Brewsters Flats in wet suit - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
mike oliver

Brewsters Flats in wet suit

Guys last year I fished the flats at All Saints arriving at 1.5 hours before low water. It was an incredibly brutal day with high winds that made casting for the right hander nigh on impossible. The best place to be was on the far side of the big sand bank. Only way was to swim across at the western end where the channel was not very wide. I did this and it was not the best decision I ever made as swimming without flippers and carrying a stripping basket and rod was pretty difficult. Put it this way I was glad when I got to the north side of the bar. I took a few fish but was conscious of the flooding tide and did not fancy a repeat of my early swim so bailed out early. Now I did see three other guys turn up after I left and they were having great sport but obviously knew the flats and how they could get off them without drowning.
So my question is to you Guys in the know is how doable is it to stay on the sea ward side of the sand bank and then to swim back in with the incoming tide. This is wearing fins and of course a wet suit. I don't expect to get out on the beach directly opposite from where the swim starts of course due to current.
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Flats Rat

The current pushes through there pretty good on a strong flood - not excessive but it would be hard work staying on a bearing and hauling gear .

I've done it many times in the kayak and that's the way to go imo unless you are a very strong swimmer.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 PM
mike oliver

Adrian,

Thanks. Yes ideally a Kayak would be a great way to learn more about the current strength etc. Problem is getting hold of a decent kayak being a tourist.. American Airways I bet don't alow them on even as carry on baggage.

If I am to do this then the stripping basket does not come with me. Less is more on this kind of approach. 12 flies, spool of tippet material, whistle. light and one rod and reel that's it. All swimming is done on your back no arms at all. I have skished a little on LI so not completely a novice but each mark has it's own hazards and risk assessment is important if you want to stay alive. I would not intend staying too long into the flood before swimming back. First time out it would be more of a very deep wade. You have to learn by degrees a bit at a time. It may be too dangerous to attempt which is why I am looking for some guidence here.
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
You know what "they" say about "if it Phlyz or Phloatz or _____z"...

Don't BUY it...RENT it!
The Penguin knowz where there is an Aquaterra Keowee hanging in some obscure rafters...
It's a tiny stealth tupperware boat with a BIG cockpit and just the sort of appliance that allowz for maximum loiter time over target with a safe (and dry) egress back to terra firma when the flood ownz the phlatz...
As a shameless jesture of International Good Will and Detante...perhaps a resonable security deposit and some treatz for the Girlz (Lucy & Dingo) could free it from the rafters...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:50 AM
mike oliver

Penguin,

I did consider renting a Yak and would also need the roof rack of course. But the swim thing can be fun in it's own right to providing it's safely doable. I guess I enjoy the challange but I don't deliberately go for suicide either.

Mike
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
You're a braver man than I. Then again, I practically drown taking a shower.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Well meaning bystanders...

If you are out on the phlatz in front of an undisclosed parking lot and the flood is seriously under way...
Someone with a cell phone will, more than likely, make a 911 call to the state cops who will call the local polizi who will call the local rescue squad who will call the harbour master who will call the Coast Guard...
If you get my drift?!
...and let's not rule out amorous advances by depraved horsehead bull seals!
Please let me know when you're planning to don your wet suit so that I can get some HD video footage...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
mike oliver

Penguin,

I get your drift. Still chuckling. It's good that people care. Dam, can there be no adventure left in the world.
Cheers
mike
Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hmmm....

with all due respect, the only problems you would solve are hypothermia, elimination of risk from wader impairment in motion and perhaps some degree of flotation.

Those are not compelling to me since the temps are not generally going to cause hypothermia in the dates you are in the US, the rod and stripping basket will impair you seriously unless dropped, and the flotation element would be much better served by something other than a wetsuit.

By learning the paths the fish take, particularly what I refer to as the terminal points in their strafing runs, you can back off along your own paths and still catch lots of fish as they encroach and even find them on full tides right up near the parking lot(s) especially in twilight hours tailing and hunting.

