Rod Advice - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Rod Advice

I need a little input on a rod I want to build for the Great lake tribs. Thus far I've used 9' rods in various wieghts for my steelhead fishing while servicable there seems to be something lacking. I'd like to build a steelhead specific rod this winter but I'm not sure in which direction to turn. I Fish mostly the Erie tribs in PA and Onterio tribs in NY but hope to expand in the future to the the Catt and maybe into Ohio. I would like to build a versitale rod that will allow me to high stick skinny waters and swing flies through some of the bigger waters on a sink tip.
My first thought was a 10' blank such as a DanCraft 6wt does anybody have other suggestions? Experiances?
Thanks
Joe
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Joe, a 10' blank for a medium action would be my recommendation for swinging streamers and high sticking/mending. I built a 6wt 9' 9" St. Croix Legend years ago that has been my "go to" rod. Fighting butt and oversize guides (ice buildup) are options to consider.

Don't know if that blank is still available, but a medium action is requisite for light tippets of 4-5x for low/clear water. That type of rod is ok for swinging streamers in the bigger streams, e.g. Catt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 08:35 AM
fish'n Hobo

What Jim said. Good advice.
If they are still available.... the Sage SP 896 makes a nice rod. Enough softness in the tip to cushion the tippet .... and enough backbone to cast a line. I have a 10' orvis TL mid-flex 7 wt and a custom 10' 6wt. that work well also.
Problem is (if it's really a problem) .... the trout may be from 2 lbs to 20 lbs. A drift may produce a fish of any size on any day. Either you are under gunned or over gunned. I like the 8wt in the fall/spring and a 6 or 7 wt. in the winter.

Last edited by Jim Miller; 11-09-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM

New steelhead rod

Is it worth looking into 2-handed rods as well?
Take a look at Peter Charles' website., just one message below "New Domain Name & site update".
Maybe something you wish to consider.
All the best
Tom.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks guys
Considering your input I think I'm on the right track with the Dan Craft FT1006-4. I also talked to Bob Meiser (R.B. Meiser Rods) about it, as I was considering one of his switch rod blanks and he also thought the Ft would be great. Explained how I could set it up as a switcher and incoprperate some two handed spey techniques. Nice guy spent a lot of time on the phone with me especially since he suggested I buy blank other than his, don't meet to many guys that up front anymore,refreshing.
Oversizeing the guides is another good idea and one I had planned on, nothing like constantly bustin ice, how far do you guys over size? I would probably use # 2 running guides on a 6wt but maybe #3's would be better.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7

That rod would be ideal for your application. You can single hand it, as well as, use two hands. Dry line with a SAS #8, or a Delta Spey 6/7. It also works very well with a Skagit style line for tips. You could also go to a sinking Scando type system. I know Bob Meiser has used it for Silver salmon into the teens.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_richerzhagen
That rod would be ideal for your application. You can single hand it, as well as, use two hands. Dry line with a SAS #8, or a Delta Spey 6/7. It also works very well with a Skagit style line for tips. You could also go to a sinking Scando type system. I know Bob Meiser has used it for Silver salmon into the teens.
t_richerzhagen
You are right I had it out this weekend and was very happy with it. I lined it with a WF#7 floater but I think I need to move up to an 8 as you suggest. Rod action was teriffic delicate enough to protect a 4x tippet yet plenty of power I have no doubt this would be a terrific rod for silvers. Do you have any idea what the grain window would be for this blank? Here is a picture of my sucess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dt6w steel07 094 (Custom).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6615  
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 PM
fish'n Hobo

TL
A Pretty rod and a nice steelie!
All is good in the world!

If ya get a chance....post some more pics of the rod build.... looks like a beauty!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM

TL,

Lots of good advise on this thread. If you are looking for a rod for fishing heavy tips (swinging flies on the Catt and such) you may want to go with a rod a bit heavier than a 6wt. They do not handle heavy tips well. Meiser switch rods would work ok. Huckleberry’s idea about the 2-handed rod is also a good one. I use a 2-hander exclusively on the Catt, Salmon, Genesee, Oak Orchard and Niagara and even sometimes on the smaller tribs if the water is up. Bob Meiser is a good source of info on 2-handers as well as switch rods. I have a 12’ 8wt. that is probably my go to rod for fishing tips on the great lakes tribs.

Charlie
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Bob Meiser

lists the grain window as 350-500 for the 11'7" 5/6/7.

That was a lovely fish.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 AM

I have one of Bob's 106678 switch rods which I use for swinging on some of the smaller tribs. I also bought an adapted WC from Bob (basically a WC w/tips with the second belly section removed) essentially this is a light Skagit setup. With this line I have no problems turining over a type 8 tip (I cut all the tips back to 13 feet however). It's a bit clunky considereing the smaller stream setting but not all that bad since the tips are tapered.

I also have ordered a 126456 highlander from Bob. I got it for Rainbows in Alaska but I have a feeling it will be my go-to rod for swinging on smaller streams in the Great Lakes...should be a great Catt rod. I'll probably only use the switch when on small very brushy streams. The 126456 may be a rod to consider if you are high sticking often as it would protect light tippets fairly well and should handle all but the hottest lake erie fish. plus it would be much better for the swinging. I think Bob quoted me that the Grain window on the rod is in the 350-500 range. I have found that Bob's rods don't complain too much however if you push them a bit beyond the published grain window.

tight lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.