Ascension bay - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Ascension bay

Just back from the Bay. Had a fantastic week down there. Really nice skinny water bonefishing. The first time I have really experienced big numbers of tailing bones in ankle deep water. They really test your casting out. The three first time bonefishermen had 30 bones between them on their first days fishing so there is something for everyone.

Spent a fair amount of time chasing Permit as well. We saw about 20 permit for the week and I had 3 good shots for 1 eat. Fish ranged between 10-30lb. Felt the weight of the fish, guide called it 18, only for the hook not to stick. Cried for the next half hour. There were plenty of guys landing Permit with Glen and Tom form the states having a double hook up. You really had to be dedicated and ignore everything else on offer. The guides love to hunt them and next time I go back I will spend the majority of the time looking for them.

Plenty of Jacks, cuda, tarpon and some sight fishing for snook and triple tail *along the beaches kept things interesting.

Will organise another trip for May/June when the Mahi Mahi and sails are about and also include a camp out at Espirto Bay where the Permit numbers are meant to be higher still. If anyone is interested prices are around $US2000 for the week. PM me for details.

Mark and a nice beach bonefish

Permit hunt

Crabs

Beach Snook

Mark fishing in his underwear

Flats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Nice photos. Thanks for the report.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 AM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
Great Mat, thanks.
Gotta love that sophisticated way of landing the bone in the lats picture

-Lars
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 AM
In moderation

Nice pics Mat

However it sounds like Ascension Bay is still the same, small fish and permit giving you the fin.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM

Hi Pete,

Yeah the size of the bones average 2-3lb. A bit different to New Caledonia!! But I did really enjoy the ultra skinny water. It really tests out your casting and you had to be spot on to fool those fish.

I was surprised by the behaviour of the Permit. They would charge the fly and even follow it a long way if it was being stripped. The guys that were really dedicating their time to them were landing fish.

Cheers
Mat
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Hey Matt,

Did you stay at Pesca Maya? How were the accomodations? Does it seem like they have fully rebounded from the hurricanes?

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the email. My response keeps bouncing to your email address. Do you want to PM me.

The road down to PA is excellent at the moment. Just under three hours from Cancun and there were still working on some patches. There is still some damage in the area and some debris on the beach but the place was ticking along.

Mat
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Nice pictures and a great report, sounds like a spot I'd like to try some time.
Trev

Last edited by Trevor B; 12-20-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.