Nautilus Owners - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Local Boob

Nautilus Owners

Just wanted to ask the guys who have owned the reels for a while how well the sealed drag works.

Reason I'm asking is because my pervious sealed reels left a lot to be desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Sean, I have used a Nautilus No. 10 reels since the summer of 07. It is my "go to" reel for the 9wt that I use on the flats, and most anything else in the salt. It has been immersed in sand, and taken a lot of dunkings without fanfare. The only maintenance is a rinse periodically.

A couple of caveats, it has a one-way bearing and cannot be easily converted from left to right retrieve, and vice versa. The older models had a habit of winding line onto the spool during the casting stroke. They have a fix and newer ones have the fix. I sent mine back for the fix, and got it back within a week.

I've since purchased another one as a backup. I really like the ease of changing spools and the locking mechanism is similar to the Tibor Quick Change.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Local Boob

Thanks Jim had you in mind when I made the post.

Basically with Danielson on the sidelines (waiting to see how that plays out) the other contender for sealed drag reel was Nautilus. With the kayak and the clumsiness I think thats probably a better way to go than a Tibor-style reel which you and other have said is a better boat reel. Just was a little leery since every other sealed drag reel I've used has proven to be less than such.

With show season comming I'll wait to see if I can get my hands on either a 10 but that NV style looks pretty cool.

looking forward to seeing you back in my "yard."
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM
LBFF Mojo

Nautilus reels are just as good as danielsson. No real winner, they both rock. With danielsson being in a state of flux right now Nautilus is the best choice right now, that could change but for now my new reels will be nautilus. I have had no corrosion problems so far and I have never cleaned mine, some which are 4 years old.

-sean
Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 AM

How do the nautilus reels compare price wise with the competitors.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM

With the exception of the NV reels they have a nice price point. I'll probably get one just for fishing out to the yak. Would hate to drop a Tibor over the side which would be my luck.
If you check out their web site they recommend rinsing the reel off after each trip to prevent the build up of salt. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is it's a ported reel and the sand could get in between the frame and the spool.
Just my research on this reel which I will probably get. I'm going to take a hard look at these . Scott at the Bear's Den told me that he personally uses these reels and likes them a lot. FishHawk
Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Local Boob

Warren,

I suspose that depends on who the competitors are - which I guess would only be Danielson, unless there is another sealed drag reel that is truly sealed.

My Litespeed touts a sealed drag - it really isn't, same for my LL Bean reel. I've heard from others that the Ross sealed drag leaves a lot to be desired too.

So in my mind - there are only Nautilus, Danielson - and then the cork drag reels which aren't sealed but open enough to allow rinsing. This have proven the test of time but as both a kayak fisherman and an idiot I know my reels will almost always be wet and often come into contact with sand.

More importantly Warren - when the hell we going fishin'???

I caught a few sea-run brook trout this morning - I looked lovingly at the beautiful fish and thought, "Damn, I have flies that are like twice as big as this!!!!"
Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Sean, the Nautilus No. 10 retails for $450, and spare spools are $165. The NV is pretty close to the Tibor in price. It's new, and in my opinion, unproven; although, pretty close to the original design. Checkout their website.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 AM

i've had both the nautilus 10 and 7. couldn't be happier. when i contacted the company for some info a little over a year ago, they asked me what model i had and insisted that i send it to the for a free upgrade even though i was not having a problem. the reel was sent back pronto. this company has a great product and their integrity is scrupulous.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Though more expensive than most Danielsson and Nautilus models, the Van Staal, Hatch, and Mako by Charlton are probably even better sealed. The new Charltons are sealed even better than the previous Signature Series models, and they were the best on the market at the time. Newer reels, such as the Scierra TX2 and CTC are also sealed and are in the same price range as the Danielssons were until their recent price increase.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Life is too short...

To drink cheap stale beer or to worry about sealed bearings!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SamuelAdams.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	6623   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheNakedTruth.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	6624  
Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
More importantly Warren - when the hell we going fishin'???
Soon my friend ...Soon

Now there foks is someone that his priories in a order..... Forget who made the F***ing gear..............Lets go fishing

Peace & love Brother Sean
Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Warren you'll have to join us with your yak in 08. That's the reason I'll probably get the Nautilus. FishHawk
Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 AM
In moderation

I have been using the Hatch sealed drag reel for bonefishing recently. It is fantastic.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Local Boob

Warren...

FishHawk knows...I have a plan...

It will be the coolest thing that ever happens - not just for us - but in the entire history of mankind.

Walking upright...Losers...

Discovering fire...so what...

Walking on the Moon...Yawn...

Planning the fish, fishing the plan...oh hell ya, this is the end point of evolution Man has reached his Zenith!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.