New at the sport. - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
looking for trout in MA

New at the sport.

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan Emidy and I am fairly new at fly fishing. I live in Blackstone Mass,and my main interest is trout fishing. I grew up on a small pond and fished for Largemouth Bass most of my youth. I also fished at the cape for Rainbow trout quite often, and for brookies at my camp in Maine. I would make flys and fish them off of a stick that I would make from local saplings. I had always wanted to get into fly fishing, and a Bass Pro shop came to town and it got me into actually starting.I wanted to start when i came home from Iraq, but got too buisy with work. I have been fishing for the past 2 months and only had one hook up. I know of a few places that are local and I would like to meet other local guys. That is what made me seek a forum.

Thanks for looking
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM

Hello Dan & welcome to the forum. There is a bunch of stuff you can read that will help you understand some of the finer points of fly fishing both on the web & in print. Or at least get you pointed in the right direction. Have a look in Borders or Barnes & Noble next time you are near one. There are several Books by Lefty Kreh that are good. "Presenting The Fly" comes to mind as good title from Lefty.
The Classic guide to Fly Fishing for Trout, by Charles Jardine is a good book for beginners to read. Just to name a few. I saw both of these books in a couple of different Borders locations recently.

Really the best way is to tag along with an experienced fly fisher and get some pointers. Time on the water and observation of what works & does not is really the best teacher. It takes time to get good at trout fishing.

Asking a specific question here can also help out immensely. Hopefully some others will come along & give you some more ideas. we all have our own ideas about what equipment & flies etc...work best, but there are some basic rules for lack of a better term that all fly fishers need to know. Then it is refine your technique and gain knowledge of the local Bug & food population. after a fashion you will start catching fish on a regular basis
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hello and welcome

Consider joining us at the Spring Clave in May for an introduction to the striped bass on a fly. It's a shame to be in MA and not have tried it in my opinion.

If it doesn't rock your boat the trout will be waiting a few miles away.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM
looking for trout in MA

I have picked up quite a few books already. I have fly fishing for dummies, the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide, Trout Streams of Southern New England,(fuller) Hatch Guide for New England Streams,(Ames)and the novel Trout Bum, (Gierach) I also have Barr Flies which is also very helpful. I have subscribed to Fly Fisherman Magizine for 2 years. I have a few DVD's by Scientific Anglers, and the Trout Bum movies too. All these Publications are helpful, but implementation is the hard part. Getting the drag free drift, not getting hooked up on the branches and so on.

For my equipment I have 2 rods. I have a Pfluger 8'6" 5 weight, with an orvis Battenkill reel, and I have a White River 5'8" 4 weight with a White River reel.(for the nasty overhanging shrubs) I have a pair of breathable waders, and a bunch of common tools. I am going to upgrade mu 5 weight though. It is a tip flex and my cousin has a mid flex that I can cast much better. I am thinking of the Orvis Hellios.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Hello and welcome!

I would highly recommend looking at a mid flex Orvis Superfine over the Helios. It's a much better casting rod. The only attraction I see to the Helios is the light weight, which I don't really see as a big deal. It's not like we're talking about a 2 lb difference here, just an ounce (if that!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.