Wayfarer Rods ??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM

Question Wayfarer Rods ???

Wayfare rods, are they any good? Any model number of pieces better than another? (5 piece better than 7 or 6 etc.) Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Redington makes excellent products for the price, and the Wayfarer rods in general get excellent reviews. Can't give you any specifics though since I don't own one.

With regards to the number of pieces, the more pieces the more the action of the rod is compromised because the joints can't be as flexible as the rest of the rod. They have to be beefier to take the strain of being a joint. That being said, joint technology has come a long way and it's hard to tell apart a 4 piece rod from a 2 piece one. But you will be able to tell apart a 7 piece from a 3 piece.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
_

I don't have any info about Wayfarer rods but I will toss in my $.02 regarding the number of sections. I prefer rods with an even number of sections because you can take them apart at the middle and fold them in half (with the line still through the guides) for short-term transportation and storage. If the rod has an odd number of sections then you can't take apart just one ferrule and have two equal-length sections. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it matters to me so I thought I'd mention it.

Q
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Jonesin...

I own a 9 for 9 wayfarer I got about 4 years ago. Great rod for the money. Its a 5 piece. Although I agree with Quentin in that I generally would rather have a 4 piece it works great since it is just short enough to fit in my seat storage compartment on the boat as a backup stick. I would classify it as a moderately fast action with decent feel.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.