Unusual to me fly rod designation - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Unusual to me fly rod designation

Perhaps Flytyer and others can explain this.

A friend visiting from the UK mentioned his #5/8 weight fly rod. I bet him $5 that description of the designation was wrong, since a spread of 5-6-7-8 seemed unlikely for a single-hand rod.

He sent the attached photo, and I owe him 5 bucks.

Inscription on the rod:

#5/8 9'3" Mackenzie-Philps Ltd
The Yorkshire Graphite Rod

Will those familiar with UK standards comment on whether such designations are common?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4292.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6639  

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 01-01-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Did it come with more than one tip? It's not terribly unusual for a rod to have one tip different than another so that it could cover mulitple line weights. When Kerry Burkheimer had Cairnton Rods years ago he had a multi-tip single handed rod that covered that same group of line weights.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
How many pieces is the rod? How old is it? It's impossible to read anything in that photo, do you have a larger size you can post?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:44 AM

I would imagine it is a slow rod so has a largish window, modern fast rods need a very precise line weight slower rods less so.
On salmon rods Bruce and Walker make a 7-10.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

My thoughts are similar to Malcolm's although I differ with him in that all graphite rods regardless of stiffness or taper exhibit this ability to toss multiple line weights. A few years back (actually more like 15) when Walton Powell was still alive and making his own graphite rods, he used 3 and 4 line weight designations on them because of the ability of graphite to cast different line weights on the same rod.

For example, take a very fast, stiff, radical taper rod like the Sage TCR single-hander 6 wt. I like the rod with a WF6 line on it, but there are many who claim it is not a 6 wt and is really an 8 or even a 9 wt due to its stiffness and the need to put a lot of wood to it when casting a WF6.

Another example is the old Sage 9140-4 "brownie" 2-hander, which was labeled a 9/10. I hated it with the 9/10/11 Windcutter many loved it with because it bent into the cork all the time with that line and really slowed the rod down; however, I found it a rather nice, pleasant casting rod when I lined it with a 5/6 Windcutter, which is supposedly too light to properly load the rod.

Also, lest not forget that if one puts a shooting taper on a rod, you go up 1 or 2 line sizes. therefore, this particular rod maker might perhaps just labeled the rod with all possible line weights the rod would work with: i.e. a DT5 or long belly 5 single hand line; a WF6; a ST7, and a ST8. I'm certain that all of the experienced good single hand casters here on the board have used different line weights on the same rod depending on the line taper and where the rod was being used.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
6th Year Apprentice

yup, its unusual to me. i've seen 6/7 and 6/7/8 but never 4 weights.

I never heard of the maker, although there was a fishing writer called Peter Mckenzie Philps in the 1980's according to google UK.

I have to ask how old is the rod - perhaps if it is early 1980's they thought it could handle 4 weights due to the 'new' graphite ?

Mark.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your replies, folks. I forwarded the thread to my UK friend for his comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.