Rooster fish and many others - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM

Rooster fish and many others

Sorry for not posting for awhile but wifi can be hard to come by down here in this part of Mexico. I'm now sitting in this little bar in a small bay named Muretos in the Sea of Cortez. We will leave here tomorrow morning for a 60 mile sail up to La Paz. Fishing is starting to get better as we have found Rooster fish along the sand beaches as well as trevally and dorado. Yes Darado right off the beach in 3 feet of water. Reason being it is 800 feet deep just a 1/4 mile off shore and they dart in and out of deep water crashing bait. Also yellow fin up to 20 pounds crash bait where we are anchored in 15 feet of water. Same thing for the yellow fin they just scream in and out of deep water to hit Mullet and other bait fish. Have found flats that are huge on west side of Baja in the Bay of Magnolina and I know there are bones on them but I had no luck as we had a bad storm out of the south while there and water got dirty. Just talked with a fly fisherman, first I have run into and he told me the flats around La Paz has many bones for miles and miles of sand flats. Got to watch out for all the sting rays that hide in the sand though. We will spend the holidays inand around the island near La Paz and will do a lot more fishing.

Life is easy now that we rounded Carbo wich is like a bad acid trip what a sleazy over developed town. The sail so far has been in and out of some great little towns that are fishing villages and the local lobster fishermen have been very nice to us. They even took our 15 year old son into their care. They would pick him up each morning at 6 am to fish then he would go back to their nhomes have lunch and learn spanish from them. The Mexican people are so wonderful and friendly it is a shame that so many Americans look down on them as they are a proud people.

Well I had better down load some weather grib files for our passage tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am sure I am not alone when I say I am inspired by what you are doing, to say the least.

Here and now in the 21st century we don't set out to find land routes to the Pacific or prove the world is round anymore but there are still ways to prove we exist.

And the strafing runs from the edge sound amazing... do you have a video camera?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Yes Juro life still can be exciting and we proved it on our passage to La Paz. It was our first real bout with true danger and thank god for Tracy's keen eyes. We pulled anchor at 0300 to leave Los Muertos and moved out around some boats at anchor all of them had anchor lights on. It was very dark with no moon and a warm light rain but no wind. Three minutes out we just missed a sail boat coming in to anchor that was not running lights of any kind. Just before we were going to collide his lights came on and we missed each other by50 feet. But hell that was nothing an hour later we were crossing a channel that was 4 miles wide and I wanted to be on the right side of the channel so as not to run head on into big tankers coming down the coast from La Paz. Half way across I picked up a large object on radar at 6 miles headed north. No big deal usually but I could not see his lights as there was light rain and radar also picked up 2 squalls moving in from over the Baja mountains. When the large object was 4 miles out we could see he was on course to intersect us so I turned north and thought he would pass by our right about a mile off. Five or 6 minutes later one of the squalls hit with wind and heavy rain and the radar screen went white and hid the object. He appeared again on radar and I got a visual on him but could not see the colors on his running lights. It was a tanker but what was his heading! Tracy thought she saw red and that was not a welcome thought, I was convinced he was going to pass on our left now. We lost him again on radar and visual so I foolishly went right. We should have called him on the vhf when we picked him up at 6 miles out with the weather and all. At one mile out he he showed up on radar but not visual as the rain was really coming down. He was headed right for us Tracy got on the radio and asked if he could see us and the capitian said no then he said yes but that he could not make a course correction in time. Tracy then saw his red running light I still could not make out its color and this time I trusted her judgement and turned hard to port. We missed this 300 foot tanker by 300 yards and would have hit him broadsides for sure without her keen skills as a navigator. I'll tell you she has really gotten good sailing Hannah on all points of sail in all weather and at night. And I don't mind saying she is better than me now after that episode. We are safe and sound in La Paz at some fancy Marina and enjoying some rest and cleaning Hannah up for company and the holidays.
There are many flats to fish here that can be reached by the Zodiac and will find time to fish them. Tracy will be up grading the blog very soon with our adventures and some really big Dorado pics. By the way one of the cruisers we met hooked and landed and released and tagged a Marlin of about 160 pounds and on a hand line off the back of their sail boat last week as we both rounded Los Carbos. He is an Aussy and has been out cruising with his family now for 3 years and that was his second marlin to the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.