Montauk in the summer. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

Montauk in the summer.

Hey guys Im gonna be coming over to Montauk in the summer at the end of May on a student visa for around 2 months. I will be mainly flyfishing from the shore as I couldnt afford to hire a boat. I was wondering what type of tackle I should bring with me and what flies I should tie up etc. And if anyone had anyspots that they could tell me about that would be brilliant . I know that its months away but Im interested in what im gonna need to bring and what kind of flies i will need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 AM
mike oliver

Jack,

Gear wise it's easy. a decent 9wt rod teamed with an Intermediate fly line , a floater and a very fast sinker for the surf beaches. Think in terms of an S8 or T14. Corkers are needed to fish safely when rock hopping. Flies usual selection. Deceivers in std colours, anything that imitates a bunker. Clousers and sand eel flies will catch you loads of fish.
You can fish conventionaly with chest waders or wear a dry top which will alow you to get out to the rocks on the south side. A wet suit is a great way to go to. If the spinning guys can use them to great advantage why not us. I have not seen another wet suiter Fly Boy in Montauk but they must be there it can get lonly being the only one.LOL..
Dawn and dusk and all through the night are your best times.Nothing new there then. I can't post marks on the web as I will rightly be hung drawn and quartered. PM me and I can get you started off though.
Mike
Old 12-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Cheers for the reply have to get some new line and some water shoes. Ive got pretty much everything else. What size hooks would you reccomend that I tie the flys on. The sea cant be too much colder than it is in ireland so wont be too bad wet wading.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
mike oliver

Jack,

Just spotted that you are from Ireland. OH boy do you have a treat instore awaiting you in Montauk. The sea temps in Oct and November are like toast to you and me. I am not sure about summertime though. Be prepared for a totally different fishing experince. Hook sizes will depend on not just bait size but your casting ability and rod weight. I don't like casting anything bigger hook wise than a 2/0 with a 9wt. I prefer a 1/0 if I can get away with smaller hooks. There are a couple of good books that will help you. The one I have read is Lou Tabory's book. You can find a copy dead easy. Hopefully the othere guys will chime in with a couple more. There is a new one by a Ricahrd Murphy I think the name is, that's supposed to be good to. Bob Popovics seems to think it's a great read. Google up Korkers too. You can buy these things from Johnies Tackle or Paulies Tackle in Montauk. But what ever you do don't walk into the shop wearing them without ear defenders on. Korkers will be the most important piece of kit you buy in Montauk.
Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 AM

I got Lou Tabory's book recently which is very helpful. I'll get the korkers when I am over there they look pretty handy. I'll have to go through the book again for more advice. Cheers for the help.

Jack
Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 AM

books to read

Hi Jack
Two books that I recommend are Fly Rodding the Coast by Ed Mitchell and
The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass by Peter Kaminsky

Mitchell's book is similar to Taboury's but definitely worth the read.
Kaminsky's is about him spending an entire fall season fishing the Montauk area.
Good reading
Larry
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks for that Larry I'll see if i can get some of those for christmas.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Right guys its sorted Im flying into JFK on the 31st of may and will be heading up to montauk within a couple of days will be staying near the entrance to the lake so im pretty close to the sea so should be able to get a good bit of fishing in. Recently become obsessed with trying to catch a flounder/fluke on the fly not the easiest to do over here what are my chances in montauk? Does the lake hold any?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.