Reeling Hand - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Local Boob

Reeling Hand

Just wanted to get the board's opinion on a minor question that comes up for me from time to time.

If you are right handed, should you reel in with your left or your right hand?

I use my left hand because I'd rather have the rod in my better arm to fight the fish, also having done some spin fishing, my left hand is probably better at reeling in than my left.

On the other hand, occassionally when shooting line, the line will get caught on the reel handle - if the reel was set up for right hand retrieve this problem would be far far less. (I also tend to hold the rod Gangsta Style with the reel cocked to the side to elminate this.)

Would be easy enough to adjust to either situation and at the end of the day it probably doesn't much matter, but there is a lot of experience here and figured I'd tap it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Jonesin...

I think greater than 50% of the "experts" say that you should use your dominant hand to reel for any big game species. Personally, I believe just the opposite. In my experience I find I use the dexterity and strength of my dominant arm to lift and control the fish as well as trap the fly line for extra drag control at the end of the battle. I don't get that fatigued reeling with my left (non-dominant hand). If you are getting the running line caught on your reel handle when shooting with a single hand rod (no signaficant experience with 2 handers) it would seem to me that you should focus on feeding the line through your stripping hand after the haul and that should solve that issue as well as help you control your fly placement and be ready to strip on impact with the water.

My $.02.

Sean
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
In moderation

I am right handed.
I cast with my right hand and reel with my right hand.
When a fish is running I hold the rod in my right hand and when I reel in I change hands and hold with left and reel with right.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
When a fish is running I hold the rod in my right hand and when I reel in I change hands and hold with left and reel with right.
IME if you do that with a tuna or other bluewater fish under the boat you will loose inches if not feet/yards every time and add significant time to the battle. Not nearly the same issue with flats species and thus I don't think it matters much in that case.

Sean
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM

I am right handed & I reel with my left. I tried it the other way for a while & found my left arm gets tired faster & it just seems unnatural to me to reel with my right.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Local Boob

With the single hander its easy enough to make that finger guide when shooting the line, with the two hander I usually just let it go as it flies from the basket. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but once or twice a trip (most often when I'm holding the line with the bottom hand for a firmer grip) it will catch the reel handle.

Sean,

I'm pretty sure any one of the tuna you've caught required more reeling than every fish I've ever had on - so if the left hand is good enough for you its good enough for me.

Warren,

Arm fatigue is something I hadn't considered - especially if you are bluefishing for a day and catch a whole mess of fish - may be better to hold the rod with the left and cast with the right - share the load.

Is it spring yet?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
You are witnessing a dilemna that has been discussed ad infinitum. There is no right answer. Lefty Kreh will tell you to reel with your dominant hand. His rationale is that reeling on a long-running fish requires maximum strength, and the dominant hand usually possesses it.

I'm left-handed and reel with my right hand. It has nothing to do with strength. I learned to fish with a baitcasting rod/reel. The handle on that type of reel was on the right. I've tried reeling with my left hand when I cast right-handed; but its awkward.

My gut tells me it makes sense to reel with the non-rod hand so you are not switching hands - efficiency of motion. Incidentally, my two sons are both right-handed, one reels with the left and the other with his right. Go figure.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Pencil me in.....

Reel on top of the rod as with a conventional reel, reel with the dominant hand. Spin and fly with reels below the rod use the other hand..
Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM

This is a good winter thread; it ought to be good for at least 25-30 posts. I cast right and reel left for the dominant hand being the connection to the fish. When a fish doubles back on me, I stick the rod tip underwater if I'm where I can. This helps ensure the fish pulls a bow of line, and is usually plenty of pressure to keep a set.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
mike oliver

Sean,

You have gone and opened up that old can of worms. LOL This debate has been going on for longer than who puts out the garbage at night. Seriously it does not matter what others think or prescribe on this matter which can get seriously hotly debated. All that matters is that you do what works for you. You are not going to change any polerised views and equaly no one is going to change yours. Trust me I can think of no other aspect as this that is more dogmatic or heavier polerised.
Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Landlocked Grizzly

Send a message via AIM to Sephon
I've tried both. Learning how to fly fish on my Dad's rods and reel, I did the right hand cast, right had reel. As I began to acquire my own gear I felt more comfortable reeling with my non-dominant hand. As Sean said, I really like to have my stronger, more dexterous arm doing the fighting of the fish. I don't find it's reeling that is the hard part, but control of the rod and line.

But my little brother, as Dad previously mentioned, prefers right hand casting and right hand reeling. But, he's usually wrong anyway.

-Chris
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM

When I one-hand cast it is always off my right side and reel with left as I feel I have much better "rod control/touch" with my right hand/arm than with left when I am lucky enough to have a tight line . Two-hand overheading I reel left handed, regardless of which hand is "up" in the cast. Interestingly enough this has made me think about where I put rod as I "2-hand strip" and it is always under my right armpit and when fighting fish, always with right arm controlling rod.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:04 PM
_

I grew up fishing with spinning gear so it is just "normal" for me to cast right and reel left, so that's how I do it for flyfishing too. I have considered switching over to right-hand retrieve because of having the line catch on the reel handle, but then I realized that the reel handle is just one of the 27,310 things that my line seems to get caught on when I cast .

The only times I've used baitcasting gear were for ocean fishing, and when I fought the fish it seemed very awkward for me to hold the rod with my left hand and reel with my right. I guess if you do it all the time then it becomes normal, and for that type of fishing it probably is better to reel with your dominant hand. For actually casting and retrieving with baitcasting gear, it seems odd to me that you would cast with one hand and then switch hands before you start reeling . I think I'd just set up the reel for left-hand retrieve.

Q
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Is there a genetic biologist in the house? Jim S casts with either hand equally well....thanks to a heck of a lot of practice and committment. Genetically it is obvious that one offspring went left, the other right (or wrong in Chris' opinion) I have seen Jim switch dependent on wind direction, which allows him to consistently make proper presentations, not to mention gaining "clouser in the head" protection. So......the obvious answer is....learn to cast with both hands.
I for one, cast right handed because it's comfortable......but maybe comfort and preference shouldn't be the goal
Ron
Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Middle Aged Member

I'm, somewhat ambidexterus (sp?). Hookshot is much better lefty, jump shot, righty. Open tough jars with my left, finesse stuff I tend to do with the right. Bottom line, I'm not sure what my dominant hand is. I reel left because it's easyer. As I understand it reeling with your dominant hand allows faster line pickup when fast running fish turn and run toward you. Haven't had to deal with that problem too much. My guess is that if you are used to reeling with the "non dominant" hand that's the one that'll work best for you.

I say, if it feels good do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.