the flush and ongoing hydrodynamics keep the cuts from completely closing unless there is a pronounced bend as was the case of the old former South Way (now the new Land Bridge)...very different vector dynamics going on at the Chatham Cut but that will change as more tidal flow escapes out the New Cut...imho

Looking hard left from the stairs, the southern end of the old North Beach/Nauset point has grown several hooks and the outer and inner structure and abundant shallows could be very interesting and fishy in the Spring! Too bad it's no longer accessible by over-sand permit...Seals are aother concern, as the Stripes learn to avoid the formidable threat and hold off in deeper bait rich water...

Across from Ministers'...shoaling and hooking is going on in the New Cut...what was once Cottage-ville a la Levittown...lots of structure and a wide and formidable channel and ALOT of tidal flow in and out...but still no DEEP channel and not suitable for the fleet (yet) due to the shaoling and outer parallel beach bar and trench...
LOTS of shoaling going on all around Tern Island and on the inside of the New Cut...
On and on...yada yada yada...

YIKES...My head is going to explode...
Another MAJOR storm and everything changes anyway...FUHGEDDABOUDIT!...
ALL bets OFF until May! But it's still fun to predict what might happen and why...
Anyway...WESHALLSEE!
The ONLY thing constant is constant CHANGE!
Was this overview description of ANY interest to ANYONE or was it just ANNOYING?
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidaze!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM

Pete...it was very interesting. I just wish that I personnally had greater knowledge of the dynamics at work.......currents, direction of flow, wind factors etc.
The whole phenomenon of what happens is just unbelieveable. Google earth needs to update the area daily :-)
Ron
Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 PM

It's not too much detail for me. I've just started learning the area, but the continual change is very much to my liking. Owners of Nauset Beach real estate should read Shelly's Ozimandias.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
The way I see it, two salient points were made from Pete's post:
1. An opening to the tub is probably not going to happen.
2. Long shore currents/wind pushing sand southward will continue to make forecasting an inexact science.

Thanks for the updates. There is a lot of interest on this board to changes on the elbow.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Thanks for the pictorial and verbal updates. Cabin fever must be setting in early this year....This would make a real interesting time lapse photo study, I'm sure. There's no such thing as "local knowledge" the way things are moving around in Elbow Town. Half the fun is re-learning the area every year. Who knows, with the right winds and tides, by spring we may be able to walk from Morris Island to the Rip....

Merry Christmas to all members and may Santa bring us some opening to the ocean through South Beach

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
The parking lot has new "NO PARKING 9:00am-5:00pm" signs...
Guess I'll just have to invest in that remote control "electrifier" for my vehicle that will make it impossible for Chatham's finest to place a ticket without getting a good "jolt" in return

Flydoc
Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 PM

R/C electrifier

Doc....if it works and does not cause a "string" of zero's to be added to the $$ amount send me the particulars.....I have a couple of "locals" that I would love to add a zap to their tap!!! Seriously, now, what can possibly the reasoning of "No Parking 9:00AM to 5:00PM " at the parking lot by the light or are the signs in another lot and I missed change of location?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Exclamation I stand corrected...a "senior moment" and/or a Freudian slip!?

YIKES...What was I thinkin'?!
That should have been...
30 minute parking 9-5
...just enough time for the lemmings to throw themselves over the edge...
My humble apologies to the Board of Selectmen and all the Minions in charge of "transient harrassment"!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Penguin -

The sign of most significance at the light is that sign YOU inspired with that life-saving grab you made for that angler being washed to Portugal.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.