Boston Harbor - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2000, 10:32 AM
President of CAC

Boston Harbor

I have been asked to come out on a boat Sunday afternoon in Boston Harbor with a new flyfisherman. I have not fished Boston Harbor before. I am asking if anyone can give me a brief overview of what "general" areas we might consentrate on apart from following bait or birds. We will be out from 2 till dark so there will not be a lot of time but I would appreciate any guidence here since my haunts have only been Chatham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2000, 11:57 AM

RE:Boston Harbor

Where's Bob Pink when you need him?
Make sure you at least try the rip at Deer Island and go over to Hull Gut if you can. If those are slow try the outer harbor for passing fish around structure. Good Luck.

TerryW
Old 10-13-2000, 12:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bob's out chasing hawgs... at CHATHAM! Ironic.

John -

Where are you heading out from (Hingham, north, etc) and does your friend already know the spots using conventional gear?
Old 10-13-2000, 12:52 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Terry that's a big help. Juro I think we will be heading out from Boston proper,somewhere in Charlestown or down town Boston. He does fish conventional gear and does not do so often.. We will be bringing our 10 year old daughters...so this will be more low key than I am use to,but it should be fun. I just thought that if I could point out some of the key spots we could have a good tour of the area and do some casting. If no fish ,so what, I always need to work on casting .
Old 10-13-2000, 01:15 PM

John -

I've had luck in the past on the north side of the airport in the Winthrop area, fairly secluded too.

If the seas permit, I'd like my chances around the islands too.

This time of year I think it's going to be rips, birds and bait - wherever you find them.

JeffG fishes the hahbah a lot; I hope he sees this thread...
Old 10-13-2000, 02:05 PM

I am here, but unfortunately I am a little more behind on the Harbor than I should be since I didn't fish it last weekend and this time of year it really pays to follow the feeding trends, as they become much less consistant.

With that being said:

I suspect you will have little to no visual aid (i.e. birds/breaking fish)to work from by starting in the afternoon, unless it is nice and overcast. Two Sundays ago I did a midafternoon trip and never saw a bird or breaking fish. I did see some nice, big pods of bait in Hull Gut and the inside flats area, but no fish actively feeding. With the reduced boat traffic and the outgoing tide, drifting and casting toward the north side of the Gut (toward peddocks) is always a good bet, just be careful of the rocks!

If you start out of Boston proper, definitely check out the surrounding inside areas. Scout the triangle made by Thompson-Spectacle and Castle Island as there are almost always school fish hanging around in that vicinity. Drift and cast off the tip of Long Island and try the rip at Deer Island. I like to drift the slot between Deer and the channel marker island off of Deer. Faun Bar has been producing for weeks now and is good on the outgoing, just be careful again of boating around the structure. Try drifting both sides of that channel marker--it's a nice rocky drop off and can hold lots of fish

If none of that pays off i would suggest staying inside and heading gover to the Fore/Back or Weir river or maybe Quincy Bay rather than going outside--in my experience the outer islands really turn off this time of year, despite looking so inviting. The water is warmer inside and that is where the bait is.

Stick with sinking lines and juve imitations. Many people love half n' halfs in the harbor, and i also do well with grey and white big eyebaitfish or various colored flatwings. There is just a ton of diversity in the harbor, lots of it is very deep, and even though the water is clear you may never see the fish so just keep casting to fishy spots (of which there are thousands).

Good luck, it can be awfully spotty this time of year, or you could hit the mother load. I might be out on Sunday afternoon if it is nice--feel free to try me on 66 or 69-- "Elizabeth Reed."

Jeff

p.s. if you go under the Long Island bridge, throw a few around the pylons and try the area called sunken ledge (it's on the chart) between Hangmans and Quarrantine...
Old 10-13-2000, 02:38 PM

Jeff -

Awesome feedback! With the amount of fish pushing south from the North Shore, the hahbah's going to light up at least one more time. There are a lot of fish up there right now.

thanks and good luck,
Juro
Old 10-13-2000, 02:41 PM
President of CAC

Jeff, I don't know what to say but that this is great information... I am going to frame it for future reference... Thanks to all for taking the time.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:28 PM

geez, I wish I did have some current harbor info. As Juro implied I've been on the hunt for red october (subs off chatham). So far no joy but see other post for details. As for the Harbor I'd consider not spending too much of the time running from place to place. My guess would be ( as jeff suggested ) that with these fish moving from the north that the Fauns (right off deer island to the east) might be just hopping at dusk if they make it that far by Sunday. If you are over on the hingham side, Sunset Point insdie of Hull and around Slate/Grape islands are likley spots. There is always that chance of an afternoon blitz but it is less likely than the am. Enjoy, ps: if nothing else the sunset from Boston Light is not to be missed....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.