Trevally - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Trevally

What is a good set up , leader wise for Trevally , the simpler the better
thanks Trev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 AM

I'm no expert, but I've used straight 30 lb fluoro, with a bite tippet of 80 lb. The big thing is to avoid getting broken off on coral. It would make sense to use >30lb, but then I find the fly line breaks first.
I've used poppers and floating lines , but fast-sink lines are more effective, IMHO.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 AM

I found that poppers sometimes spooked them, and had better luck with a big streamer.

I think I used a wire bite guard and 20#, but I might have been using a tarpon leader (60#). I don't think that the bite guard is too important. I suspect that straight 30 would be fine. Josko is right. The coral is the real threat. This is one of those times when it is better to be lucky than good.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
In moderation

Hi Trevor

I use straight 60lb fluoro. This is only for abrasion reasons. A GT will normally try to go around a coral head.
I use epoxy head deceivers with a brown back.
This works great in the Seychelles.

Pete
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Pete
Any advice on the colors of the deceivers other than the dark back ? and the length of the leader ?
I'm guessing you must have been away fishing ?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Trev,

Did you get the article I sent through. Great piece of writing by Tim Pask who has landed some huge fish out at Christmas.

I'm with Pete. I fish 60lb stright through generally with a big white deceiver on the end. Have caught them on all kinds of fly's (crease fly's, Merkins, clousers). Have cast at some big fish with small offerings and they have been completely ignored. Big is better if you are going to chase the really big fish.

Regards
Mat
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Mat
Yes I did get the article on GT's, good piece and some great pictures. I am in the throws of making a 12 wt and getting a reel to match, just wondering if I'm up to handling one of those big boys though ?
I'm sure it going to be a great experience in many ways.
thanks Trev
Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 AM
In moderation

Hi Trev

You don't need a leader any longer than 9ft.
As Matt says a Gt will almost take anything, however they sometimes just follow the fly and swim away. You sort of need to get them lit up, then they will follow the fly in the air and hit it as soon as it hits the water. I personally prefer a flashy baitfish pattern.

Pete
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 AM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
Hi Trev

... then they will follow the fly in the air and hit it as soon as it hits the water.

Pete
Sounds soooo cool

-Lars
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 AM

A hookless popper on spin tackle is a great way of starting these guys up..... you just need someone willing to throw it while you fish Also fish cruising with sharks and rays tend to jump all over a fly.

Trev, don't forget you will also find bluefin and barred trevally on the flats at Christmas Island. Both species are great fun. You will find the barred trevally up on the flats tailing aka golden trevs in Australia and feeding on similar flies to bones. Bluefins roam the drop offs and coral outcrops and are probably the least fussy of all trevally and are great on an 8wt.

Barred Trev

Bluefin Trev

GT or Brassy
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Mat
Great pictures and lots of good information, Thanks to all I think I have it squared away as to what I need and how to rig etc.
I get more and more excited with each day and each fly I tie up, can't wait.
I watched one of the videos in the link shown in another post and it shows a guy casting too and hooking a GT, it is really awsome ! they really are brutes
regards Trev

Last edited by Trevor B; 11-13-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
In moderation

Nice pics Matt!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:34 AM

I wouldn't be too conservative on the leaders or the gear. These fish are the work of the Devil himself. They are bitter and angry at life or something. I've never seen such a violent strike of a popper in my life. They'll break all your gear, then they'll break your backup gear, and if they really wanted to, they could break you.

This is my first GT, from Christmas Island about 7 weeks ago. I had a lot of heavy gear with me (TFO Bluewater MD, TFO Bluewater LD, Powell 12wt, Shilton SL8 and SL7 both loaded with 80# braid backing and 60/75# core strength Rio Leviathan) and after what I saw there that week, I wouldn't use anything less. My 80# Fluoro shocks came out frayed every time. I never thought I'd actually be happy that I put 600 yards of 80# braid backing on my Shilton SL8. 10wt would have worked well for the small guys on the flats though, and with lighter shock too - I had 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80 with me aside from my Bonefish stuff. Straight up leaders, no taper, and short, just like everyone else said. These things would eat a license plate tethered to a bright yellow clothes line if you threw it at them.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 AM

Awesome fish!!

Trev,

I hope you are stocking up on 12wts.

Mat
Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Angelo, for a first, I can't imagine what you are going to do for encore. Congratulations, that's a huge GT. Did you target yellowfin there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.