The Politics and Morality of catching Blue Fin Tuna - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
President of CAC

The Politics and Morality of catching Blue Fin Tuna

Bill, I took of the liberty of setting up the separate thread . Here it iis... all can fire away here ..thanks. PS. Other species of fish can also be raised as well. Don't forget them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've always wondered about the survivabilty after the so-called death spiral phase.

The degree of lactic acid build up after a normal length battle is enough to deprecate the value of a fish significantly. Bluefin hunter friends in Maine used an electrode to stun their fish as quickly as possible (chunkers) while on the cell phone to moonies who would be motoring as they spoke to pay the chunkers for their catch after taking a core sample of sashimi from the caudal peduncle to grade the lactic acid effect and thus the payola.

I would be interested to hear objective info on the ability of bluefin tuna to survive the typical battle upon release.

I have no problem with keeping and eating any game within the limits of the law unless the law is faulty. I have no knowledge of the bluefin status / effectiveness of regs and make no statement on such topic.

I am a bloodsport participant, but am proudly part of the greatest force on earth that protects not just the touchy-feely emotions of animals but habitats and entire species welfare.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
John/Sean

I'm traveling, sitting in a motel breakfast room and have no access to my books and information at home. However, just one google post gives these among many others:

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/bluefin.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...efin-tuna.html
http://www.blueoceaninstitute.org/se...ecies/131.html
http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0806-tuna.html

As I mentioned in my post, it was the sexually mature adult I was sorry to see removed from the gene pool. Yes, I'm very aware of the impact my participation in the sport has and I try to minimize it. And I do not fish for endangered fish where that impact is severe . . . perhaps 5% of my released salmon and steelhead perish (I don't know for sure). But I don't fish for endangered fish where 100% of my caught fish die.

One book that comes to mind about bluefin is "The Song for the Blue Ocean" by Carl Safina.

I hope you'll take this in the spirit it is intended . . . information, not flames.

Bill
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
fish'n Hobo

This is a complex issue. It is a global issue and global management dilema.
The quota system and how the stock is divided up is beyond my comprehension.
A case in point: if you don't catch your quota .... you get less quota next time.
These fish are migratory. We (USA) formulate our management philosophy...only to have other regions and countries totally disregard a management agreement.

I do know that sport fishing kills are just a small portion of the factory ship take.

I firmly believe that a tuna fought for a hour on hook and line should be kept. If released, I think the studies show that it most likely dies or falls prey to sharks.
That is surely a waste.

This debate goes on and on, but until we have a worldwide management agreement, I don't think a random giant caught off Chatham by sportsfisherman matters much in the big picture.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
President of CAC

Bill, Thanks for that info and for my reason in settting up a separate thread and I know you were not flaming. A subject as complex actually should have a separate thread...with a title that will get more participation than the back and forth that this argument would develop on the other... a controlled debate as oppose to nuggies to the arm that this would evoke on the Picture thread... One was a picture thread and this one hits directly on the subject...I think a better way IMHO. That being said...Jim M. echoes my feeling in his last sentence. As a side note, the guy in the picture is known in Chatham and is quite a fisherman.If you ever read Carlos Benta in his solo quest for Marlin off Maryland, This guy in Chatham is just like him...solo trips to the edge ( 30 to 150 miles) (with his dog) with multiple rods(and fly rods too). Talk about multi tasking but he is also well suited for safety with triple screws and tethers. He brought that in alone and knows how to handle a boat. I have been out with him before when he takes someone. He is well aware of the issue as well but, like all of us, he has that drive to fish...I feel that he is in a class of fisherman by himself.

Last edited by striblue; 11-21-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
IGFA Introduces A New World Class Catagory...

The LAST Giant Tuna Ever Taken (To Help Pay For The Gas)
'Now accepting nominations...

FUHGEDDABOUDIT!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You do know this means it's officially WINTER now
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 AM
President of CAC

Yes Indeed!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
You do know this means it's officially WINTER now
That thought had crossed my mind midway through the first thread.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 PM

I am very proud to say, in my whole entire life, I have NEVER caused harm to a bluefin tuna.
Have a happy tanksgivin!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 AM

I have a lot of heartburn about a law that allows recs to keep immature (i.e. unspawned) bluefin, or any other immature fish. We should have a 72" minimum size, and perhaps even gear limitations, i.e. no fly or spinning outfits.
Meanwhile, i continue to catch and keep every one that I (legally) can, for lobster bait if for no other reason. Maybe somewhere, subconsciously I feel that such an ostentatious use of a scarce resource might build momentum for a rule change, but objectively, I don't have much hope of that happening.
This summer, limiting out on 3 fish/day was a virtual no-brainer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.