Sure being able to stay out past the tideline will catch you more fish but at what cost. That zone is best left to boats and frankly with some effort the shore angler can have great success - it just takes caution, aptitude and study time.

Although the sands shift constantly, there are nuggets of perennial knowledge that keep you on the safe side of the tide year after year and I feel that starting on the most cautious and working toward the limits is better than finding a way to beat the odds.

Many many fish have blown past already when the tide has made it difficult to get back in.

Also - get a Brewster beach pass at the town hall. Best deal in town and all day access to all beaches from the Orleans to Dennis town lines. Having all of them at your disposal puts less jaded fish in easy reach day to day.

In my past life as a part-time guide the mood of the fish has been second only to the presence of fish, then presentation and last - the fly. However all are important.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 AM

Mike , Stearns makes an inflatable kayak that fits into it's own duffle bag. Another idea to think about. You wouldn't need a roof rack and it travels nicely . This would be better than trying to swim back to shore . Careful out there on the Brewester Flats. FishHawk
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

Brewster flats are nice if you like catching little fish. Probably not worth swimming for.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
mike oliver

Juro,

I hear you. The wet suit I wear is 5mm I also have a 1.5mm neoprene rash vest and on top I have a 3mm shorty to finish off plus a hood.. This lets you stand vertically in the water with your shoulders clear. It's what I wear in Oct and Nov on LI when skishing. There is no way you swim with a stripping basket or without fins. All swimming can only be done effectively on your back.

As no one has appeared to have taken this approach before I will adopt an extreemly cautious approach of a bit at a time so I can establish what happens current wise and water depth wise for a given point in the tide and location on the beach. I hope I don't do stupid. If it is not safely doable I promise you I will not attempt it. It's like mountain climbing you also have to be able to make the descent as well as the summit. The basic start and get off times I have been advised on and worked to on my one and only visit so far. The advice was good and allowed at least a 30 minute margin of error which was appreciated. The person who gave the advice knew we were newbies so gave the extra margin for error. One of our party was only 5 foot tall and that probably came into the reckoning to. LOL. Wish everyone was as sensible.

I also take on board your points regarding fish movements and staging points. Thanks for your considered reply I have listened very hard.

Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM
mike oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
Mike , Stearns makes an inflatable kayak that fits into it's own duffle bag. Another idea to think about. You wouldn't need a roof rack and it travels nicely . This would be better than trying to swim back to shore . Careful out there on the Brewester Flats. FishHawk

Fishhawk,

Thanks for the info. Inflatable kayaks, I wonder how much they get effected by wind on the sea. Will look into them further, Still fancy doing it by the wet suit if it's doable. I do something similar in a Welsh estuary but I know the mark much better of course
Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Mike- I would take up Pete's offer instead. I've got a 14 ft Sea Eagle inflatable, and it is definitely at the mercy of the wind...will be looking into a sit-on-top once I work myself out of the poorhouse. Currents on the Bayside definitely high risk...would advise some form of flotation device and a reliable communication device while out there. We wouldn't want to have to explain your sudden disappearance to the local UK consulate
Flydoc
Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
mike oliver

Flydoc,

Thanks for confirming my initial potential concerns regarding an inflatable yak. Floatation has to come from the wet suit and with 9.5mm over the top half of the body you are very bouyant. You can't swim effeciently wearing a PFD. The main concern is current and it's speed and direction. On LI there are reputed to be about 100 Guys who skish. This is not an entirley new thing, It seems that it has not captured the imagination of the Fishers on Cape Cod. Mind I can see why as you do have some serious currents on some of the marks I fished last year. Ok it's a minority thing on LI and most of the Guys think you are nuts. It' is not something you do lightly which is why I was enquiring about the hazards that exist. You have to accept responsibility if it goes wrong and self help is the first line of assistance. If this is beyond my capability I will not go there. The risk assesment starts on dry land.

Rather than drag this thread on I will committ to having a very serious look see from a kayak first ok. A couple of the guys above have very kindly offered to loan me a Yak.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.