RI Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
resigned

RI Report

Headed out to Misquamicut Beach Friday morning at first light to see what all the commotion was about from the past two days of reports. Boy were they right. There was a blitz of major proportions from the Watch Hill light and on past the Andrea. Hooked and released many fiesty school bass up to 25 inches. High tide was at 7:40am and the birds abrubtly went elswhere after 8:30am. No blues and the fish were at my feet for the most part. Will try again in the morning and see what this NE'er will do the the activity. The Big Lady is heading for the stage. Let's just hope she's too fat to make it up the stairs.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 05:30 AM

I almost made it down but decided not to because of the NE wind. Looks like the window is very small maybe a couple of hours or so. That 's Fall fishing. You sort of have to be a local and fish the small window and not have to worry about a 4 hr round trip drive. FishHawk
Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM
resigned

Today was a carbon copy of Friday except I saw a 35 lb. fish landed and killed. It fell to a plug. Schoolies were bigger today.

Phil
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
resigned

Sunday and Monday still going strong.

Phil
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Plenty of schoolies off Five Cottages today, Monday.
Lost count.... all stripers.
Hundreds of birds with a few gannets mixed in.
We splashed with the temps at 23degrees.
Motor started right up.
Flat calm.
Stripers are slowly head west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Smile RI Watch Hill Beaches

Wednesday rained early then cleared up. I took my annual pilgrimage down with the Maritime skiff to fish this area and extend the season as Maine waters are 45 degrees and pretty much dead for bass. Ahh, it's always good to negotiate the room fee at the Stardust hotel on the hill. I need to find a better $50 room...but anyway it was all worth it when we launched at Barn Island and headed around the corner. It pretty much sums up to say we were on birds and schools of bass all day. They were eating silversides 3-4 inches long. It was good to see the beach guys driving up and down, running from the truck to waters edge casting like hell and hooking up. We did not have a single bluefish. Bass were 18-25" and we were on them all day. Great fun and it's always good to get a season extender in. Now I can rest in winterization peace and chase sea run brown trout for another few months. Hope you guys have a great winter.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
_

Thanks for the report. Glad you got into 'em for your last trip of the season .

I hope to be one of the guys chasing them from the beach this weekend .

Q
Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Phil et al, thanks for the update on Rhoddy fishing. It appears that you have the last migrants passing your way to southern waters. I would like to fish that area sometime, but hate to leave the Cape because of the variety of locations to fish. Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 AM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Phil et al, thanks for the update on Rhoddy fishing. It appears that you have the last migrants passing your way to southern waters. I would like to fish that area sometime, but hate to leave the Cape because of the variety of locations to fish. Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.
Jim. Please do. There are enough contingents from the Forum to show you around. Access can be tough without a kayak in some of my favorite areas. We have Sandy Point which is a diamond in the rough and would remind you of the elbow in micro. Then, there are the salt ponds and the worm hatches. I could go on and on but you'll have to come and see for yourself. I miss fishing the Cape and I agree with you that it surpasses most spots on the globe in the NE as far as sheer beauty.

Phil
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Secret:Time on the water

The big girls have not moved through yet

Fished in the gale this morning, solid 4-6 fters. Far to rough to attempt a flyrod assault but we came prepared with some bass candy. Landed 6 bass all over 41" and the biggest being 45.5" 35 lbs. landed by yours truly and the first decent bass I have caught in months. I still think the big girls are a bit away yet and the only issue is the cold and weather. I know we quit well before the fish do.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS

Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.
same here, i have been reading a lot about the big fish they catch at night from those boulders and it sounds mouth watering. i also hope to hit those salt ponds in july and august at night.

if south beach fails to improve, i see myself spending a lot more time bayside and in RI next year.

Mark
Old 11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
resigned

Took the water's temperature this AM at Misquamicut. A balmy 53 degrees. I arriveed one hour late for a blitz that made it to shore. Loads of large bunker in the wash. That golden number is approaching this week. The cold nights are upon us.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.