Harry Koons - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
President of CAC

Unhappy Harry Koons

I just read on another board that Harry Koons , the owner of the Shop "Nauset Angler" just passed away today. It comes as a shock to me since I thought he beat that illness. His shop was a great meeting place on and off season and I will really miss him. He was a great guy and a great fisherman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Jonesin...

Very sorry to hear that. While I hadn't been in his shop in a long time he was certainly one of the first fly shop owners I found that really seemed to take the time to take an interest in his customers and really look to leave them with not only a bag on the way out but a bit of his vast local knowledge to go along with it. We'll all have to tie a few Rat's Asses in his honor to fish next season.

Sean
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
_

Sad news, indeed. I bought my first 9wt from Harry. He even told me where I could find some stripers to test it out on .

Q
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM

What a loss for us all. I always enjoyed going into his shop.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
What sad news. I saw Harry in October, and had no idea that he had a health problem; other than his previous bout. He was just finishing the details on his guest house for fishermen. What a great job he was doing, first class. We'll miss him.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 AM

Sorry to hear that. He put me onto fish at Nauset that I'll never forget. A generous guy who'll be missed. FishHawk
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Local Boob

A couple years ago he spent an entire morning in Feburary out on his lawn helpling me re-learn to cast after breaking my elbow.

I had come in for thread.

I'm sorry for his family, and every Cape Cod fisherman.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan

I'm sorry for his family, and every Cape Cod fisherman.
I echo this sentiment. It's a very sad loss for many people. He will be missed.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
CantAnchorUs

I learned to tie the Rats Ass from Harry. And it`s caught me a lot of fish over the years. A tragic loss to the fly fishing community.
Slinger
Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 AM

Harry Koons had a real connection with the Fly Fishing Forum besides advertising his fly shop here.

Those who remember the old days will digress the memories when all the proficient tiers would run workshops at the Marlboro Show supporting this Forum.

Juro, Striblue, Lefty, and others would set up the booth. Everyone would be galvanized around the location with plenty of activity and buzz. Some great tiers too, Striblue, Gil Berke, Harry Koons, and others.

Ah!... the good ole days.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Harry was a close friend and a true practitioner of the art of angling. I read in disbelief, but I guess I have to accept it's true.

The 2008 Spring Clave is dedicated to my friend and yours, Mr. Harry Koons - the Nauset Angler.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Flats Rat

This is so, so sad.

Last time I was on the Cape, I called in at Nausett Angler since I hadn't seen Harry for a couple of seasons. Everything looked closed up and the neighbor said, "Harry's up in Maine fishing!"

I'm betting he's fishing right now!

A true friend to the forum and always willing to pass on local knowledge for those new to the area or looking to explore the Cape beyond Monomoy.

Good call Juro. I'll be raising a glass in Harry's memory this coming May.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 AM

Very sorry to hear about Harry- My Chatham buddy was shocked when I told him. I will wear my "Rat's Ass" hat a little more reverentially now.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
GONE TOO SOON...Harry will ALWAYS be the Nauset Angler!

During my "dark" previous life I lost many good friends...victims of a high risk environment and a dangerous calling...somewhat expected and all part of the ultimate price of admission...
I dodged more than one golden beebee and had more than my fair share of close calls...
Related PTSD and Attachment Disorder issues still haunt me...

New friends...New surroundings...New beginnings...
The Cape has been good medicine for me and the centre of my new universe...
Harry was always a bright star in my sky and a cordial host whenever I stopped by to visit him in his warm and welcoming shop...
Harry WAS the Nauset Angler and will, even in his absence, continue to be a positive influence...

We grieve his untimely passing and deeply regret the loss of his warm and sincere friendship...
For me, his untimely departure will be more profound than the new Nauset Break!
Being blessed with Harry's acquaintance makes me smile but the tears in my eyes and the ache in my heart darken the winter sun and intensify the cold breeze...

We should mourn his loss and celebrate his life and never take for granted friendships and simple joys...
Driving down the road to Nauset Beach will NEVER be the same!
Tight lines, Harry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harry1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	6631   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEACHDOUGANDHARRYANUSET.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	6632   Click image for larger version

Name:	beach-break.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6633   Click image for larger version

Name:	RASS1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	6636   Click image for larger version

Name:	PleasantBayPleasantDay.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	6637  

Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

From today's Cape Cod Times online:
[EAST ORLEANS —

Harry Charles Koons II, 57, of East Orleans, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2007.

He is survived by his friend and wife, Julianne Burnham Koons; three beautiful daughters, the loves of his life, Emily Gagon, Amy Koons and Rebekkah Koons of New Hampshire; a niece and nephew, Nicole Monahan and Erik Bordman. He is predeceased by his parents, Catharine and Richard Koons, and his sister, Susan Bordman.

Harry accomplished many feats during his short life and lived his life to the fullest. His greatest passion and joy, besides his devoted friends and family, were fishing and music. He always felt at peace on the water, organized many bonefish trips in the Bahamas and Mexico, and owned and operated the Nauset Angler. He was written about in many journals on his original designs of the tackle, and was commissioned by many for his artistic talent.

More recently, he got back to his music. He would sit for hours playing his mandolin, and had plans for a Christmas CD with his old friends from school.

He will be dearly missed by many.

Visitation will be held on Saturday, Dec. 22, 2007, from 2 to 3 p.m., followed by a short ceremony, at 3 p.m., in the Nickerson Funeral Home, 77 Eldredge Park Way, Orleans.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his honor to the Interfaith Council for the Homeless, P.O. Box 828, Orleans, MA 02653, or to the American Cancer Society, 1115 W. Chestnut St., Brockton, MA 02301. ]

Unfortunately I only met Harry once, on the day Juro took me out to Nauset after teaching me the casting mechanics of the Atlantis on the lawn next to Harry's shop. He struck me as a very generous and genuine individual. I'm saddened that I won't have the opportunity to get to know him better, given the glowing tributes posted by those here who did. Tight lines, Harry.
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.